Disney Quest to close in July 2017

Honestly I love DQ, they just need to seriously update things . The whole comic thing should have been turned into a Star Wars light saber game . That game pod rescue mission thing should have been updated to a Star Wars space battle ect ect

alphac2005

This thread went off the rails pretty quickly, even for here. :) One quick point about the NBA is that the paying audience is among the highest in professional sports. Here in Atlanta, there was a great piece down about a year ago about the topic along with exploring racial issues that can't seem to go away in this country. The Hawks started putting out a good product and kids started wearing hats and jackets in droves for the team. I have a hunch that it isn't the sign of doom of an impending gang war. ;)

Seriously, on the ESPN side, the issue is going to be substantially slowed down growth in carriage fees, which will in-turn slow revenue growth for what is 45% of the company's current profit. For all the moves that Iger has done to irk hardcore fans, the acquisitions are a long-term play to diversify and lessen the reliance on ESPN. If you look at the sheer size of the company, it should be distressing that this unit within a unit has such a large portion of the profit pie. Way to unbalanced and of concern as viewing habits change. From my time in the business and now just an observer, it appears that we need a few more years to see the shakeout. Disney is more vulnerable and less at the same time. They have a group that is sick of paying exorbitant TV bills because of sport, but they also have a crowd that will pay nearly any price. As the providers have gone to essentially throwing in TV in many bundles, the thing to wstch for is the attrition rate on those accounts once their contracts end.

One other quick point: With an ever growing population, you have sheer numbers of people helping to aid growth even if there is a loss by a segment within. The cable operators did this to themselves by giving into the demands of the providers for too long and only started playing hardball when the cost on the consumer end went beyond the proverbial tipping point.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I like this idea, and think it would dovetail nicely with an idea I've had about DisneyQuest for years now: YesterWorld.

They have the roller coaster simulators already. Fill the space with simulations of dead attractions. Judging by the conversations here, there are people who would pay a premium to be able to ride Journey Into Imagination, Horizons, etc. again.

As a way to draw people to Disney Springs, they could also include rides that are currently closed for maintenance/refurb with the day's admission to that park.

Finally, (and here's the real moneymaker,) simulations of rides "in development". These would not be open to the public. They could beta test them on select focus groups BUT offer vouchers for one or two "test rides" per year included with DVC membership.

What do you think, sirs?

I love the idea but Disney would never do it. Disney would never admit openly that older attractions that were replaced are worth bringing back.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If it was truly an attraction, with rides or interactive experiences, then almost certainly not. They could probably put up a store with a M&G, but not enough to fill the DQ space. Could be a part of an overall attraction that featured other stuff, maybe, depending on the execution.

It doesn't appear that they could put up a store, they already opened a super hero store but the Marvel name was not used and there is very light Marvel theming.

Next Big Thing

So.... eight pages in, Lemmie see if I follow this correctly:

Disney wanted the NBA to pay to rehab the existing structure. (NBA Said No)

The NBA wanted Disney to tear down the building or pay for the rehab. (Disney Said No)

Then the NBA took its ball and went home? Thats essentially what happened?
Shouldn't all of this been hashed out in initial contract negotiations though (And certainly before publicly announcing it).

That's what I don't get.

Next Big Thing

I haven't been in the store, but based on the pictures and videos it appears that the theming is mainly based around Shield, not around the major Marvel characters.
This is true. Maybe I just really appreciate the SHIELD theming being a Coulson and Agents of SHIELD (post-season 1) fan.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Shouldn't all of this been hashed out in initial contract negotiations though (And certainly before publicly announcing it).

That's what I don't get.

That's assuming there was a contract. Neither the NBA nor the Disney announcement talks about an "agreement" or "contract", they simply say that this concept was being developed. Maybe they this concept was still in development but issues prevented it from getting as far as a binding contract.

Next Big Thing

That's assuming there was a contract. Neither the NBA nor the Disney announcement talks about an "agreement" or "contract", they simply say that this concept was being developed. Maybe they this concept was still in development but issues prevented it from getting as far as a binding contract.
If that was the case, an announcement was pre-mature then.

Next Big Thing

If anything I think the NBA was trying to save face and make it look like they were leaving Universal instead of being kicked out early.
Possibly.

I personally think the building is too large for anything other than a performance arts theatre or what currently resides. Even an ESPN Zone I'm not sure could fill out that building.

I think they need to start from scratch and knock it down. I would like to see a form of the aforementioned ESPN Zone though.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Possibly.

I personally think the building is too large for anything other than a performance arts theatre or what currently resides. Even an ESPN Zone I'm not sure could fill out that building.

I think they need to start from scratch and knock it down. I would like to see a form of the aforementioned ESPN Zone though.

Sports bar seems like the most economical thing to do.

freediverdude

You shouldn't. There's some fantastic venues and restaurants on there and Sandlake.

I-Drive is being revitalized and attracting more and more people with the Orlando Eye and the attractions on that end.

And even better, you don't have an over bearing mouse as a landlord and having to play by their rules. You can do what you want.

An over bearing mouse?? How dare you sir! *slaps PhotoDave's face with white glove*

jmancan

See the team logo = street gang affiliation chart I just put up. Examples being IF you see Celtics gear in LA it generally means you are looking at a member of the 'Spanish Kings' where in Boston it merely means you are a fan.

This is why so many schools including my DW's have banned the wearing of athletic apparel with other than the schools team logo.
1411509777973.jpg

(seriously, i know this is the internet, but how did this all of a sudden get crazy racist?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom