Disney Quest to close in July 2017

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That is laughable. I actually AM a Celtics fan (and B's, Pats and Sox - have many many old Jerseys). I also have seen the Celtics in LA and Red Sox in Anaheim on separate DLR trips.

Does that mean I'm all of a sudden a part of some gang? Get out of here with your 1950's racism.

Take the blinders off pal, The ONLY reason I know about the gang affiliations was I wore my Celtics cap to my wife's school when I brought her something she needed and the resource officer asked me to remove my hat or leave the building. Asked why and officer said policy was because of gang affiliations being covertly advertised using athletic wear.

THAT's how I know has ZERO to do with racism and everything to do with a local government policy and I live in farm country where gangs supposedly don't exist.

Here's a Link from the NC Gang Investigators Associationon the subject.

www.ncgangcops.org/archives/Team%20Logos.pdf

And another from the NY Post

http://nypost.com/2012/08/26/no-good-comes-from-gang-inspired-sports-apparel/

So if your local team wins the playoffs and your kid is sent home because of wearing something associated with a sports team this is WHY.

jakeman

Take the blinders off pal, The ONLY reason I know about the gang affiliations was I wore my Celtics cap to my wife's school when I brought her something she needed and the resource officer asked me to remove my hat or leave the building. Asked why and officer said policy was because of gang affiliations being covertly advertised using athletic wear.
Maybe you live in a crappy area?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So lets get back to the business side of things. ESPN (thats the Disney sports channel) is going to be losing its captive audience and their monthly dollars. Disney is already paying the NFL 1.9 billion a year for Monday Night Football and for 2016 the NBA 1.4 billion. In October they cut 300 ESPN employees just to maintain profitability.

Tell me why the NBA not coming to Disney Springs is a bad thing ? If ESPN wasn't part of a programming bundle its estimated that it would cost ~ $27 by itself to keep the same levels of coverage. You cant find one of the major cable providers that does not lump it in with the top tier packages so customers are forced to buy it.

Biff215

THAT's how I know has ZERO to do with racism and everything to do with a local government policy and I live in farm country where gangs supposedly don't exist.

Here's a Link from the NC Gang Investigators Associationon the subject.

www.ncgangcops.org/archives/Team%20Logos.pdf

And another from the NY Post

http://nypost.com/2012/08/26/no-good-comes-from-gang-inspired-sports-apparel/

So if your local team wins the playoffs and your kid is sent home because of wearing something associated with a sports team this is WHY.
I'm actually not surprised this mindset is coming from "farm country". I teach in a diverse district where we are well are of gang affiliations. Still we don't begin to lump every sports franchise into some ridiculous list of banned items in our schools. That's just making the issue worse IMO.

Back on topic, I agree a theater featuring Disney on Broadway shows would be a great addition. But as others have pointed out, they likely don't want or can't compete with Cirque, and I'm not sure they could use the current building either, requiring a significant investment which Disney clearly doesn't want to make.

Tony the Tigger

Actually DirecTV offers a non-sports package. You save a few bucks a month, get a few extra channels like cloo, and I think you get the basic ESPN but none of the extra ones.

Imagineerwannabe

Yes please, back to NBA vs DQ discussion...
In all fairness I had heard this same rumour from a cast member friend in November that the NBA deal was not looking good but I just didn't really believe him...

NearTheEars

No, it's not. The only racism is in trying to make the comment about race, and not about the number of criminals who play for the NBA.

The only connection to the NBA or the other sports was there logo.

According to that list, that's just the hats or whatever it is that they allegedly wear.

They would be wearing the team logo hat to represent said gang, not because they are an NBA fan.

That's why saying the NBA coming to DS is a bad idea because of gang symbols is laughable.

Biff215

Farm country?

Maybe settle down there a bit with the generalities, Billy Yank.

Back on topic: Brewpub...get on it Disney.
Not my words, which is why I quoted it. I'm not trying to go down that road, I know racism exists everywhere. I was just trying to point out the differences in policy, nothing else.

EngineJoe

NFL is huge in the uk now, NBA like NHL has a marginal following it seriously lags behind the popularity of Football (soccer). One of the FB pages I admin on has 40k mainly British members and whilst some gave DQ a wide berth due to the costs before, the announcement of NBA replacing DQ was more of disappointment than excitement as it's simply not something followed or readily covered on UK tv or media

Are you from the UK?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom