Disney Q1 2019 Earnings Report

DisneyGigi

Disney can and will have enough Marvel Characters in their WDW parks to please all the Marvel fans. They will also have all the Marvel Characters in all their other parks and will be the only company that can advertise Marvel Characters in the rest of the world once the Japan contract expires in about 10 years. Everyone will know Marvel is Disney's and that is where to go to get the full Marvel experience. I am looking forward to seeing all of them at Disneyland, Paris, Shanghai. Hong Kong and Japan and most of them at WDW. Let Universal keep the rights they have and send Disney quarterly checks.
All I am saying is in the US parks, the only place we go, (many times a year) don’t care to see Star Wars, it is old and moldy. The younger generation, my son, (his friends) his kids, are into Marvel. They could do so much better in the long run, with Marvel. The younger generation is not going to line up for Galaxy’s Edge. Like they would for a Marvel Land jus saying. My grandson knows Chewbacca, that is it. He knows every single character in Avengers.

WhatJaneSays

All I am saying is in the US parks, the only place we go, (many times a year) don’t care to see Star Wars, it is old and moldy. The younger generation, my son, (his friends) his kids, are into Marvel. They could do so much better in the long run, with Marvel. The younger generation is not going to line up for Galaxy’s Edge. Like they would for a Marvel Land jus saying. My grandson knows Chewbacca, that is it. He knows every single character in Avengers.
And I have half a dozen nieces and nephews under the the age of 12 that are already bugging me about going to Star Wars land when they visit for the holidays. They both do well. As a life long Marvel (and Star Wars) fan, the MCU and related projects are sill very much in a growing phase. Star Wars is just in it's long tail of stability already, it's going to be generically popular for a very long time regardless of the output of new material.

seascape

I get what you are saying and you may be right that a huge Marvel Themepark in Orlando would draw over 20,000,000 people a year. But that will not happen as long as the rights are split between Disney and Universal. On the other hand HS will eventually draw over 20 million after they do a major expansion of SW:GE into the parking lot and expand in the back of HS from Toy Story Land all the way to Rock and Roller Coaster. They may not want to expand HS to that degree but they will have no choice with the crowds the will get.

Disney Analyst

You say that, but I think Star Wars will lend itself far better to an immersive, detailed, and insanely themed experience. Marvel is basically set in the modern world, that’s not an exciting place to go visit.

HauntedMansionFLA

How bad is ESPN doing? Is it still bleeding money ( as some people would say) the same way as a year or two ago? It use to be the biggest money maker. Thanks for any insight

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve been hearing nothing but how occupancy has been down for 6 months but spending was still up. Guess all that information was wrong.
Park attendance appears to flat and spending is up due to price inceeases...is another way to look at it.
I was shocked at the high occupancy rates. Expected a drop due to people waiting for GE. People who want to visit the first few months GE is open better get those ressies soon. IMO.
That’s not how on property rooms go...the majority are occupied by frequent visitors, groups,
Conventioners and those first timers with longterm
Plans...there’s very little flux.
They aren’t waiting for “galaxies edge”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
ESPN is still very profitable but not as much as in the past. To say it's bleeding money is flat out wrong.
They slashed 75% of their payroll over the last five
Years...and yet still their overall contributions to the bottom line have fallen
wait a second, there wasnt a 30% drop in attendance?
No...and it wasn’t suggested as far as I can remember...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Occupancy is lumped together domestically. You also have several resort refurbishments going on. That said some resorts are better than others.

Indeed...

I’ve noticed you’ve brought your news updating talents to this side of the enchanted forest...that’s a good thing 😉

sndral

Does anyone know how they ‘count’ the attendance they report?
If I go to AKL then hop to MK, do I count as one or do I count as two?
If I go to MK and then stay for an upcharge after hours event do I count as 1 or 2?

JohnD

You mean NFL Hall of Fame, Super Bowl champion, 7x Pro Bowler and defensive player of the year, Michael Strahan?

Mr. Gap Tooth? C’mon dude you’re better than that...

Please. I’ve seen guest celebrities make fun of his teeth on the $100,000 Pyramid. Besides, I couldn’t think of his name. The bottom line is any network would send a talking head to promote it. The fact that it’s Disney means that they’ll employ ABC and most likely GMA.

seascape

Park attendance appears to flat and spending is up due to price inceeases...is another way to look at it.
That’s not how on property rooms go...the majority are occupied by frequent visitors, groups,
Conventioners and those first timers with longterm
Plans...there’s very little flux.
They aren’t waiting for “galaxies edge”
Park attendance was up. The more one looks at the revenue figures for Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, the clearer it is that parks attendance was up. First revenue for the newly organized Division was up 5%. That is with what clearly was described as a drop in Consumer Products and Foreign Parks. That means Domestic Park Revenue was up more than the 5% of the Division and thus higher than the ticket price increases. The only question is how far did consumer products decrease. On the call it was clear it must have been significant because when comparing the movies mentioned and how far the box office was down, consumer products were probably down close to the same percentage if bot more. After all what products would Mary Poppins sell vs Star Wars or Black Panther? I believe we will know soon enough how much Disney Parks Domestic Attendance went up in 2018. I believe for the second year in a row gained market share in Orlando and Universal lost a bit. Just wait until SW:GE opens.

Rteetz

Original Poster
I have never searched priceline for rooms. Seriously.
Any tips for a newbie?

How do you score a really good deal on a moderate or deluxe? Are Values also available?

The best deals are with their express deals. You don’t know the resort ahead of time. However there are ways to help figure it out. Touring Plans has a blog about that. They have values to deluxes. Sometimes values as low as $50ish a night. Deluxes in the $200s.

How?? Disneyland Paris has been absolutely packed recently, never seen it so crowded, even in low season.

That’s what they reported.

How bad is ESPN doing? Is it still bleeding money ( as some people would say) the same way as a year or two ago? It use to be the biggest money maker. Thanks for any insight

ESPN+ just hit 2 million subscribers so I think that’s good. It’s still kind of holding steady.

wait a second, there wasnt a 30% drop in attendance?

Attendance was basically flat.

Indeed...

I’ve noticed you’ve brought your news updating talents to this side of the enchanted forest...that’s a good thing 😉

Ive been here longer than you my friend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Park attendance was up. The more one looks at the revenue figures for Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, the clearer it is that parks attendance was up. First revenue for the newly organized Division was up 5%. That is with what clearly was described as a drop in Consumer Products and Foreign Parks. That means Domestic Park Revenue was up more than the 5% of the Division and thus higher than the ticket price increases. The only question is how far did consumer products decrease. On the call it was clear it must have been significant because when comparing the movies mentioned and how far the box office was down, consumer products were probably down close to the same percentage if bot more. After all what products would Mary Poppins sell vs Star Wars or Black Panther? I believe we will know soon enough how much Disney Parks Domestic Attendance went up in 2018. I believe for the second year in a row gained market share in Orlando and Universal lost a bit. Just wait until SW:GE opens.

Wow...there’s a lot in there and I’m tired...

“Similar” attendance means
Flat...give or take. Which means gains are higher prices. Been that way for a number of years if I recall?

Last edited:

AndyS2992

That’s what they reported.
It reads to me like Hong Kong (somehow) made lots of money whereas Paris and Shanghai did not but the money Hong Kong made balanced out the Shanghai and Paris losses. Therefore Paris (somehow) underperformed despite record crowds. No? :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom