Disney Q1 2019 Earnings Report

The Pho

True but why release any movie trailers at all then?

I think they’ll still do their usual marketing for this land.
Movies only run in theaters for a limited time and generally the studios want people in the theater for those first two weeks since they pull in a higher percentage for those dates than the rest of the run. Galaxy’s Edge will run at capacity, they don’t need to inform extra people of when it opens because the demand exceeds the supply.

eliza61nyc

There will be a bit of a break period after Endgame I believe at least for the major avenger characters. You’ll have some lesser known characters with films and the streaming service films.
Captain America (Chris Evans) has supposedly said this will be his last Avengers movie so they may be forced to take a break.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
They had to dump rooms on Priceline and other sites to hit their numbers during the quarter, even during the holiday season. That’s a desperation move.

Well, geez.....maybe if the rooms were affordable and they didn't nickel and dime for things like parking fees..........Who knows.......maybe it'd have been a little easier to hit the targets without relying on a bed bank. But what do I know?

JohnD

Oh for sure! But I think he’s right that they don’t need to go too crazy. Some morning news coverage, tv ads, and YouTube clips should do it.

Use GMA naturally. Send what’s his name, Mr. Gap Tooth during a week’s worth of shows.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
The minute opening day is announced for SWGE - it will go viral. Bloggers, vloggers, fan sites, newspapers, carrier pigeons with notes, and bottles with messages in them will wash ashore. All free pub for them. They'll probably do a few targeted ad campaigns and call it a day.

Unless of course SW 9 flops..............but then again even if it flops it wouldn't matter anyway.

The Pho

The minute opening day is announced for SWGE - it will go viral. Bloggers, vloggers, fan sites, newspapers, carrier pigeons with notes, and bottles with messages in them will wash ashore. All free pub for them. They'll probably do a few targeted ad campaigns and call it a day.

Unless of course SW 9 flops..............but then again even if it flops it wouldn't matter anyway.
9 will only flop because we’ll all still be in line to fly the Falcon.

eliza61nyc

Well, geez.....maybe if the rooms were affordable and they didn't nickel and dime for things like parking fees..........Who knows.......maybe it'd have been a little easier to hit the targets without relying on a bed bank. But what do I know?
Nope because with all of that people are still going. No one I know is cancelling a trip due to parking fees. Now they may cut back in other areas but they're still going. And they didn't miss Revenue by that much and they are blaming it on the misses at the box office (remember they had 2 flops)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Captain America (Chris Evans) has supposedly said this will be his last Avengers movie so they may be forced to take a break.
He did sorta post a goodbye tweet, but when everyone interpreted that as a "he's gonna die" tweet, he clarified that there could possibly be a future movie for him. Because, you know, comic book "deaths"and movie money.

erasure fan1

bunch of people I know are surprised that Avengers 4 is coming out already. I really think that if they don't pump the breaks after Endgame, there's gonna be serious super hero fatigue.
Eventually there is bound to be a slow down but people have been calling fatigue for a long time. It all boils down to this. Make good movies, no fatigue. Make bad movies, fatigue. And as of this point Marvel is cranking out really good movies. So even if we get a meh movie, they have so much goodwill built up that it would take a few flops in a row to be worry some. The same goes for star wars. There isn't fatigue, there's just quality quality gap in the direction of the franchise. Make a great star wars movie and people will lose their collective minds.

DisneyGigi

Star Wars will bring huge crowds, no doubt, but if WDW could have all Marvel, it would dwarf it. Star Wars speaks to an older crowd, Marvel is something parents (my age, 45) took teenagers to see. I never saw Star Wars in theaters, it was a boy thing. My husband loves it, but not enough to plan a vacation around, and make a trip to go see. Marvel is something I like, my son likes, and my grandson, 3 is obsessed with. He does not care anything about Star Wars, and neither does my 24 year old son. But, they love Marvel. The last movie, was not good... (Star Wars) Neither was Solo, will watch the next at home. Bet your bottom dollar, will be there opening day, for End Game tho.

jt04

So he said they would be spending less on parks in the future? Not good...

Is that true?

He said that a couple years ago. Both before the unexpected (I guess) crowds showed up for Pandora and TSL and the buzz being generated by SW:GE.

Not to mention Universal's new park and Potter coaster.

I think at this point they have to keep adding to the parks.

seascape

Star Wars will bring huge crowds, no doubt, but if WDW could have all Marvel, it would dwarf it. Star Wars speaks to an older crowd, Marvel is something parents (my age, 45) took teenagers to see. I never saw Star Wars in theaters, it was a boy thing. My husband loves it, but not enough to plan a vacation around, and make a trip to go see. Marvel is something I like, my son likes, and my grandson, 3 is obsessed with. He does not care anything about Star Wars, and neither does my 24 year old son. But, they love Marvel. The last movie, was not good... (Star Wars) Neither was Solo, will watch the next at home. Bet your bottom dollar, will be there opening day, for End Game tho.
Disney can and will have enough Marvel Characters in their WDW parks to please all the Marvel fans. They will also have all the Marvel Characters in all their other parks and will be the only company that can advertise Marvel Characters in the rest of the world once the Japan contract expires in about 10 years. Everyone will know Marvel is Disney's and that is where to go to get the full Marvel experience. I am looking forward to seeing all of them at Disneyland, Paris, Shanghai. Hong Kong and Japan and most of them at WDW. Let Universal keep the rights they have and send Disney quarterly checks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom