Disney Preparing Live-Action Peter Pan with Pete’s Dragon Director

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney continues to make strides in diversifying its classic characters and is doing it once again as sources tell Deadline Yara Shahidi is set to play Tinkerbell in David Lowery’s Peter Pan and Wendy. This would mark the first time a person of color has filled the role that has traditionally featured a white actress and follows in the footsteps after Disney set Halle Bailey to play The Little Mermaid.

Shahidi joins Jude Law, who will play Captain Hook, as well as Alexander Molony and Ever Anderson, who will play the title characters. Lowery is on board to direct the project and also co-wrote the script with Toby Halbrooks. Jim Whitaker is producing.

Sources say the release is expected to be theatrical and not go the Disney+ streaming route."

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Has any studio ever done a Smee that acts stupid but is really the brains of the operation? That'd be a nice take, and one Offerman could pull off. Not that it'll happen of course, just that Peter Pan is a tired story and was already done well in the Universal Pictures version and the original Disney animated feature. Even HOOK was atleast original. I don't know how I feel about this attempt. Seems like Disney is scraping the barrel. Another retread that will no doubt make millions.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Has any studio ever done a Smee that acts stupid but is really the brains of the operation? That'd be a nice take, and one Offerman could pull off. Not that it'll happen of course, just that Peter Pan is a tired story and was already done well in the Universal Pictures version and the original Disney animated feature. Even HOOK was atleast original. I don't know how I feel about this attempt. Seems like Disney is scraping the barrel. Another retread that will no doubt make millions.
I would say that the re-makes in general are Disney scraping the bottom of the barrel. All of them are uninspired lazy retreads in my opinion.

champdisney

Would be interesting to see Nick Offerman’s take on Mr. Smee. Too bad they couldn’t get Joaquin Phoenix on board to portray Captain Hook. That would’ve been great.

Sctble

Hook is underrated on so many levels. I really enjoyed Bob Hoskins' take on Smee in that movie, and agree he was original and a step up from past, brainless versions of the character. He was by far the brains of that Hook/Smee duo, whether the captain gave him credit for it or not.

Hook is underrated on so many levels. I really enjoyed Bob Hoskins' take on Smee in that movie, and agree he was original and a step up from past, brainless versions of the character. He was by far the brains of that Hook/Smee duo, whether the captain gave him credit for it or not.
Always loved his demeanor during Hook's drama-queen "suicide attempt." You just know he's SO used to dealing with this by now.

NateD1226

First look at Jude Law as Captain Hook in Peter Pan & Wendy

1617892003255.png

NateD1226

According to IMDB, several new cast members for the upcoming Peter Pan & Wendy have been added. We have since learned that this casting information is accurate.

The Lost Boys- Peter Pan’s group of rambunctious children- are made up of Slightly, Nibs, The Twins, Cubby, and Tootles in the 1954 film.

In the upcoming remake, we will see Noah Matthews Matofsky as Slightly, Sebastian Billingsley-Rodriguez as Nibs, Skyler and Kelsey Yates as The Twins, Florence Bensberg as Curly, and Caelan Edie as Tootles.

The character of Cubby has been renamed Curly, which is most consistent with the original novel. New characters include Birdie, played by Diana Tsoy, and Bellweather played by Felix de Sousa.

FlaMatt

I am looking forward to this new adaptation, but fear of all the Disney remakes of lately, it will have the hardest time winning people over, as there have been quite a handful of GOOD retellings of the Pan story over years past. I'm not saying this won't rise to the challenge, but with popular adaptations like Hook and Universal's Peter Pan embedded in many people's childhoods over the past twenty to thirty yrs, this will have to prove why it's necessary and stands out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom