Disney Preparing Live-Action Peter Pan with Pete’s Dragon Director

CaptainMickey

The more someone really loves an original movie, the more they usually tend to dislike the remakes. Especially if the remake is just ok or bad. Average fans don't seem to mind as much.

lazyboy97o

I’m not really feeling Jude Law as Captain Hook. Something about him just seems off, closest description but not quite right is that he seems sickly. In that vein I’m very curious as to how Alan Tudyk would have done as Captain Hook.

Movielover

*Production meeting at Walt Disney Studios

Producer #1: “Okay our next live action film will be Peter Pan and Wendy. Now should we make our version of Neverland bright, colorful, warm, inviting, with a ton of magical whimsy and fantastical escapism that sets the tone for adventures to come?”

Producer #2: “How about a desolate wasteland with absolutely no color at all?”

Producer #1: “Genius!!!!!!”

*facepalm

Californian Elitist

Producer #1: “Okay our next live action film will be Peter Pan and Wendy. Now should we make our version of Neverland bright, colorful, warm, inviting, with a ton of magical whimsy and fantastical escapism that sets the tone for adventures to come?”

*facepalm
Why does Never Land have to be all those adjectives you mentioned? Why does it have to be colorful and whimsical, in your opinion?

Movielover

Why does Never Land have to be all those adjectives you mentioned? Why does it have to be colorful and whimsical, in your opinion?
Because that's the way it's been depicted in every single story and adaptation up until now. Its evoking a fantasy world that I as an audience member would like to be in and explore. This trailer made it look like such a depressing place to be.

Let me put it this way, which would you rather visit, Hawaii or war-torn Syria?

Phroobar

Because that's the way it's been depicted in every single story and adaptation up until now. Its evoking a fantasy world that I as an audience member would like to be in and explore. This trailer made it look like such a depressing place to be.

If I am with an archaeologist with a hat & whip, I'd go to Syria.

Jedijax719

Considering they didn't show much of Neverland, how do people come to the conclusion that it's dark and drab?

And how colorful was Neverland in the original anyway? They didn't spend a whole lot of time there.

DKampy

Person: I don’t want the same story retold verbatim

Also person: where is the same old story I love

GimpYancIent

More live action remakes........
1677943178768.png

GimpYancIent

This isn’t true. And even if it is true, this means every single adaptation has to be exactly the same in that regard? Never Land can’t just be an island somewhere?

I’d be down to see war-torn Syria version of Never Land.
Wow! Can you imagine the CGI involved in a "war-torn Syria" version of the story.

Magenta Panther

*facepalm

Yeah, it's like all fantasy movies today have to have grunge in them. Somehow that's more adult and sophisticated. Then you look at The Wizard of Oz movie, with all its bright, saturated Technicolor, unforgettable tunes, and witty script, and you realized that some people don't understand sophistication at all.

Californian Elitist

Wow! Can you imagine the CGI involved in a "war-torn Syria" version of the story.
I don’t think of CGI at all. I think of if the themes of the story will stay the same.

The original Peter Pan text describes Neverland as a place that changes depending on the child that’s imagining it. So, all the adaptations that have come out since the original text have actually stayed true to the spirit of the original and have come up with their own unique versions of Neverland. A war-torn Syria and whatever Neverland will be like in this film, which hasn’t even come out yet, are no different.

Magenta Panther

I’m not really feeling Jude Law as Captain Hook. Something about him just seems off, closest description but not quite right is that he seems sickly. In that vein I’m very curious as to how Alan Tudyk would have done as Captain Hook.
Captain Hook was portrayed, both in the book and in Disney's version, as elegant and debonair. This new version makes him look like a creepy decrepit wino. Fail.

Movielover

This isn’t true. And even if it is true, this means every single adaptation has to be exactly the same in that regard? Never Land can’t just be an island somewhere?
My mistake, they already did that version in 2020 with Wendy, but even that movie which had a bleak undertone to it has more life, color, and character than this soulless cash grab.

1677943934708.png

It's a moot point anyways. The quintessential live-action adaptation of Peter Pan & Wendy has already been made, it was called Peter Pan and came out in 2003. It was a perfect fantasy film full of life, color, adventure, and most importantly, fun. It perfectly adapted the themes and ideas of the novel, something that this Disney version looks to completely lack.

1677944024262.png

Californian Elitist

My mistake, they already did that version in 2020 with Wendy, but even that movie which had a bleak undertone to it has more life, color, and character than this soulless cash grab.

View attachment 702028

It's a moot point anyways. The quintessential live-action adaptation of Peter Pan & Wendy has already been made, it was called Peter Pan and came out in 2003. It was a perfect fantasy film full of life, color, adventure, and most importantly, fun. It perfectly adapted the themes and ideas of the novel, something that this Disney version looks to completely lack.

View attachment 702029
You’re forgetting Hook, Neverland, and Pan. None of these depictions created some colorful, cutesy island for Neverland.
F43B6D20-1F6D-41FA-9D22-EF551239F8B4.png

D68FEF1F-BF1A-4B30-8F9E-234289B0A989.jpeg

8E2D83FF-7B04-44C3-BEFE-1C2A806A0E32.jpeg

If it’s a moot point, why did you bring it up? Unless I’m misunderstanding what the moot point actually is?

Did you see an early screening of this new Disney version? How do you know what the entire movie lacks if it hasn’t been released (unless you’ve seen an early screening)? If you have seen an early screening, no spoilers, please. And I’m asking as someone whose favorite adaptation is Universal’s 2003 version, as I’ve mentioned before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom