Disney Preparing Live-Action Peter Pan with Pete’s Dragon Director

Disney Analyst

Just finished the movie. Peter Pan is one of my favorite novels of all time and, because of this, I rarely pass up an opportunity to catch any film adaptation of the story, so this was no different, despite my general reluctance in watching Disney live-action remakes. I actually took notes while watching the movie. Before I get into my thoughts and analysis, I will say that, despite not being perfect (what film is?), this is the only live-action remake I’ve seen where it actually surpasses the original, for me. While I will always cherish the original animated film, the more I read the original text by J.M. Barrie, and I have read it multiple times, the more I dislike Disney’s animated film. While it nails the whimsical and fantasy components, I strongly believe it misses the seriousness of the story and the truly painful, yet beautiful and inevitable, factors about aging, becoming an adult, and having responsibilities and opportunities that children simply don’t have and experience. It lightly touches on it, but it doesn’t get into the meat of it. This live-action does a much better job at doing that. Spoilers ahead.

-As insinuated above, this film is closer to the text, in terms of the general themes and messages, than the original animated version, which, as a big fan of the novel and literature in general, I really appreciate. Love that they included “To die would be an awfully big adventure,” as it’s one of my favorite quotes from the novel. Some things were changed, like having female lost boys (this strays directly away from the text, but it didn’t bother me at all).

-The journey to Never Land scene was beautiful. One of my favorite scenes.

-The representation is outstanding and doesn’t feel forced at all.

-Yara Shahidi is beautiful as Tinkerbell. I really enjoyed her performance and the different take on the character from the animated film. I want to analyze the idea of who can and can’t hear her that’s presented in the film, but I will spare you.

-I love that Tiger Lily actually speaks an Indigenous language, specifically Cree. Alyssa Wapanatâhk is gorgeous and a much better Tiger Lily than what we get in the animated version. The absence of the ridiculous and racist “What Makes the Red Man Red” is an automatic win.

-The pirates are very funny and quite enjoyable, Smee included.

-Jude Law’s interpretation of Hook is something else I prefer over the animated version, who is presented as a fool and a clown of some sort. Here, while he has his goofy moments, Hook is more refined with a very clear and understanding motive for hating Pan and children. He is more dimensional.

-Alexander Molony’s performance as one of the titular characters is convincing. He is way more serious and nails the cocky, “I don’t care” attitude that Peter Pan has. He is less cheery and boy-ish, something I’m not used to. I do wish he was more cheery at times, but I thought his performance was good. Not my favorite Peter Pan, but still good.

-Wendy’s inevitable aging and growing up is immediately tackled in the beginning of the film. She fears growing up, but there are signs that she is already doing so and maturing faster than she thinks (“every man for himself” attitude towards John, being genuinely upset about being put in danger and nearly dying when attacked by the cannonball, scolding Peter for not being more concerned about their safety, etc.). She is fighting it, yet naturally doing it. I’ve never seen an interpretation of Wendy like this before in any other film adaptation. I could analyze this take and direction of the character, but, again, I won’t. Ever Anderson is a lovely Wendy.

-Similar to the animated version, I admire Peter and Wendy not being in love with each other, unlike Universal’s version (which I love). I think it should be kept this way. They have love for each other and care for each other, but they are not in love.

- I wanted more of Michael and John.

-As I stated earlier, I really like how this adaptation tackles the growing up/losing one’s childhood theme. I think the “growing up wrong” line is very compelling. It implies that simply aging is not the problem, but the way you age and the adults that some people become can be harmful and bad. Wendy’s happy thoughts consisting of both her as a child and as an adult is an example of this concept and one that is simple, yet so very well-done (and is the whole point of the story!). There is beauty, fun, and good in both childhood and adulthood. The emphasis on the importance and strength of a mother’s love is evident in this film and helps drives the biggest theme of the story home. Again, these themes are central to the story, and the animated version only slightly addresses them. Given that it’s a children’s movie from the 1950’s, I’m not surprised it doesn’t properly and extensively address these themes. However, I do appreciate when they are addressed, and this film adaption does so convincingly.

-The music and score are fantastic. I really enjoyed the film’s version of “You Can Fly!”.

-The humor is great, too. John questioning whether they should now be heading to the second star to the left and not the right, since they’re going home and therefore in the opposite direction, is brilliant.

-The simplicity of Never Land is welcomed. No overly-saturated colors, no large amounts of fantasy elements, no weird-looking sirens/mermaids… It is literally just a place made of multiple islands that is surrounded by a large body of water. That’s it.

This remake is unlike the animated original, and yet, it is still a decent to good film. That’s what I’m looking for with these films, but I’m usually disappointed instead. This didn’t disappoint me, and it absolutely beats the animated original. Good job, Disney.

Really great analysis.

I loved how they wrote and presented Tiger Lily, very improved, and well done.

And I loved how they did the Lost Boys. “But you’re not all boys? … I guess it doesn’t really matter.”

Ghost93

So I just saw the movie. It didn't feel like a souless cash grab, and I found it a lot deeper and more thoughtful than the animated version. But the tone was so somber and the lighting so dark throughout that I can't imagine children LOVING the movie. The animated version was definitely more fun. As for the acting, I thought the kid playing Peter was weak, but the rest of the cast was solid.

I think the 2003 version of Peter Pan is the best so far, striking the right balance in tone. I also thought the 2003 film had the most interesting Peter/Wendy dynamic.

Phroobar

That's weird my daughter said, "Why is Iridessa in this movie?" She grew up with the Tinkerbell movies.

iu

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I just finished it. I’m afraid I found it earnest to the point of tedium. I particularly disliked the idea that Peter and Hook had been childhood friends, and I missed the cheekiness of the animated Tinkerbell. It just wasn’t fun or whimsical enough for me. On the plus side, I thought the acting was strong all around (Jude Law’s Hook was my favourite), and they dealt well with Tiger Lily’s character.

Ghost93

I just finished it. I’m afraid I found it earnest to the point of tedium. I particularly disliked the idea that Peter and Hook had been childhood friends, and I missed the cheekiness of the animated Tinkerbell. It just wasn’t fun or whimsical enough for me. On the plus side, I thought the acting was strong all around (Jude Law’s Hook was my favourite), and they dealt well with Tiger Lily’s character.
It kind of reminded me of how I felt about Lightyear. It's not necessarily bad, but it's certainly not what audiences wanted and was too somber in tone.

Jedijax719

We saw it last night. It was enjoyable and the scenery was incredible (have to research to find out where they filmed but it reminded me of Skellig in Ireland). My biggest complaint was that it was too short and felt too rushed. They did just enough backstory to explain the twists, but they needed to flesh out more about the Lost Boys and Tiger Lilly in my opinion.

Californian Elitist

We saw it last night. It was enjoyable and the scenery was incredible (have to research to find out where they filmed but it reminded me of Skellig in Ireland). My biggest complaint was that it was too short and felt too rushed. They did just enough backstory to explain the twists, but they needed to flesh out more about the Lost Boys and Tiger Lilly in my opinion.
I forgot to mention the pacing in my post. I agree that it felt rushed and should have been longer.

Disney Analyst

I can agree with some that it was missing a bit of the whimsy from the original, but I also did not mind that this version had a different tone and vibe.

It’s by no means an incredible film - there are issues, but I still think overall it’s a fun film, a decent adaption, and I love a lot of the changes made.

It in no way earns the hate train being thrown at it by trolls.

I’d say @LittleBuford had a very fair and well detailed criticism, which I can fully respect.

Californian Elitist

Someone mentioned preferring the relationship between Peter and Wendy in Universal’s version (I agree, for the most part except them being in love). However, considering that the movie is called Peter Pan and Wendy and not Peter Pan, I guess their more “separated” relationship in this movie makes some sense. They do kind of grow and develop on their own, outside of their minimal interactions with each other, and I wonder if the title is supposed to reflect their respective growth.

GimpYancIent

The original (the animated classic) has withstood the test of time and is the gold standard upon which all redo's, remakes etc. live action or not will be measured against. The many copies will have their brief moment then fade away.

erasure fan1

The original (the animated classic) has withstood the test of time and is the gold standard upon which all redo's, remakes etc. live action or not will be measured against.
And that is really the corner Disney has painted themselves into with the remakes. The vast majority of the original movies are beloved and considered classic by most. So anything short of better than the original is going to be met with pushback. It's the same issue as with splash mountain. It's considered one of the best attractions ever created. So anything short of Tiana being as good or better than the original is going to be "trolled" as some would say here.

Are there people not giving Peter pan and Wendy a fair shake? Of course. There are lots of people out there that believe Disney has become extraordinarily lazy. So as long as Disney decides this is the hill they want to die on, people are going to let it be known they don't like it. And they sure as heck aren't going to support Disney by going to the theater or subscribing to D+ to see it.

MoonRakerSCM

I see your point about them having not seen the film, but they're conveying the opinion of a youtube user. Are those opinions not incendiary? They've seen the film... they stated their opinion.

MoonRakerSCM

My intent is to have a civil, informed discussion with others who want to do likewise.
If that was the case, then watch the referenced video and have a civil, informed discussion about the topic instead of just labelling people as having an agenda. Listen to what they're saying and counter point instead of silencing them.

LittleBuford

In the meantime, have you thought about watching the referenced youtube video and having that civil, informed discussion?
I have no interest in discussing what some random YouTuber has to say about the film. I'm here to share my thoughts with other forum members and to hear theirs.

erasure fan1

Do you think it's acceptable to share reviewer opinions praising the film and base thoughts on that? Others have done that on here...
This is a big part of the divide I see on here. The defend Disneys honor squad love to throw out articles to prove they're right. Then someone else does the same and they're the trouble maker? It's really a societal problem in general. You can't have it both ways, and that happens a lot on here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom