Disney pools to be locked/ inaccessible in the overnight hours

JerseyDad

....add lifeguards 24/7 ......add a fence (it'll have to be "Disney-esque" in design ...of course) ...and finally ...add another $10/night. Just like when they made 'fridges" standard amenities.

daisyduckie

....add lifeguards 24/7 ......add a fence (it'll have to be "Disney-esque" in design ...of course) ...and finally ...add another $10/night. Just like when they made 'fridges" standard amenities.

The fridges were already standard amenities, just not at the value resorts. But I agree, Disney isn't going to fork over this money without finding a way to make us all pay for it.

draybook

Wow, I only made it to the second page before I had to stop reading.

People are getting upset about gates being put around the pools because a "stupid" kid died right in front of his parents. Man, some of you people have your priorities really messed up. This was somebody's kid and he died right in front of his family. I'm really sorry that it's going to hurt your eyes so bad to look at a gate while this family has to visit their child at a cemetery......

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wow, I only made it to the second page before I had to stop reading.

People are getting upset about gates being put around the pools because a "stupid" kid died right in front of his parents. Man, some of you people have your priorities really messed up. This was somebody's kid and he died right in front of his family. I'm really sorry that it's going to hurt your eyes so bad to look at a gate while this family has to visit their child at a cemetery......
Your empathy should be commended...

may I also point out:
  • In 2004, there were 3,308 unintentional drownings in the United States, an average of nine people per day.(CDC 2006)
    U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • In 2004, of all children 1-4 years old who died, 26% died from drowning (CDC 2006). Fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages 1 to 14 years (CDC 2005)
  • It is estimated that for each drowning death, there are 1 to 4 nonfatal submersions serious enough to result in hospitalization. Children who still require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) at the time they arrive at the emergency department have a poor prognosis, with at least half of survivors suffering significant neurologic impairment.
    American Academy of Pediatrics
  • 19% of drowning deaths involving children occur in public pools with certified lifeguards present.
    Drowning Prevention Foundation
  • A swimming pool is 14 times more likely than a motor vehicle to be involved in the death of a child age 4 and under.
    Orange County California Fire Authority
  • Children under five and adolescents between the ages of 15-24 have the highest drowning rates.
  • An estimated 5,000 children ages 14 and under are hospitalized due to unintentional drowning-related incidents each year; 15 percent die in the hospital and as many as 20 percent suffer severe, permanent neurological disability.
    National Safety Council
  • Of all preschoolers who drown, 70 percent are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75 percent are missing from sight for five minutes or less.
    Orange County, CA, Fire Authority
  • The majority of children who survive (92 percent) are discovered within two minutes following submersion, and most children who die (86 percent) are found after 10 minutes. Nearly all who require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) die or are left with severe brain injury.
    National Safe Kids Campaign
http://www.poseidon-tech.com/us/statistics.html

Last edited:

draybook

I guess I'm just partial to it because I have almost drowned twice in my life......once when I was 12(Newport Beach) and again when I was 19(TN).

Point being, someone lost their kid and all some people here can think about is how the gate will somehow interfere with their vacation.....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I guess I'm just partial to it because I have almost drowned twice in my life......once when I was 12(Newport Beach) and again when I was 19(TN).

Point being, someone lost their kid and all some people here can think about is how the gate will somehow interfere with their vacation.....
I had a close call myself when I was about 9....I went on to become a very good swimmer and even a lifeguard later on.

I agree that some people take things a little far but that's kind of par for the course on a discussion board. (We've had our disagreements as well.)

In this litigious society that we live in, it's surprising that Disney doesn't make everyone sign a waiver when they check in, because as the stats show just because a lifeguard is present will not prevent a drowning. Parents need to be EVER diligent when it comes to their children's safety around water.

Polydweller

Please read my post again, I said a couple hours later, like 1am (Not 9+ hours: 2 hours). While I would like to have pools open 24/7, just a couple hours later would only be like $20 more per lifeguard for Disney and satisfy most of the more demanding guests (who would like to swim after most of the parks are closed). They could absolutely handle that, especially since a rate increase will come either way. Just a one dollar per night increase will more than cover this and, let's be honest for a second, Disney's going to raise base rates by more than $1 either way. It would essentially cost them next to nothing and make more late night swimmers happy.
Would make sense except it doesn't at all because Disney is a union shop and the lifeguards are part of that. Working two shifts of 8 hours (7-3, 3-11) is easy to do. Now try doing that making it an 18 hr day. That isn't simple at all. I don't know them but its a very safe bet there are lots of negotiated rules about scheduling that would have to be met. So, I'd say what you need to do is find out what those union negotiated rules are, what the costs would be for overtime shifts, extra staff, short shifts (what is the minimum work shift allowed and the maximum), the number of extra staff required across all pools (at least 14 pools maybe more) before coming to a definitive figure like you have. Having had to schedule staff under union rules I'm willing to bet it isn't easy and not cheap to do it. And, of course, contrast that to the cost of the fencing.

Oh, if things were as easy as people think.

Polydweller

Me twice, once when I was six, and one when I was 8. Very close both times. I definitely agree with you draybook, a gate and a fence won't interfere with anyone's vacation.

Bairstow

If Disney is going to enforce an 11pm shutdown time for all their primary pools, I think it's crystal clear how this will interfere with people's vacations.
The fences they'll have to build are incidental.

draybook

If Disney is going to enforce an 11pm shutdown time for all their primary pools, I think it's crystal clear how this will interfere with people's vacations.
The fences they'll have to build are incidental.

Ok, and I'd love to see a poll of how many people actually use the pools after 11pm. I know that in my 4 stays on site I can count that number on two hands if that. That was including 2 stays at Pop and 2 at POFQ.

Bairstow

Ok, and I'd love to see a poll of how many people actually use the pools after 11pm. I know that in my 4 stays on site I can count that number on two hands if that. That was including 2 stays at Pop and 2 at POFQ.

Probably very few.
That doesn't mean they didn't enjoy it.

draybook

True, but this is still about safety and liability. It's also about the observation that people are in an uproar over gates when we're talking about the death of a child.

awoogala

Now wait a minute- if this the result of a Reedy Creek regulation and not an internal policy, why will it cover feature pools and not quiet ones?
because "quiet " pools are supposed to be adult pools, they assume everyone there will be a respectful adult, who will (hopefully) not be at risk for drowning/noisiness/etc.? All that will happen, though, is that all the parents who don't care if their kids are loud, or swimming dangerously, or unsupervised ...will just tell them t use those quiet pools, and lose their minds if someone stops their kids..:rolleyes:

willtravel

According to this article "Walt Disney World will soon move to lock down access to the pools at their resort hotels, so that "off hours" swimming will become a thing of the past. By some point in November, all Disney pools will be locked and inaccessible even to hotel guests in the overnight hours."

Not entirely depressing as we stay at the BC 99% of the time. However, I did not realize this was such a huge issue. I guess there are some late night issues at other hotels.

http://ultimateorlando.blogspot.com/2013/09/disney-pools-to-be-locked-and.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=ultorlando
According to article, it states November. Just wondered if this has happened?

stevehousse

When I was there between 3rd-13th Dec, the pools at Saratoga Springs Resort were still open 24 hours.

Maybe it depends on the resort because when I was there during November at all star movies, the pools would close at 12am with signs stating the pools were closed. Even the mighty duck "quiet pool" had the signs up...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom