Disney Police

LuLaSue

I can appreciate your trusting the mouse, but I've dealt with the company on both a personal and professional level for the better half of 10 years, and I don't have that much faith in them :)

Understood :D . I know it is very differnt when you know the company on a firsthand basis.

wedway71

Im just curious what these special ops guys are carrying for the elite unit.Sigs,Glocks,Berretas,revolvers???? Also I wonder if its just handguns or are they getting m-16s, or ar-15s as well?:lookaroun

MMP

I also deal with the company on a daily basis and I'm glad to know that my safety as a cast member is important to them and that they're willing to go the extra mile and take on the responsibility of having armed guards.

You can say a lot about Disney but I would never knock their training and organization.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I also deal with the company on a daily basis and I'm glad to know that my safety as a cast member is important to them and that they're willing to go the extra mile and take on the responsibility of having armed guards.

You can say a lot about Disney but I would never knock their training and organization.
I will :)

I love em, but I'll criticize them!

MagliteL13

Disney Security now has a unit with guns... and that scares me almost as much as the TSA.

The only thing Disney should use guns for are shooting at Hippos, GMR Tourguides, and random various props that do things when you hit them.

olean

This is my first post! Here is a description of the Disney Security force from Wikipedia:

Disney Security is a security force operated by the Walt Disney Company (Disney) in the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Though it is a private company, it often operates as a law enforcement agency.
Disney Security does not technically have any jurisdiction over the Reedy Creek Improvement District as it is not actually a law enforcement agency. However, it can perform certain law enforcement actions as prescribed under Florida law, including initiating traffic stops on public roads, arresting shoplifters, temporarily holding offenders until law enforcement arrives, and ejecting unruly or unwanted visitors from the park. However, if the Disney Company wishes to press charges against an offender, they must do so through the Orange County or Osceola County Sheriff Departments. They also leave the investigation of more profound crimes to these departments.
At times, the lack of government oversight found in the Reedy Creek Improvement District has been blamed for controversy surrounding Disney Security. Various whistleblower sources have documented alleged cases of criminal rights abuses, including indefinite holding without a criminal charge, unfounded arrest, impeding the investigations of bona fide law enforcement agencies, and one case where a Disney Security officer participated in an illegal high-speed pursuit which resulted in a collision and the subsequent deaths of those in the car being pursued.
A separate Disney Security force is visible at Disneyland in California. All law enforcement in Disneyland is partnered between Disney and the Anaheim Police Department.

mkt

Premium Member
Wikipedia:

Not known for being reliable. The wiki format allows for anyone to edit anything how they see fit.

eg, I can make it so Napoleon and General Custer are CEO and CFO of TWDC in Wikipedia

olean

Wikipedia:

Not known for being reliable. The wiki format allows for anyone to edit anything how they see fit.

eg, I can make it so Napoleon and General Custer are CEO and CFO of TWDC in Wikipedia

I understand what your getting to as far as the reliability of Wikipedia. However, I believe that in this case the Wikipedia description is very accurate. The Disney Security is a full service independent security agency that is owned and operated as a company department by the Walt Disney World Resort. One of the commonly dominant forms of Disney Security is at the theme parks; whenever you enter a WDW theme park any bags you are carrying are inspected by Disney Security, they have the full authority to inspect your bags and remove any items that they consider inapprorpiate or prohibited within the park. If you visit or stay at any WDW resort, you will also notice that there is a Disney Security checkpoint at the entrance of most of the resort parking lots, they can prohibit non-guest vehicles from entering the property and usually check for a drivers license. However, WDW Security can only do so much, any situation that requires a citation, arrest, and/or prosecution must be done by local law enforcement, usually the Orange County Sheriffs Office. I doubt that WDW has any kind of "elite" security unit armed with weapons, much less any kind of SWAT or tactical team, any situation requiring that kind of response is immediatly handed over to the real local law enforcement.

MagliteL13

Wikipedia:

Maybe we should make Napoleon and General Custer CEO and CFO of TWDC. Things might get better and they'd put certain people in their place. It'd be like the fantasy team of upper management...

BTW, olean--welcome to the boards.

mkt

Premium Member
The Disney Security is a full service independent security agency that is owned and operated as a company department by the Walt Disney World Resort. One of the commonly dominant forms of Disney Security is at the theme parks; whenever you enter a WDW theme park any bags you are carrying are inspected by Disney Security, they have the full authority to inspect your bags and remove any items that they consider inapprorpiate or prohibited within the park.

I'm fully aware of these details :)

If you visit or stay at any WDW resort, you will also notice that there is a Disney Security checkpoint at the entrance of most of the resort parking lots, they can prohibit non-guest vehicles from entering the property and usually check for a drivers license.

To this day, the ID checks perplex me. I typically refuse to show it, since I don't what they need those details for. If they need ID, they can see my passport, but not my license. I don't need them to see my address and license number

I doubt that WDW has any kind of "elite" security unit armed with weapons, much less any kind of SWAT or tactical team

Until I saw it for myself, I would have shared your view. I've seen them twice at AK, and a good friend of mine who is a Front Entrance manager at AK regularly sees one of them eating lunch backstage at AK.

olean

Well, first off, thank you Maglite for your friendly welcome, im glad to be a new member of this interesting board. And in response to Mkt:

In regards to your personal experience in witnessing a "Disney SWAT team" or some type of tactical unit, How are you sure that this team was part of DISNEY? Im sure it it could have probably been a member of such team from local law enforcement, and how did you identify them as part of any such team? Were they carrying weapons? :zipit: I say this because I know for a fact that a few years ago there was a hostage situation that took place at the Boardwalk Inn that was aired on the local news, and the full response was carried on by the Orange County Sheriffs Office and thier resources including thier SWAT team. Disney Security was not mentioned once, in fact, they were probably evacuated from the resort property for thier safety by law enforcement.

mkt

Premium Member
Their blue jumpsuit with standard Disney security patches on the shoulder... and my verbal communications with the member I saw :)

As for the 2001 Hostage incident at the Boardwalk, I know all about it- my stepdad was one of the negotiators for OCSO. This was before Disney established their "elite" unit.

Have a magical day.

Cruiser237

This weekend we stayed late for EMH at the MK...it was about 2 AM when we pulled in the TTC and they had a K9 unit going in and out of every monorail car..im guessing looking for drugs. When they were done searching the monorail cars on the train the K9 and the policeman walked down the exit ramp and waited until the next monorail came along. Anyone else seen this happen before in Disney? It surprised me..not saying it doesn't need to be done sometimes probably.

Krozar

I read Disney has a k-9 unit and some sort of SWAT team of some sort. It was called some kind of Crises mgt team or something. I also read somehwere they have some kind of Dignitary-Celeb. special team too. Not saying this is fact just what I read.

I have seen them as well. The ones I have seen wear dark jumpsuits, not the sky blue shirts that typical security wears. They were obviously Disney, identified by their name tags.

But how deep does that government really go? My understanding was that it did not go much past emergency services, zoning and a building department. All of which had to meet or exceed specifications set for all other municipalities in the state of Florida.

That explains RCID pretty good. But there is also Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista. Although, neither cities have a police force from my understanding.

This weekend we stayed late for EMH at the MK...it was about 2 AM when we pulled in the TTC and they had a K9 unit going in and out of every monorail car..im guessing looking for drugs. When they were done searching the monorail cars on the train the K9 and the policeman walked down the exit ramp and waited until the next monorail came along. Anyone else seen this happen before in Disney? It surprised me..not saying it doesn't need to be done sometimes probably.

He shows up now and then to sniff some cars. Probably for bomb residue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom