Disney plus Imagineering

Mac Tonight

Technically I'd give that to honour to Hong Kong. Grizzly Gulch (2012) and Mystic Point (2013) were the last real things from that "era" of parks not being an arm of franchise integration. Toy Story play land aside, but that's more the fault of the government asking for a redesign on the third aspect of the project after the modus operandi had switched.

Everest was an Eisner project holdover and principle design would have occurred while he was CEO.

Hong Kong's project were largely developed early in Iger's tenure (2006-2008)-ish.

Simultaneously though would have been Lassiter's influence into the DCA redo with the gravitation towards unified IP lands with Radiator Springs. Something that was actually announced prior to Hogsmead!

After those would have been planned and budgeted do we see really see Iger's principles overtake the Shanghai Disneyland project. Circa 2009-2010 (when a lot of that project came together) brings us the snapshot in time mix of IP like Tron and live-action POTC.

By 2011 it was totally a lost cause. Hogsmead blew the doors open, reaffirming Iger's mandate in a big way. Staggs went on a fishing expedition for their Harry Potter. Radiator Springs also brought Disney some Potter-like success in 2012 and that's when it was all a lost cause.
Fair points. So I'll clarify and say it was the last thing stateside.

MK-fan

Too bad they didn’t talk about Pooh’s Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek!, two very impressive Tokyo Disneyland attractions, hopefully they show off the New Beauty and the Beast ride they’re opening in 4 months.

Animaniac93-98

Too bad they didn’t talk about Pooh’s Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek!, two very impressive Tokyo Disneyland attractions, hopefully they show off the New Beauty and the Beast ride they’re opening in 4 months.

They spent 4 minutes or so talking about ALL of DisneySea. Compare that with how much they talked about Midway Mania at DCA.

Like the company at large, Tokyo is not a priority for the series.

BrianLo

There is another upcoming series called "Behind the attraction" that is also being produced. One hour episodes on an individual attraction, which is obviously not the scope of this show that covers an entire decade of Disney parks in an hour. BUT... don't fear, eventually I feel like everyone's what about _____ will get its own Disney+ content.

I actually feel like given the episode count, they have hit remarkably well on the highlights. Yes Hunny Hunt is great, but it doesn't really further much narrative of the series as a whole when the same talking points about LPS could be made in Mystic Manor. Also the series further addressed online criticism reasonably well. Regardless of the conclusions, it continues not to be a puff piece.

As an aside - I went to Tokyo for the first time very shortly after the parks re-opened in 2011. About two weeks after they reopened I think. That was a touching tribute and people were just strangely thankful to see tourists, because the domestic media was fear mongering like you'd expect. I didn't really think or expect that the series would mention that.

MK-fan

That was my least favorite episode so far. Kim talking about the fans was a bit annoying. There’s a good reason we don’t “trust them” journey into imagination being a great example.

Just look at the terrible Ant-Man and the Wasp Nano Battle Ride that no one talks about, we just hear about Pixar Pier and Mission Breakout but that is such a dud, if you watch the video on YouTube, about 95% of the comments state how bad the ride is

MK-fan

Just look at the terrible Ant-Man and the Wasp Nano Battle Ride that no one talks about, we just hear about Pixar Pier and Mission Breakout but that is such a dud, if you watch the video on YouTube, about 95% of the comments state how bad the ride is

DrAlice

No Kim, we still don't like the Small World character dolls.
This. Just a few minutes earlier in the episode is footage of her describing the importance of making sure that changes to a classic are as good as or better than the original. Do they really believe adding Disney characters and ruining the music made the attraction better than it was? Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

DrAlice

I did enjoy seeing some behind the scenes views of the process to create the DCA makeover. That was fun. The VR stuff and the giant foam model of the Cadillac range was cool too.

SuddenStorm

That was my least favorite episode so far. Kim talking about the fans was a bit annoying. There’s a good reason we don’t “trust them” journey into imagination being a great example.

Kim's remarks about Disney fans always seem like she has some disdain for the people who are, you know, passionate about the product. She just seems fake, even though her decades long career is nothing to scoff at.

Maybe if she had led some universally beloved attractions like Mr. Baxter instead of working on controversial project after controversial project she'd be a bigger fan of Disney park fans 🤔

Mac Tonight

This was a hard episode.

The Tokyo hurricane part was genuinely moving and had me choked up...

But then I had to listen to Iger prattle on about how the company is getting back to its roots, embracing creativity, yada yada yada. Massive eyerolls.

Also, it will always astound me just how much model building they do. Basically constructing attractions and entire lands multiple times over... just to get a sense of how it will be. It’s such an underrated art form.

lazyboy97o

Kim's remarks about Disney fans always seem like she has some disdain for the people who are, you know, passionate about the product. She just seems fake, even though her decades long career is nothing to scoff at.

Maybe if she had led some universally beloved attractions like Mr. Baxter instead of working on controversial project after controversial project she'd be a bigger fan of Disney park fans 🤔
Nope. We’re all misogynists who don’t understand the artist achievement of an off-center window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom