Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

twebber55

Disney has some cards up it's sleeve. Star Wars being the Ace card. The Pirates franchise is strong and don't underestimate Avatar:Land of Pandora at AK. It's coming and it's going to be very impressive. Unfortunately for Disney both Star Wars and Avatar are a long long ways away. Potter land is in the now, it's new...and it's awesome!

Trust me, Disney doesn't feel the sting in its pocket book...yet. But, the entire Harry Potter land has hit Disney where it hurts the most...Pride.
It hurts when your competition one ups you, you get to hear how amazing Universal's land is and then hear people question whether you (Disney) could even pull off a Harry Potter land.
It hurts.

In 2016 we will see J.K. Rowling's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It will be the first film in the highly anticipated spin off trilogy.
Harry Potter has 6 movies in the All Time Worldwide Box Office. One of those has cracked the top 4. Over 450 million Potter books have been sold.
There will only be one place for those fans to go if they want to walk in the world of Harry Potter.
Hats off to Universal. With the new movies on the way, this land will be popular for a long time.

If this doesn't hurt Disney, if they don't feel this sting, then maybe the wrong management is in office.
I think Disney is ready, I think Disney's future projects are going to be amazing in Florida.
I think we theme park fans are in for a real treat. Two titans fist to fist to see who can create the better theme park experience. Disney didn't want to play this game, they didn't want to even recognize Universal as a player. But Universal now has THE theme park destination in Florida that crosses all key target markets. AND...they just might have the best ride in the world now with Gringotts.

But...you will have to go to Universal to find out. It's not at Disney.
Great points..you gotta think WDI feels a little embarrassed that their name is not attached to the greatest rides/attractions right now
im sure they want to prove themselves

dstrawn9889

So when they spend $256 million on Avatarland will you be happy because you are comparing apples to oranges.

it is called infrastructure, you do not build a town before the roads that lead to it.
::::sorry wrong quote, this was what i was trying to quote::::

All I'm gonna say is at least $1 billon for MM+ compared to $256 million for Diagon Alley. I think Disney needs to catch up on some better business tips.

Mouse_Trap

I have to agree with this. What park would HP had been jammed into? Maybe you could argue DHS... At least with AVATAR ( editor's note: I am not a fan of Avatar Land ) I can see the correlation with AK and how the conservational story line of Avatar fits with the mission of awareness that AK tries to deliver...

Whilst I'm glad (and already said this) that Universal got HP not Disney, I could have seen a good fit with a full on transformation of the UK pavilion. Using the land around where the events pavilion, a full on London scene, then a train journey (like Universal has done) to the land somewhere behind the Yacht/Beach Club to a proper Hogsmeade. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure about messing with the World Showcase concept but this idea could have been very well done.

draybook

@draybook , I usually agree with you, but I don't see why it matters that Disney decided to spend money on MM+ and Uni spent theirs on HP. MM+ , while the costs are mind blowing is infrastructure for all things technology at WDW for the future. To be able to implement the things that they have now, and implement and develop more things going forward, they had to have a starting point and set up and the initial cost of anything when setting it up is going to be the biggest chunk. MM+ will be ever changing and things will be added to it to enhance the guest experience (at least in Disney's eyes) for the next 25 years, you have to start some time. Where as, HP has some rides and shops that are supposedly great (I haven't been, so I don't want to comment unfairly), but what is going to happen with that in 25 years, look at the amount of change that has taken place at WDW in the past 25 years, this will probably happen to Uni as well, IMHO they will probably end up changing HP into something else down the road when all the shinny new ness of it wears off and something bigger and better comes along. Whereas the initial investment into technology will enable WDW to implement new tech and will be years ahead of everyone else because of it.

I was simply replying to the statement that "Disney, meanwhile, didn't spend millions of dollars on building new attractions and offerings... and still made a ton of money off of returning guests with nostalgia."

They put their money into the IT aspect instead of directly putting it into items that can be enjoyed ASAP. I'm not siding either way against or for it, just pointing it out. And when TDO can't even find a way to fix Disco Yeti and their website could be improved by 4th graders, I have less faith in their technological abilities than others it seems....

CT2

Let me get this straight....Disney was really "burned" by not getting Potter? And they learned their lesson?
It was a huge "mistake"?

Exactly how did they get burned, make a mistae or learn a lesson?

The crowds at Disney as so huge that you its hard to walk around the parks. Hotels are packed, thousands and thousands are coming from everywhere in the world. Money flows into Disney's pockets easily.
And they somehow got burned or made mistake.

Really?

wdwfan4ver

I think the headline should've been J.K. Rowling is lucky that Disney didn't get Harry Potter.

I am saying this because Disney would have created a value imgineered Harry Potter land in DHS. No other WDW theme would have been a great fit for Harry Potter since World Showcase isn't supposed to have movie rides anyway.

Most of the Disney theme parks world wide have been a bad fit for Harry Potter based on the theme the parks Disney has.

disney4life2008

I have to agree with all the sides here -

1) I am happy disney passed and UNI got it. While I am not a fan of Universal - I have made trips to the parks just to check out Harry Potter land and will likely do so in August on my free day. Otherwise, there is not enough to keep me going to UNI every trip.

2) While I love disney - there "recent" imagining of attractions has not been exemplary. With 7DMT being a slight exception - the little mermaid is tragic. I can appreciate the new fantasyland but "to me" its nothing out of this world. Harry Potter land, however, is AMAZING!!!! If nothing else, its worth the money. Not to metion butterbeer - the beasts rip off is gross.

3) Finally, I believe that UNI and Disney must function like airlines. If you look at the airline deregulation act of 1978 - it agues should have fair competition in terms of value and presence. Same with the 2 resorts - I appreciate that Universal focuses on Harry Potter and roller coasters and amazing water rides. Yet, disney focuses on the magic. There are two different brands here and results in fair competition.

With that said - Disney is playing catch up. But they will still reign supreme. For every person that visits UNI a good amount of those people will come to disney as well. Disney is putting all their eggs on Avatar and that is severely risky. While the movie was a success - I just do not see longevity in it. But compare Harry Potter - people gladly wear those scarfs (I bought one and I am not even a potter fan, lol). Even more so, Avatarland does not look that great - but I am open to seeing the vision come alive.

SJN1279

I think the headline should've been J.K. Rowling is lucky that Disney didn't get Harry Potter.

I am saying this because Disney would have created a value imgineered Harry Potter land in DHS. No other WDW theme would have been a great fit for Harry Potter since World Showcase isn't supposed to have movie rides anyway.

Most of the Disney theme parks world wide have been a bad fit for Harry Potter based on the theme the parks Disney has.

Instead Universal gave us 20 meaningless shops(because JK gets a cut of the merchandise), a puke machine, a very expensive transportation screen based train, and a screen based 3D coaster that really isn't a coaster.

seascape

What is her deal with Universal? Did she get the percentage of the gate that she wanted from Disney and how much in sales is she guaranteed?

wdwfan4ver

What is her deal with Universal? Did she get the percentage of the gate that she wanted from Disney and how much in sales is she guaranteed?
Her deal with Universal is more than percentage of the gate. She wanted control on how a Harry Potter Land would be like.

She wanted more than percentage from Disney. She wanted Harry Potter Franchise to be a theme park land and Disney didn't want that. She also didn't like the fact Jay Rasulo did a presentation to her that had Harry potter attraction as a Toy Story Midway Mania attraction.

kap91

Instead Universal gave us 20 meaningless shops(because JK gets a cut of the merchandise), a puke machine, a very expensive transportation screen based train, and a screen based 3D coaster that really isn't a coaster.

Ok I literally almost laughed out loud at your post, only because it resembles the tone most of the critiques Disney get's these days...I think you might be going a tad too far though.

Though I would think the reviews of the Hogwarts Express should be interesting. If mine train can only be considered a D+ ticket at best with a coaster and state-of-the-art animatronics, then I fail to see how an essentially motionless room with two Tv's can be considered anything more. Let me state now though that I haven't been on the Express yet (hoping to tomorrow if I'm really lucky) so I can't fully judge it with authority.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Walt also knew what he could re-release his old films on a rotation and make money on them, so he did.

Yet, he didn't stop making new movies or new projects either... or shutdown his animation studio with the mindset 'I have all the films I need'. The point was the company knew that they needed to keep looking forward for the next thing.. even if the old stuff still made money.

Evaluating opportunities.. and WHIFFING on them.. and then being caught behind are mistakes. And that's the point I was making. It doesn't matter that their old attractions and old films still made money in the mean time.. identifying market opportunities and shifts is what the executives are responsible to do! Their job isn't to run the company day to day.. or pick the color of the wall paint.. it's to be STEERING the company and to put it on the trajectory that will ensure they are at the right spot at the right time.

To use your coke analogy... the CEO of TCC is responsible to understand that even tho they were the top selling beverage in the world... that these 'sport drinks' or 'health drinks' trends were the next wave of customer growth and demand.. and they had better had a strategy to fight it, or get on board with their own products if they were going to stay current in the market and where the growth was.

I'm not arguing that Disney has reached an understanding that no updates or upgrades are needed to turn a profit, merely that they seem to have discovered that their optimum return does not require the level of expansion and expense demonstrated in the '80s and '90s, or even by Universal today.

Maybe.. but that doesn't mean they should sit back and think they have the market figured out. With lead times what they are.. and images taking even longer to build.. you can't wait until something is proven if you want to be the guy known for being innovative or the leader in a space.

EpcoTim

But, the entire Harry Potter land has hit Disney where it hurts the most...Pride.
It hurts when your competition one ups you, you get to hear how amazing Universal's land is and then hear people question whether you (Disney) could even pull off a Harry Potter land.
It hurts.

Do you really think (outside of imagineering) that anyone at Disney is worried about pride; other than their own, personal pride? Maybe I'm missing something, but pride seems to have zero part in the current (Disney corporate) culture and it shows no signs of coming back anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom