Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

mahnamahna101

Alright, c'mon, almost all of that is pure speculation, especially the bit about Christopher Tolkien letting anything Lord of the Rings get built.

You did see potentially right? I never said any of that was confirmed... someone neglected to read the whole post.

This isn't TDO,.. when something gets rumored for Universal these days, something geuninely magical happens - they build it.

And Steve Burke even said the entire resort is going to look completely different by the end of the decade. Comcast is bold right now... they've got a fire in their belly. And the first 15 things are fairly certain to be added. Until 2018/2019, I don't see Comcast slowing down.

kap91

Huh? The shirts... the scarves.. the other clothing. Just to name a few
Then there is that whole 'wand' thing...
Then there's that whole themed candy thing...

And this isn't even touching on the food stuff...

Contrast that with Disney's offers of..
mostly ugly clothing
stuffed animals
housewares
picture frames
scrapbook kits

Oh yeah, and all of it you can just pickup at World of Disney since everything is the same everywhere

Well for starters Disney's design team on the merchandise is lightyears ahead of Universal. I literally can't stop finding phone cases, pins, housewares and shirts I like. I have no use for a set of $100 robes and scarf in 95 degree Orlando, and wands that do nothing (though if I was a kid I'd probably want a wand). Themed candy is nice, but it's not like Disney doesn't have any of that. Not to mention the Dtech stuff, and ride miniatures/toys, etc. I lament the fact that Disney's merchandise has become homogenized but at least there's still stuff I want to buy. And it's not like Universal couldn't have done better...how about Zonko's that actually sells joke products? Instead of shelves full of jacob's ladders and wind up robots.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well for starters Disney's design team on the merchandise is lightyears ahead of Universal. I literally can't stop finding phone cases, pins, housewares and shirts I like. I have no use for a set of $100 robes and scarf in 95 degree Orlando, and wands that do nothing (though if I was a kid I'd probably want a wand). Themed candy is nice, but it's not like Disney doesn't have any of that. Not to mention the Dtech stuff, and ride miniatures/toys, etc. I lament the fact that Disney's merchandise has become homogenized but at least there's still stuff I want to buy. And it's not like Universal couldn't have done better...how about Zonko's that actually sells joke products? Instead of shelves full of jacob's ladders and wind up robots.

I buy clothes to wear when go home.. not just to wear in the parks. "I love NYC" in NYC...

You have an opinion.. it just seems to be the extreme rare one. All I know is my kids have house shirts they still wear years later they picked out on their last trip.. and even after our last TWO Disney stays they don't have any disney clothes. The last shirt I bought in the parks was Star Wars.. not DisneyParks.. and I bought more on my DCL cruises then I've bought in the parks in probably 15 years.

The last Disney parks things we bought were PhotoPass picture frames.. because they were 50% off and it celebrated an important anniversary for me and my wife.

kap91

Uhh... the world isn't just about Disney vs Universal.

When guests come on property.. they didn't emerge from Universal.. they came out from the rest of the world.

Nothing of what I've been talking about is about Disney vs Universal.. It's about Disney and it's customers

What theme park is using mobile tech to a greater degree? As far as I know Disney is the only resort embracing mobile tech and meeting it's guests where they are. Disney is linking every possible system to it's mobile app and MM+ in a seamless way, has free, reliable wifi throughout the park, an accurate wait time system, restaurant reservation manager, ride booking system, full set of location aware maps, payment system, room key system, photo system, all linked to it's app and bands. If there is any theme park, or indeed any destination at all, that has created something anywhere near the scale of this and is actively using it I'd love to see it.

mahnamahna101

Hogwarts Express is a C or D ticket up-charge attraction. A cute ride, but not to the level of pre-opening hype.

About as cute as your dark ride "the whole family can enjoy" would have been;)

Oh, it's cute?! Just like Toy Story Midway Mania?! The ride you apparently would want instead of Forbidden Journey and Gringotts? Those are C tickets as well, huh? :rolleyes: Oh wait, what's that... they're E-tickets?

It's not up-charge... 85-90% of guests at Universal Orlando buy 2 day flex parkhoppers already.

lazyboy97o

What theme park is using mobile tech to a greater degree? As far as I know Disney is the only resort embracing mobile tech and meeting it's guests where they are. Disney is linking every possible system to it's mobile app and MM+ in a seamless way, has free, reliable wifi throughout the park, an accurate wait time system, restaurant reservation manager, ride booking system, full set of location aware maps, payment system, room key system, photo system, all linked to it's app and bands. If there is any theme park, or indeed any destination at all, that has created something anywhere near the scale of this and is actively using it I'd love to see it.
Pretty much everyone else in the industry wants people to stop looking at their phones, not do it more.

EpcoTim

You're right. Disney can design poorly made, over-priced Chinese stuffed animals better than anyone else.

kap91

I buy clothes to wear when go home.. not just to wear in the parks. "I love NYC" in NYC...

You have an opinion.. it just seems to be the extreme rare one. All I know is my kids have house shirts they still wear years later they picked out on their last trip.. and even after our last TWO Disney stays they don't have any disney clothes. The last shirt I bought in the parks was Star Wars.. not DisneyParks.. and I bought more on my DCL cruises then I've bought in the parks in probably 15 years.

The last Disney parks things we bought were PhotoPass picture frames.. because they were 50% off and it celebrated an important anniversary for me and my wife.

Me too. Which is why I wouldn't buy set of robes (which i could wear when? Halloween?) but would buy a Epcot Center t-shirt with a retro logo on it, or a rain jacket that I can actually use with a Est 71 on the lapel.

Bairstow

You're right. Disney can design poorly made, over-priced Chinese stuffed animals better than anyone else.

I dunno, those Hedwig puppets are pretty cute...

quNt95A.jpg

kap91

Correct - Disney has finally caught up with your local movie theater.. bravo! Nothing like being on top Disney! You keep talking about theme parks.. I'm talking about customers.

Hardly the same thing. You know, what never mind I give up. I can't convince you or the many others here. Everything that Disney has done in the past 10 years is disappointing and indicative of their inevitable spiral towards doom while meanwhile Universal is farting rainbows. I look forward to less people on main street.

SJN1279

About as cute as your dark ride "the whole family can enjoy" would have been;)

Oh, it's cute?! Just like Toy Story Midway Mania?! The ride you apparently would want instead of Forbidden Journey and Gringotts? Those are C tickets as well, huh? :rolleyes: Oh wait, what's that... they're E-tickets?

It's not up-charge... 85-90% of guests at Universal Orlando buy 2 day flex parkhoppers already.

I enjoy Toy Story Mania way more than I do Forbidden Journey. Gringotts I guess we'll see.

I usually buy a single day ticket to Universal, so I guess I'm part of your 15 percent figures you pulled out of your butt. A two park non-hopper pass is the best way to see the resort. One park per day. A two park hopper is really worthless unless you want to ride their upcharge train.

WDW1974

Hardly the same thing. You know, what never mind I give up. I can't convince you or the many others here. Everything that Disney has done in the past 10 years is disappointing and indicative of their inevitable spiral towards doom while meanwhile Universal is farting rainbows. I look forward to less people on main street.

And this is the first post I see ... yep, this is clearly a fun thread. ... Why can't Disney fans simply acknowledge that WDW has become second rate in so many areas? Why can't they think rationally? Why does BRAND marketing 'MAGIC" and Pixie Dust mean more to so many than quality and value? ... MAGIC Bands and door locks and kiddle coasters are somehow more MAGICal than cutting edge immersive themed family areas based on beloved IP? No, I don't get that. Not at all.

Can some people simply be honest and fair and say ''I know this may not be normal or healthy, but I am addicted to WDW?''

And, by the same token, can UNI fanbois not act as if the sky parted and a lightning bolt from the heavens came down and created Diagon Alley and anointed a park that still has plenty of flaws as the crystal clear standard of best park in the world?

Neither of those will happen, so let's play ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom