Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

Magenta Panther

I think you're 100% right, Universal and Harry Potter-land are basically WDW's 5th gate. I think it's a very small percentage of people outside Orlando who would travel to Florida to only see Uni and Harry potter, but there's a much bigger percentage that are devoted not only to Disney's characters, but Star Wars, Indy, Pixar, Muppets, ect... plus Epcot, Animal Kingdom, the 2 water parks, and the resorts, even Disney's hotels have fan pages on the web

What remains to be seen here is will the people who like Harry Potter pay twice as much to see all the attractions that are now spread out across 2 parks? Just because Uni doubled down and built a sequel to Harry Potterland, doesn't mean everyone in the world will come and pay to see both. Potter fans will go see both, how many people know what a Gringott is, or are willing to pay extra to find out?

Just one LOOK at the place should convince a lot of people. Anybody who visits theme parks because they want to escape into an alternate, enchanted world would want to visit Uni right now. I don't see how they could resist.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
This should lead to some nice, calm, level headed discussion. ;)
points.jpg

roodlesnouter

Potter Hogsmeade has been a cash cow that has funded other attractions and expansions at Uni, Simpsons, Transformers, Revamped Citywalk, new hotel and ultimately Diagon Alley. Diagon Alley will again be a cash cow funding more expansion and new attractions, hotels and gates. This thing is a snowball which is fueling the way for uni to eat into Disneys market share. People are/will drop days from their Disney vacation to visit Uni, they will see how much Uni has come in such a short space and this will fuell return trips, taking even more market share.

If Disney had of gotten the rights and built the land they would/could have stopped Uni dead in their tracks,

Biggest mistake for 20 years? you betcha!

kap91

From Yahoo News. Not the type of national buzz Disney wants to have.

Link: Universal makes big bet on Harry Potter — again
video on link, from Yahoo news..

"Universal management never expected the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to become as successful as it has – and neither did Disney (DIS). The media giant dropped its bid for the licensing rights to Harry Potter in 2006. “That was [Disney’s] biggest mistake in the last 20 years,” says Neil Begley, senior analyst at Moody’s Investors Services. Disney passed on Potter because it was costly and J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros. controlled the intellectual property, which goes against Disney’s modus operandi. “Universal was the beneficiary of that,” Begley adds.

Wizarding World’s popularity may have driven Disney to sign a long-term licensing agreement with "Avatar" director James Cameron, his producing partner Jon Landau and 20th Century Fox, to build an “Avatar”-themed land based on Cameron’s mythical planet of Pandora (expected to open at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in 2017).

“Disney did not want another ‘Harry Potter’ on its hands and is now playing catch up,” says Begley. The "Avatar" deal shows Disney is “willing to break the formula where essentially they had to own all the intellectual property and all the films and the rights around it, and they're doing what's necessary to remain fresh and attractive for consumers.”

Not a mistake as far as I'm concerned for two reasons

1. No way Harry potter would have been as popular as Universal's version as Disney had no need to pull out all the stops and build an entire land.

2. The last thing I would have wanted is for DHS to become "the Place that had Harry potter"

I'd also add that while entire lands based on one IP is cool is some respects, I really hope it's a momentary trend (let's get Star Wars out of Disney's system and move on please)and we go back to more general lands with original rides and/or occasion IP based rides in larger original lands. Too much to ask for these days?

Bairstow

Potter Hogsmeade has been a cash cow that has funded other attractions and expansions at Uni, Simpsons, Transformers, Revamped Citywalk, new hotel and ultimately Diagon Alley. Diagon Alley will again be a cash cow funding more expansion and new attractions, hotels and gates. This thing is a snowball which is fueling the way for uni to eat into Disneys market share. People are/will drop days from their Disney vacation to visit Uni, they will see how much Uni has come in such a short space and this will fuell return trips, taking even more market share.

If Disney had of gotten the rights and built the land they would/could have stopped Uni dead in their tracks,

Biggest mistake for 20 years? you betcha!

Well again, until Universal chooses to build/buy enough parks to become its own 4-5 day destination complex, I don't think that the market share they take from Disney will outweigh the increase in overall Orlando tourism that Potter generates- an increase that Disney is probably benefiting from.

Unless they have some really clever tricks up their sleeve with the Wet n' Wild property, or unless they form a much stronger alliance with Sea World, I don't see Universal being able to do that anytime soon.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Uni could just as easily call WDW it's 2nd gate. How many people are gonna shave a few days off their Disney trip to check out DA? People arent shaving days off from a Uni trip, theyre doing all Uni has amd then going to WDW. Same people who would have spent their ENTIRE trip at WDW 5 or 6 years ago. Disney is loosing days while Uni is gaining them. I'd say Uni is the winner in this aspect also because It has the WOW factor with DA and those who take a few days off Disney to check it out may find other draws that Uni has and the new norm for their family vacation will be to split it between WDW and Universal. The total number of family vacation days sacrificed from Disney will seriously add up. Disney only stands to loose money in the long run while Uni's attendance and bottom line will increase.

What's sad is that WDW will probly have more visitors/profit from people checking out DA than from anything they (WDW) have recently done. It's obvious they're in a mad rush to get new Frozen in our faces as much as possible But Frozen sing-alongs in DHS won't get national media coverage. At some point Disney has to realize that M&G's are NOT the answer to everything. I'm so sick of hearing about new M&G's. And whoever chimed in to add that their MB worked flawlessly on their trip gets the fanboi "dueche of the day" award.

GiveMeTheMusic

As for the whole NexGen point, can we let this go? Disney did not spend $1B on just WDW bracelets and that is a fact. Their entire infrastructure that manages sales, reservations, photos, and more across all their properties including the cruise ships all had to be upgraded & enhanced. It is a cross business unit enhancement so they can change direction in the long term. Like any other sophisticated system that requires touching almost every system in place, it has issues that they have been diligently working through. Frustrating for now, but later it will be no big deal. I'm curious if all of you who complain about NexGen would have thrown a fit back in the day when Disney changed A/B/C/D/E tickets to a single park entry paper ticket would have complained then? "Well, why should I pay for those rides when I won't go on them. I only like these rides, but now I have to pay for them all essentially." Or more recently did you complain with "I don't want my room key, park ticket, and charging privleges linked on this Key-to-the-World credit card thing. If someone gets a hold of it, they can break into my room and charge up all kinds of things, plus I'm out a park ticket!"? It's all so silly really. Just simple business evolution. The bigger the business, the harder it is to change course.

The difference is those transitions didn't cost $1 - $3 billion and come at the expense of park expansion, upgrades and maintenance. Infrastructure is important to be sure, but this was inefficient and for the price paid, foolish.

Disney was dumb to let Harry Potter go, but I'm glad they did - they would have done a horrid job with it.

roodlesnouter

Well again, until Universal chooses to build/buy enough parks to become its own 4-5 day destination complex, I don't think that the market share they take from Disney will outweigh the increase in overall Orlando tourism that Potter generates- an increase that Disney is probably benefiting from.

Unless they have some really clever tricks up their sleeve with the Wet n' Wild property, or unless they form a much stronger alliance with Sea World, I don't see Universal being able to do that anytime soon.

They have already shown they have plenty of "clever tricks" with the attractions they have built and land acquired and with more to come, Kong has already broken ground. Wet and Wild isn't the water park Disney should be worried about although that land will be useful. Uni will be "unrecognisable in 10 years time" with $$$$ already allocated to increase hotels, attractions and gates.

Last edited:

Hobnail Boot

I can't remember where I read/saw this, but I believe there were 3 leading concepts for Disney Potter and by far the most likely one would have been a "broomstick riding" variant of 'Soarin, a single shop, and a single QS restaurant.
I think it was @marni1971 who said in the Spirited thread that Disney's leading contender for a HP ride was a TSMM style ride with wands.

WDWLover#1

Jim Hill has told some really interesting stories about Rowling's meetings with WDI when they were still in the race to get Potter, and the way Universal supposedly gave Rowling Audrey Geisel's phone number and invited her to call her and ask her opinions of how Universal treats the owners of their IP.

Anyone know where those are? I can't remember if that was on a podcast or in one of his articles.
Yh I remember hearing that. They showed Jk Rowling round The Dr seus area and showed how they painted every thing correctly. And when Geisel noticed something wrong they fixed it.

PrincessNelly_NJ

What remains to be seen here is will the people who like Harry Potter pay twice as much to see all the attractions that are now spread out across 2 parks? Just because Uni doubled down and built a sequel to Harry Potterland, doesn't mean everyone in the world will come and pay to see both. Potter fans will go see both, how many people know what a Gringott is, or are willing to pay extra to find out?
It isn't twice as much. The difference is about 40 dollars, to go from a 1 day base ticket to 1 day park hopper, 2 day base ticket to 2 day park hopper or 1 day ticket to 2 day ticket.
2 day base tickets are currently their more popular ticket option anyway...
I think Uni has done a great job spreading the word about this new expansion. It was trending Worldwide on twitter during media previews.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Generally true, but for some companies, the best course of action is just to give people what you've always given them.

No - because you confuse not changing a well received product... with not changing anything.

Coke may be selling the same product, but how they sell, where they sell, how they promote, how they distribute, how they price, what size do you sell, etc are all examples of how the company and products change to ensure they remain current, leverage new opportunities, and generally keep growing.. without "changing" Coca-Cola itself.

There is no sound business strategy that starts and ends with "Its been working, so lets just call it a day and keep doing the same until we start losing money"

baymenxpac

the biggest thing here, as @TP2000 mentioned, is that disney is taking a gigantic PR hit on this. there's no way for them to spin this. the only thing better would have been if the article said, "while uni is doubling down on potter, disney is spending as estimated $2 billion and counting on rolling out their vacation planning, technology-driven program mymagic+, which has been met with mixed reviews."

i would argue that cutting investment into P&R post-9/11 would actually be their biggest mistake in 20 years. if WDW was still offering a fresh product, WWOHP -- while revolutionary -- would still largely be viewed as a tack on to a disney vacation. instead, it's a beast of a whole other animal.

kap91

The difference is those transitions didn't cost $1 - $3 billion and come at the expense of park expansion, upgrades and maintenance. Infrastructure is important to be sure, but this was inefficient and for the price paid, foolish.

While I disagree about it being foolish I think what people fail to realize is that it really doesn't matter. It's not like Disney spent a billion dollars on mm+ and now won't be able to build anything else in the future. They spent a billion on mm+, it's mostly finished, and now they're free to spend money on whatever they'd like, which undoubtedly will be avatar, then Star Wars, and who knows after. Focusing on the mm+ budget is a short sighted argument.

Now how good the future attractions will be is something else entirely, but considering what we've seen in carsland, and the stuff planned for Shanghai, even the last minute changes to mine train, I'd say the odds are better than good that what Orlando gets will not be disappointing.

People will probably be disappointed at the pace of change but I think it's way more important that change happens. Disney might be filthy rich but they still don't have limitless resources.

You know, in all honesty I wouldn't mind Disney getting a small but significant PR hit from this. I don't like the negative perception that it might engender but there is such a thing as being too popular and too big for your own good. I could list companies but Apple comes to mind at the moment. So many of WDW's problems stem from managing so many people and places it might actually be good if attendance dropped, give them the ability to be more nimble, and actually give incentive to build more, more impressive, and quicker.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom