News Disney plans to reboot Voyage of the Little Mermaid stage show at Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
all of those projects were approved before Covid though. theres a reason nothing "new" has been announced for WDW which is why we are now entering a period of at least 5 years with no new opening attractions (based on how long it takes them to build)
DE, Harm, and I! were all post-Covid. As well as Jollywood Nights. As well as Communicore Plaza and Hall (changed from the Toadstool building mid-Covid).

Also you changed the goalpost to "keep everything the same as pre-Covid" to "nothing new for a few years," which implies that there will indeed be new things post-Covid. That's what the $17B earmarked for WDW is all about. That's why they keep flying blue sky plans to see which get saluted, so that they can do new things post-Covid.

JD80

Honestly, why would they do any of that when the audience has been so pathetically dumbed down that they proclaim a simple planter to be “absolutely remarkable!!!”?

Slop the hogs and they eat it up with gratitude.
Who are you talking about when you're proclaiming people are pathetically dumbed down?

celluloid

Maybe they'd do more if people would stop crapping on every little thing they do

Actually, no. 2007-2016 is very evident of this. Bob Iger joined and said all he was going to do was invest in the current four parks, and they really sucked at that until Avatar opened. The biggest "MK expansion" in history was not even an expansion. Laurels rested in that area when things were always praised and money was good is one of the reasons things are playing catch up now.

And they gave up on maintenance standards for many things, which would make no sense

If people did not "crap on"/not see the value ideas, we may still have those cabanas in Tomorrowland and bad show transportation in the back of each theme park.

Kev1982

Maybe they'd do more if people would stop crapping on every little thing they do
You are absolutely right. When you read these forums, I don’t even know why to still bother. Everything apparently is bad and cheap and a miss. Used to check in every day a few times but now some days or even weeks not at all. All negativity. I get everybody is entitled to their opinion but my opinion is, just relax and watch the finished profucts before ….

JustInTime

You are absolutely right. When you read these forums, I don’t even know why to still bother. Everything apparently is bad and cheap and a miss. Used to check in every day a few times but now some days or even weeks not at all. All negativity. I get everybody is entitled to their opinion but my opinion is, just relax and watch the finished profucts before ….
It’s become unbearable.

SoFloMagic

Actually, no. 2007-2016 is very evident of this. Bob Iger joined and said all he was going to do was invest in the current four parks, and they really sucked at that until Avatar opened. The biggest "MK expansion" in history was not even an expansion. Laurels rested in that area when things were always praised and money was good is one of the reasons things are playing catch up now.

And they gave up on maintenance standards for many things, which would make no sense

If people did not "crap on"/not see the value ideas, we may still have those cabanas in Tomorrowland and bad show transportation in the back of each theme park.
Theres a difference between crapping on the Tomorrowland cabanas and complaining about journey of water. The nuance is what we're missing. If everything is crisis level 10, why try anything?

celluloid

Theres a difference between crapping on the Tomorrowland cabanas and complaining about journey of water. The nuance is what we're missing. If everything is crisis level 10, why try anything?

Why lump all people to that? Moana does not deserve a lot of hate, and it probably does not deserve endless praise considering the hype level around it. It probably gets what it deserves? I have not seen it be a source of hate as if lambasted. The time and resources it has been given seems more of what people don't care for. Like Moana is a nice side exhibition but also probably did not deserve an entire ABC Segment level hype months before it opened either.

To say Disney does not try anymore because people "crap on" things is just silly. That is not how effort works.

And saying people can't be negative on things before it is finished is silly too. If it bothers someone so much just presume it has "based on what is released so far" as always implied before someone's critique. They should not have to wait for it to be done to give their opinion on what they see thus far and be honest if it interests them or not. Concept art and PR are meant to entice. If they don't to some. That is not the consumer's fault. It is a big company, they can handle critique. The result can't be satisfied about everything completely until it is done.

Last edited:

doctornick

Why lump all people to that? Moana does not deserve a lot of hate, and it probably does not deserve endless praise considering the hype level around it. It probably gets what it deserves? I have not seen it be a source of hate as if lambasted.

All I can say is that you must not have actually read the dedicated thread on the attraction because it has been senselessly mocked ever since being announced typically for reasons complete unrelated to the quality of the attraction (and not just due to the construction timeframe).

Also I’m not sure what “hype” level you are talking about. Disney has barely promoted it beyond simply acknowledging it exists.

celluloid

All I can say is that you must not have actually read the dedicated thread on the attraction because it has been senselessly mocked ever since being announced typically for reasons complete unrelated to the quality of the attraction (and not just due to the construction timeframe).

Also I’m not sure what “hype” level you are talking about. Disney has barely promoted it beyond simply acknowledging it exists.

Really? It was on tv about five months before opening. Typical for ABC Synergy but it is not like this was under-promised in press

It is a little bit silly to think that people crapping on Disney's lesser project success are the reason they don't try anymore isn't it? Theme parks like really any free market business give up on a project not becuase of negative feedback, but when it does not please people to spend their money on it.

While it is typical for synergy, to have entire TV segments and two of the film's characters into the parking lot aesthetic that besides the venue have no representation in the park so long before it opened for this scale of a project was a bit overhype for many from one of the most visited theme parks in the world.

Fast and the Furious and Jimmy Fallon are some of the worst things Universal has produced for their theme parks. People crap on them becuase they are just not that impressive.
Universal still has gone forward with better projects and risk taking.

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Who are you talking about when you're proclaiming people are pathetically dumbed down?
He’s referring to me and a comment I made in the Evolving Epcot forum about how the new future world (I don’t know what it’s actually called now) looks “absolutely remarkable” compared to what was there before. People like him have no real arguments so they resort to calling people “pathetically dumbed down” because it gives their small egos a slight boost.

celluloid

Its not called Future World anymore. We have moved on. It looks great, like it belongs in 2023. Good job imagineering 👍 To stay on topic… new Mermaid show: bring it on, can’t wait 🎉

Not trying to target you, but this is pretty hilarious.
Things move on. It is nothing like it used to and it looks like it belongs in a specific year that ends this weekend, now let's talk about the 1990s sing along puppet show at another park with troubled identity.

Here is hoping the show enhances the venue from what it was before it was abandoned.

Horizonsfan

I agree that there's a contingent who seemingly wants to hate everything.

An equally strange group seemingly wants only 100% glowing reviews.

I'm not sure if one caused the other, or if social media fueled these attitudes. Neither of them seems particularly healthy or productive.

You're on a discussion forum for theme park nerds. People should be able to have nuanced adult opinions that celebrate the good and give constructive feedback on the bad. The world's not solely black and white, there's a lot of grey.

Back on topic, I'm curious to see how they squeeze in that extra musical number. Longer run times & less shows overall or cutting other segments short? I could see the pros and cons of both.

TheMaxRebo

Back on topic, I'm curious to see how they squeeze in that extra musical number. Longer run times & less shows overall or cutting other segments short? I could see the pros and cons of both.

I aim interested in the run time for the updated show - I know the trend has been to shortening things (like with the new Nemo show), but VOTLM was only ~14mins so not super long so they could keep it similar length or even a little longer, so maybe just slight tweaks

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I agree that there's a contingent who seemingly wants to hate everything.

An equally strange group seemingly wants only 100% glowing reviews.

I'm not sure if one caused the other, or if social media fueled these attitudes. Neither of them seems particularly healthy or productive.

You're on a discussion forum for theme park nerds. People should be able to have nuanced adult opinions that celebrate the good and give constructive feedback on the bad. The world's not solely black and white, there's a lot of grey.

Indeed its strange. IMHO even more so are the ones that staunchly profess that "I'll never set foot in any of the parks" until their demands are met and haven't been in years, yet still post about the here and now even as they profess how detached they are.

Last edited:

celluloid

I aim interested in the run time for the updated show - I know the trend has been to shortening things (like with the new Nemo show), but VOTLM was only ~14mins so not super long so they could keep it similar length or even a little longer, so maybe just slight tweaks

The original show was a bit longer.

I really liked the effects of the show and all that rockwork. I hope most of that was well taken care of and is incorporated. Hopefully plenty of well done puppetry.

Bocabear

I am glad they are doing something with the shuttered theater, but kind of feel like it is time for something fresh in that spot that would be more appropriate to the design and layout of the park...less randomly dropped in for no apparent reason... A Little Mermaid show in the Magic Kingdom next to the ride? SURE! In the courtyard of Launch Bay and Disney Junior, it all feels disjointed. With is show currently shuttered, and Launch Bay hopefully on the way out, maybe it is a good time to reorganize the offerings here and think about the narrative of the area... This park has several things that make little sense anymore... Star Tours to Muppets to Galaxy's Edge is another area... They should use this opportunity to realign the IP in the park and create a more cohesive experience overall... The original park used the "Working Studios", Production, and movie sets as the reason for the assorted stories haphazardly thrown about the park... The Working Studio theme is gone... it is time to re-think how the park works thematically with good transitions from area to area...In the end it will make the park much stronger.

JD80

The strategic use of the ignore button makes these forums bearable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom