News Disney plans to reboot Voyage of the Little Mermaid stage show at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disney Maddux

Glad we can take one abandoned building off the list! Live entertainment is a hallmark of a well-run Disney park.

Now let's get working on that Stitch plot of land up the road at MK. There's got to be some "adventure" we can put there.
Did we ever get any update on the recent rumbling about a possible SGE replacement?

...dare I say, with this being restored (and the Lilo & Stitch remake coming up), it could even be a restored SGE?

castlecake2.0

What an embarrassment right now. An area of the park that should be celebrating its animation legacy is now multiple closed stores, a half a__ Star Wars exhibit, and a tacky word art stall.
53A4AC06-FA89-4453-8561-84F1E9022807.jpeg

Bocabear

The current leadership is only interested in maintaining the status quo and return of pre-covid offerings, definitely not interested in re-inventing the wheel or doing something like coming up with a brand new show or re-doing the whole area. that will take new people coming into power and making the decisions.
Sadly I think this is true... And the word art booth is ridiculous... How very "Six Flags"...
They just added MMRR, it was always the animation courtyard...Why not forget about Little Mermaid (Who now has a ride and section in Fantasyland) and put in a complete Toontown... Mickey and Minnie's houses that are now gone from the Magic Kingdom, CarToon Spin, a flat ride or two, a restaurant and a couple quick serves and connect it over to RNRR with a 1940s Hollywood makeover... Baffling to let this section of the park become nothing....

castlecake2.0

The current leadership is only interested in maintaining the status quo and return of pre-covid offerings, definitely not interested in re-inventing the wheel or doing something like coming up with a brand new show or re-doing the whole area. that will take new people coming into power and making the decisions.
I’d be content if they just put it back to 2015 in that area for now, better than the current garbage there

flyerjab

Sadly I think this is true... And the word art booth is ridiculous... How very "Six Flags"...
They just added MMRR, it was always the animation courtyard...Why not forget about Little Mermaid (Who now has a ride and section in Fantasyland) and put in a complete Toontown... Mickey and Minnie's houses that are now gone from the Magic Kingdom, CarToon Spin, a flat ride or two, a restaurant and a couple quick serves and connect it over to RNRR with a 1940s Hollywood makeover... Baffling to let this section of the park become nothing....
Agreed. Sometimes I think it is too many cooks in the kitchen, with too much consensus needed and red tape to cut through to get anything done. This show to me is an example of a quick win strategy.

It’s obvious to me that in order to get something approved, Imagineering has to first think of something that will satisfy Bob’s insatiable IP mandate, then get approval through Vaughn, then through D’Amaro, then WDW management will have to look at it and ultimately want to cut out those things that they feel are too expensive to maintain (i.e. a player vs a fountain), then this cycle will repeat itself probably multiple times, and then it might need board approval if the capex is high enough. And picking the right IP is tough because it will need to be relevant, long lasting, have broad appeal across segments of the company, sell enough merch, and hopefully not be at risk due to bombing more recently on Disney+ or at the box office.

Animation Courtyard has been dying for something. Heck, isn’t that what started this empire? This.. should…be…easy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn't this the same leadership that revamped EPCOTs hub, added Ratatouille and GotG:CR, and tried out several new fireworks shows? How is that just keeping things the same from pre-Covid times?

Bocabear

I'd like to re-boot The Little mermaid show.....right out of the park...lol
The "Animation Studios" portion of this park should really be spectacular and yes! a no-brainer...
If no one likes the ToonTown idea, what about a huge fountain in the center of the courtyard based on Fantasia... then rebuild the Animation building facade to look more like the DCA version...
Inside a huge animation exhibit and the queue for a "Great Movie Ride" Disney Animation Edition...Omnimover people eater through beautifully recreated moments through Disney animated film history...in chronological order... now THAT would be a great ride full of IP, telling the Disney Studios story... Disney Jr could be changed into a huge restaurant dining in some of Feature Animation's most beautiful settings...with Characters appropriate to each...

Epcot81Fan

I'd like to re-boot The Little mermaid show.....right out of the park...lol
The "Animation Studios" portion of this park should really be spectacular and yes! a no-brainer...
If no one likes the ToonTown idea, what about a huge fountain in the center of the courtyard based on Fantasia... then rebuild the Animation building facade to look more like the DCA version...
Inside a huge animation exhibit and the queue for a "Great Movie Ride" Disney Animation Edition...Omnimover people eater through beautifully recreated moments through Disney animated film history...in chronological order... now THAT would be a great ride full of IP, telling the Disney Studios story... Disney Jr could be changed into a huge restaurant dining in some of Feature Animation's most beautiful settings...with Characters appropriate to each...
Honestly, why would they do any of that when the audience has been so pathetically dumbed down that they proclaim a simple planter to be “absolutely remarkable!!!”?

Slop the hogs and they eat it up with gratitude.

Tha Realest

Honestly, why would they do any of that when the audience has been so pathetically dumbed down that they proclaim a simple planter to be “absolutely remarkable!!!”?

Slop the hogs and they eat it up with gratitude.
They no no incentives - and there are many disincentives - to building anything new pro original or that in any way expands capacity.

DisneyDreamerxyz

Isn't this the same leadership that revamped EPCOTs hub, added Ratatouille and GotG:CR, and tried out several new fireworks shows? How is that just keeping things the same from pre-Covid times?
all of those projects were approved before Covid though. theres a reason nothing "new" has been announced for WDW which is why we are now entering a period of at least 5 years with no new opening attractions (based on how long it takes them to build)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom