News Disney plans to reboot Voyage of the Little Mermaid stage show at Disney's Hollywood Studios

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I am intrigued with the "more to come" tease.

The Disney stunt shows (Indy and the gone LMA) are so poor when compared to the fantastic Bourne Stunt show. Let's get some updates and new entertainment. Make this park feel alive again!
I still enjoy Indy, but I agree with you on Bourne. I've seen it a half dozen times in the past year and it's still great. Even the one time there was a technical problem, it was great. They basically turned it into a "making of" moment and showed how the effects were done while they were resetting the scene.

LittleBuford

ugh this old thing...it really is time they came up with some new shows...
if they have no ideas, take something from Disneyland... Mickey and the Magical Map... Snow White, and enchanting Musical....I am sure there are many others, only come up with something...after 31 years it is time....
I think I’m in the minority, but I adore this show and think it’s earned the right to be considered a venerable relic of a past age that deserves to be preserved in some form.

Brer Panther

I find the show kind of redundant now that we have the dark ride in Magic Kingdom, but it's nice to see they're not just gonna let the theater sit empty.

I'm also kind of surprised they're not basing it on the live action remake, considering how much they hyped that up. You think they'll at least have the remake's new "non-problematic" lyrics for "Kiss the Girl"?

LittleBuford

I find the show kind of redundant now that we have the dark ride in Magic Kingdom, but it's nice to see they're not just gonna let the theater sit empty.

I'm also kind of surprised they're not basing it on the live action remake, considering how much they hyped that up. You think they'll at least have the remake's new "non-problematic" lyrics for "Kiss the Girl"?
The old show was vastly superior to the ride. I’m certain the same will be true of the new show.

BuddyThomas

Im not going to debate this etc but if you are going to stick with the original. Stick with the original. Thats like saying lets put different ethnicities in Tianna’s new ride. Which we know would never happen…
Stop trying to win the day by making this absolutely ridiculous “point”. A mermaid is a mythological creature that does not exist. Mermaids can be played by any race. The Princess and the Frog (Disney’s version) was written specifically to have black characters. I don’t understand what is so difficult about this. Next you will be proclaiming that Dreamgirls can be performed by white actresses.

TheMaxRebo

Feel like I totally missed "Fall" as the timeframe for this - so for those changes concerned they weren't opening this for the busy fall and winter timeframe, well, they are - just next year

Screenshot_20231219-194401.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
always thought the original show was a great example of Disney entertainment. Good presentation, on brand, and different from what you got everywhere else.

Even if they had the same show with updated show tech I think that would have been cool. A refreshed show as long as it's still TLM '89 works for me too.

In the Parks
No
Casting for a traditional musical vs a Disney theme park show are two very different things. They’ve typically enforced consistency with the characters so they look the same everywhere you see them. It keeps the illusion that they “live” inside the parks.
Yeah if it's based on the original animated version I wouldn't expect them to recast Ariel's race in this...it actually has noting to do with what type of story it is or whether or not it was written with a particular ethnicity in mind (like the PatF argument). Disney already told the story a certain way, and since this show is based on that particular telling of the story, I would expect them to remain faithful to that original telling in this re-telling.

BuddyThomas

Yeah if it's based on the original animated version I wouldn't expect them to recast Ariel's race in this...it actually has noting to do with what type of story it is or whether or not it was written with a particular ethnicity in mind (like the PatF argument). Disney already told the story a certain way, and since this show is based on that particular telling of the story, I would expect them to remain faithful to that original telling in this re-telling.
They can and should cast it with the best actress and race should play no part in it whatsoever.

Disone

I still enjoy Indy, but I agree with you on Bourne. I've seen it a half dozen times in the past year and it's still great. Even the one time there was a technical problem, it was great. They basically turned it into a "making of" moment and showed how the effects were done while they were resetting the scene.
See now honestly the Bourne stun show kind of bored me... Without the kind of. Fight scene, fight scene, fight scene, and wait for it another fight scene. No big explosions, no flipping cars, big airplane.... nope. Super high tech screens for sure. Very high def but the show was a one and done for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom