News Disney plans to reboot Voyage of the Little Mermaid stage show at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Fido Chuckwagon

How about building one strong Frozen attraction instead of shoving budget-conscious half-measures into spaces in which it doesn’t fit?
Which of the two attractions is the budget-conscious half-measure in a space it doesn't fit? Both of them? What's wrong wtih a sing-along show based on an animated movie in a theme park dedicated to movies?
As a side note, Frozen 2 was one of the worst animated films Disney ever produced. I have real doubts about their ability to maintain the franchise at a reasonable level of quality.
I mean, it grossed 1.5 billion at the Box Office and is currently the third highest grossing animated film in history, so I'm not sure that your opinion that it is "one of the worst animated films Disney has ever produced" is quite substantiated.

RSoxNo1

Frozen in Norway is def lacking in places, but it's a solid attraction that does good numbers. The stage show is delightful and fun and well produced.

Frozen 2 was not one of the worst animated films Disney ever produced, not by a long mile. It's ok to not like things, but it's a real stretch to diminish the popularity of this franchise.
Frozen in Norway is out of place and does a disservice to EPCOT and the Frozen franchise. I will however give them credit on the exterior work being very solid with the Meet and Greet addition and the other aesthetic changes.

Retrofitting Frozen into the Maelstrom flume all but guaranteed the ride would have poor capacity. The interesting thing is how they did the minor, but ultimately significant improvements elsewhere around the world to take a C+/B- dark ride into a B+ dark ride.

If Maelstrom didn't exist, and they put the Hong Kong version of Frozen Ever After into the Norway Pavilion, it would be odd place making, but the capacity issues would be much better.

If they put the Tokyo version of the Frozen ride in EPCOT, the complaints would be a very small minority because the attraction is so good and it's quality would supersede the place making issues.

Brer Panther

If you could only find princesses and Toy Story in MK, a huge chunk of families wouldn't go to the other parks.
Bold of you to assume that a huge chunk of families only like those two franchises.
Also, WDW started to do this before the age of one-IP-lands.
Yes, I'm aware.
What is this insistence people have of trying to diminish Frozen's wild popularity and impact? It is one of their modern crown jewels. Just because you might not be the target demographic doesn't mean you have to like it, but millions of people do. With Frozen 3 coming, I'd expect more Frozen infusion into the parks. Also the Frozen attraction from Fantasy Springs looks like one of the best modern rides made yet.
I'm not saying Frozen isn't incredibly popular, I'm just saying that we probably don't need two Frozen attractions in two separate parks. If the sing-along is that popular, move it to the Norway pavilion where it can be next to the other Frozen attraction.
Home on the Range would like a word.
Somehow, I doubt Home on the Range is worse than Wreck-It Ralph 2. At least Home on the Range wasn't an advertisement for Disney's various franchises.

LittleBuford

Everyone realizes “one of the worst” doesn’t equal “worst,” right? Frozen 2 can be a soulless mess and still be on the same level as Wish, Home on the Range, and a couple others. Given Disneys output, that still makes it a rare awful movie.
It’s one of my least favourite Disney films, but a lot of people seem to have really enjoyed it—too many people for me to think that my less positive assessment is more than a matter of personal taste.

JD80

How about building one strong Frozen attraction instead of shoving budget-conscious half-measures into spaces in which it doesn’t fit?

As a side note, Frozen 2 was one of the worst animated films Disney ever produced. I have real doubts about their ability to maintain the franchise at a reasonable level of quality.

Post of the day.

Fido Chuckwagon

Everyone realizes “one of the worst” doesn’t equal “worst,” right? Frozen 2 can be a soulless mess and still be on the same level as Wish, Home on the Range, and a couple others. Given Disneys output, that still makes it a rare awful movie.
Again, calling the third highest grossing animated film of all time “one of the worst” Disney animated films is quite a stretch. Just because you personally don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Ice Gator

Frozen 2 was pretty awful. I wish I could remember why- that’s how forgettable it was to me. I just remember the plot being overly complicated and by the time I got to the climax I was like- wait that was it?

Brer Panther

Again, calling the third highest grossing animated film of all time “one of the worst” Disney animated films is quite a stretch. Just because you personally don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad.
Considering that the live action Smurfs movie made a lot of money too, I wouldn't say that a movie making a lot of money automatically means that it's good.

I haven't seen Frozen 2 myself (I never liked the first Frozen), so I wouldn't know how good or bad it is.

BrianLo

This shouldn’t need to be said, but box office does not correlate to quality.

Critically, Frozen 2 is mid-pack. Audience reception was stronger. I’m certainly not opposed to subjectively drawing a line in the sand and lumping it in with the bad, but Disney has far more bad movies than you realize. So to be one of the worst, that includes roughly half of their output.

One of the worst princess musical movies, though! Wish and Pocahontas.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Critically, Frozen 2 is mid-pack. Audience reception was stronger. I’m certainly not opposed to subjectively drawing a line in the sand and lumping it in with the bad, but Disney has far more bad movies than you realize. So to be one of the worst, that includes roughly half of their output.

One of the worst princess musical movies, though! Wish and Pocahontas.
There was something I loved about Pocohontas...It was a love story, it was beautifully styled....like a cartoon Broadway show... The music and songs were great...and the version with the restored "If I never knew you" song is very sweet...
but Wish....nothing about it was memorable except for the time I wasted watching it. Characters were poorly developed, it was formulaic and boring and just felt like a phone-in....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom