News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Breaking - It was just announced that due the controversy caused by this debate, Christmas at Disney Resorts has been replaced with Life Day. All CM portraying Santa have now been given Lumpy and Malla costumes.

Star Wars GIF

celluloid

Oddly enough, many people seem to believe that the best Santas must be white. I've just read some of their posts.

That is not odd. As mentioned above, the creator of the character(also inspired by St. Nicholas) described his attributes based on the culture he was, from.

It is ok as the domain is to the people who carry on it's lore, but not odd that many would prefer the tradition.

brb1006

Black Santa?

Eh sure. Why not? I already made a children's book with a mixed-race Kringle family. Santa was white, but the Mrs. wasn't. I can't figure out how to get Amazon to show more spreads inside. Here's a pic:

View attachment 599866
Going to be honest, I like this approach of a Black Santa much better than the awful 2003 animated Christmas Special "The Night B4 Christmas" (which was poorly received). Santa in the movie barely even looked like the traditional Santa. Heck his beard isn't even covering his mouth! For those curious, you can watch it on Youtube.

Lilofan

This is great! It's also great that Black Santa will also be at Disney Springs so not only the rich Black folks who can afford to get into a park can enjoy Black Santa.

It says the first appearance of Black Santa will be at the Very Merriest After Hours, so only the rich Black folk will be able to see the first appearance.
Not all are rich. Some may be living beyond their means to attend VMAH and not just African Americans.

Lilofan

I really don't think you are going to see any announcement, and certainly not at an investor call.
Maybe yes, maybe no, but Wall Street can ask any question to Bob and Christine during Q&A and but what a good time to announce improved diversity offerings to impress the Street.

The Colonel

Wait- they didn't already have a Black Santa?..those racist pigs. It's 2021 and they haven't hired a Black Santa yet? Did any blacks apply for the job? The only excuse would be if no blacks ever wanted to be Santa. Otherwise there is a big problem here. Not the progressives they make themselves out to be, are they.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That is not odd. As mentioned above, the creator of the character(also inspired by St. Nicholas) described his attributes based on the culture he was, from.

It is ok as the domain is to the people who carry on it's lore, but not odd that many would prefer the tradition.
And that is the explanation as to why planning to employ a non-white Santa might be necessary in order for people doing the hiring to believe it is acceptable to do so.

celluloid

And that is the explanation as to why planning to employ a non-white Santa might be necessary in order for people doing the hiring to believe it is acceptable to do so.
I don't think anyone that would be honestly perturbed by a dark skinned version of the character is the type of person to be for it due to a press release or announcement about it. You mentioned preference in your earlier post. Someone thinking it is non acceptable would be racist. Totally different.

Any announcement, public or internal is pandering or self patting. Not explaining.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I wouldn't say I "hate" it. It's fine. But I don't think the argument that Santa Claus is fictional is a very good one. Lando Calrissian is fictional too, but it would be inappropriate for Disney to recast Lando Calrissian with Angelina Jolie.
In the original Battlestar Galactica, Starbuck was a guy. In the reboot on cable Starbuck is a woman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom