News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

Brian

I'd just like to state for the record that I respect the viewpoints of those who dissented from mine, and I'm not just saying that. It's clear that you all have some very strong feelings on the issue of representation, and I'm glad to see that you embrace your values.

I hope we all (as a larger society) can get to a place where we once again view those who disagree with us as good and decent people.

Anyway...

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

correcaminos

It was a joke. Not a literal change to the word or its meaning. As someone who learned Spanish by living in the Dominican Republic, it was a reference to how they might say "avergonzado" in the same pronounciation you spelled out. The "eating" of the d the same way Southern dialect is often depicted with "chopping" g's off of -ing (fixin', headin' out). I first saw the "@" as a way to terminate in a gender neutral fashion back in 2000, among Dominicans my age and younger, and find the permeation of Latin-x disgusting even as a white guy from middle America. So, late gen-X (ironically) and beyond, in my personal experience. Though, being male and thinking o first, I first incorrectly read it as "oh-ah," as in "barbacoa."
Ah sorry... missed that. If you learned Spanish from Dominicans then God bless you lol. Seriously as one who speaks de España we wouldn't enjoy each others Spanish at all... said as one married to a Puerto Rican who isn't even as fast as Dominicans. I was watching the new Saved by the Bell and honestly even my husband (Spanish is his first langage) had to listen to one of the girls 2x to catch it all. Man they are fast!

So I get the dialects. Letters dropping left and right... and yeah totally accurate. If my husband says "estoy consado" it comes out e-toy consao

I'm GenX too as is my spouse. We loathe Latinx. My kid uses Latinao in school for class even. They teach it that way. I use ellos for they still but outside of Latinao the they/them issue seems to be largely ignored. So I tend to just use Latinos for all. I adjust as needed 😁

Disstevefan1

St. Nicholas, was of course black so this is the perfect thing for Disney to let us know that they have hired a person and team to make such an intense move for the company to right the wrong of Clement Clark Moore. That racist poet.

The tackyness of announcing this with the way they are announcing it while self patting is proof of what the problem really is.
And all this time I thought Coca Cola invented the white Santa....

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You do not plan to hire a black Santa. You just hire the best Santas and have no casting requirement of them being a lighter skin tone.

If you have to plan it...then you are a definition of the problem.
Oddly enough, many people seem to believe that the best Santas must be white. I've just read some of their posts. They are the definition of the problem.

"Announce" or "publicize" or "direct HR" vs. "just do it" or "color-blind hiring" are all debates about how to solve (or at least reduce the size of) the problem.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Oddly enough, many people seem to believe that the best Santas must be white. I've just read some of their posts. They are the definition of the problem.

"Announce" or "publicize" or "direct HR" vs. "just do it" or "color-blind hiring" are all debates about the way to solve the problem.
According to the Santa's bio song. All they have to be is a jolly fat man.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom