Disney plans to build a massive dynamic art installation on International Drive

lewisc

My thoughts, exactly!

Unless they're getting some sort of tax break by it being classified as art rather than a digital billboard, I can't for the life of me understand whey they're continuing to call it what it clearly isn't.
Could also be different rules regarding size, distance and setback rules if its art.

Would you like a cynical reason, could Disney be using ,$ from a Disney foundation to subsidize art.

Of course the most likely explanation one or more executives actually considers this art

lewisc

To be fair. I have no issue with a ribbon billboard at that location. Great if Disney wants to focus as much as characters as commercials. Its not up to the sign owner to decide if the pictures are creative enough to be considered art. That could be discussed by third parties after it starts to operate.
This shouldn't even make the top 100. Disney is way overselling it. Im not even sure it warrants an advance press release.

Disney store makes a lot of sense. Assume you have a car. How long does it take to navigate traffic, park in the garage, go through security then walk over to World of Disney?

JoeCamel

To be fair. I have no issue with a ribbon billboard at that location. Great if Disney wants to focus as much as characters as commercials. Its not up to the sign owner to decide if the pictures are creative enough to be considered art. That could be discussed by third parties after it starts to operate.
This shouldn't even make the top 100. Disney is way overselling it. Im not even sure it warrants an advance press release.

Disney store makes a lot of sense. Assume you have a car. How long does it take to navigate traffic, park in the garage, go through security then walk over to World of Disney?
But they had stores....

Epcot82Guy

I guess "Disney" has heard of real art installations built by artist conglomerates like Meow Wolf, and is trying to exploit that without actually investing the time, talent and money to actually build the equivalent. Surprise!

Made more ironic that we're getting an Area 15 which could potentially include a MeowWolf installation.

JoeCamel

I guess "Disney" has heard of real art installations built by artist conglomerates like Meow Wolf, and is trying to exploit that without actually investing the time, talent and money to actually build the equivalent. Surprise!
Naw, they just saw a chance to secure ad space so they went for it.
I was in the billboard business in the 70's and highway beatification was all the rage. We secured every permit and lease we could and took payouts to give up spots in other places back to the government. If you can secure ad space you do it and if you have retail in the same building it makes sense to have your sign on the outside.

lewisc

But they had stores....
JMO This location is far superior then either Orlando mall.

Mayber there is a little hope Disney will keep the Times Square store. Not going to happen but a few dozen stores in top tier malls and travel locations makes sense to me. Keeping stores in dying malls not as much sense

DisneyCane

The entire idea is a gigantic waste of money that will bring back zero ROI...they do not need to tell people on International Drive that Disney is down the road.. That million plus could have been spent in ways that would add to the guest satisfaction at the parks...rather than something off-campus that no one cares about.
Agree. A LED display that size is WAY over $1 million.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The entire idea is a gigantic waste of money that will bring back zero ROI...they do not need to tell people on International Drive that Disney is down the road.. That million plus could have been spent in ways that would add to the guest satisfaction at the parks...rather than something off-campus that no one cares about.
I don't know for sure, but I believe there may well have been some incentives from the area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom