Disney plans to build a massive dynamic art installation on International Drive

Casper Gutman

This is Disney’s response to their competition building a massive new resort expansion with a state-of-the-art theme park and several hotels. Not a new park, a new land, or even a new ride. A wavy billboard and a very unimpressive shop in a parking garage.

This is how much Disney takes its guests for granted. It’s staggering arrogance.

WDWFREAK53

So this wavy digital billboard is basically used to show static images and some sparkly pixie dust?
Why did I envision this as having imagery and art that utilizes the shape and curvature?

Casper Gutman

The only thing that caught my eye was the “fireworks explosions”(?). The rest is the standard blah Disney is known for.
Disney’s really enamored with the “vaguely round but full of holes” hanging light fixtures recently. We’ve seen variations not just here, but in the EPCOT guest relations remodel and the GotG queue - there are probably more. Such fixtures are often the only nod to some sort of vague theming in otherwise generic spaces.

MrPromey

Yup, that's a digital billboard all right.
Saw it in person about 20 minutes ago - you couldn’t be more right. It’s nothing less and nothing more… and surprisingly on the road it’s actually on, not that hard to miss if you aren’t looking up in daylight.*

*I get that the view isn’t meant for the street level folks directly on that road.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Looks... tiny.

I expected more.. stuff. Looks like a spend 5 minutes to check it out and never come back location. Not like the old disney stores.

I think for the 50th they should have found a circa 70s office building and completely rebuilt vibe and the inside of the original preview center down to the 70s color scheme and flooring, and then had a massive gift shop selling the retro merchandise. Had characters there and models of the parks. You could have still had an area to sell dvc, theme park tickets, and vacation packages.

Retro is in, and they should have embraced the 50th history.

They could have made this a destination. Add in photo spots and there would have been lines of people just wanting to buy the merch and take pics for..... free advertising...

1654026045563.png

WDWJoeG

I expected more.. stuff. Looks like a spend 5 minutes to check it out and never come back location. Not like the old disney stores.

I think for the 50th they should have found a circa 70s office building and completely rebuilt vibe and the inside of the original preview center down to the 70s color scheme and flooring, and then had a massive gift shop selling the retro merchandise. Had characters there and models of the parks. You could have still had an area to sell dvc, theme park tickets, and vacation packages.

Retro is in, and they should have embraced the 50th history.

They could have made this a destination. Add in photo spots and there would have been lines of people just wanting to buy the merch and take pics for..... free advertising...

View attachment 642503

Aaaaah....1971. When Casting hired people who took pride in their personal appearance.

As somebody who lived through it, it was a much better time.

Last edited:

techgeek

So this wavy digital billboard is basically used to show static images and some sparkly pixie dust?
Why did I envision this as having imagery and art that utilizes the shape and curvature?

I agree the end result seems underwhelming for the canvas. But they may have to stick with mostly static images.

They are also probably pushing at the limit in terms of what can with content - I know there’s state laws that prevent motion video and graphics from being used on digital billboards, and guidelines that have to be followed regarding how fast visuals can change so it doesn’t present a distraction to drivers. The ‘pixie dust’ animation already might be threading the needle on that.

MrPromey

I agree the end result seems underwhelming for the canvas. But they may have to stick with mostly static images.

They are also probably pushing at the limit in terms of what can with content - I know there’s state laws that prevent motion video and graphics from being used on digital billboards, and guidelines that have to be followed regarding how fast visuals can change so it doesn’t present a distraction to drivers. The ‘pixie dust’ animation already might be threading the needle on that.

If true, this immediately brings to mind the question of why.

In person (again on the road it’s on and not I-4) it looks bolted on and out of place on the building and also pointless.

View attachment 565177

"Disney is seeking Orange County approvals to build a gargantuan, ribbon-like art display at 8050 International Drive on the Hollywood Plaza garage, Orange County records show. The entertainment giant is partnering with Japan-based Mitsubishi to install and maintain the dynamic art, which will face Orlando's main artery Interstate 4 and look north toward downtown.

Winter Park-based Acomb Ostendorf & Associates is the project applicant, and the parking garage owner is Hollywood Plaza Garage Realty — an entity tied to Orlando businessman Josh Wallack, who is the COO of nearby nightclub Mango's Tropical Cafe.

Representatives with Disney, AOA and Mitsubishi weren't available for comment. Wallack declined to comment."

"OBJ has learned construction is expected to last less than a year with the art installation turning on sometime in 2022. In addition, OBJ also has learned Disney will occupy some retail space in the bottom floor of Hollywood Plaza.

Orange County records show the application for the dynamic art installation was approved June 16, which allows the applicant to seek building permits. Orange County Senior Public Information Officer Despina McLaughlin told OBJ the "graphical renderings in the linked application package are 'conceptual only' and not necessarily reflective of the eventual digitally displayed 'art work.' "

"Renderings show the display featuring Disney World's Slinky Dog Dash roller coaster in Hollywood Studios with the words "Toy Story Land" and picture of a Little Green Man, one of the characters in Disney's "Toy Story" movie franchise.

The display will weigh in at 114,671 pounds, which is roughly equivalent to nine African bush elephants. The dynamic art will be about 30 feet high at its tallest point and 337 feet long, which is more than a football field.

The art installation will have major exposure for Disney, as more than 200,000 cars pass daily along Interstate 4. Meanwhile, International Drive's hotels, nightlife, entertainment, restaurants and more attract 15 million visitors annually, according to IDriveDistrict.com. That's important as this art display may act as a magnet to bring more guests to the Walt Disney World resort."

Does anyone else notice that Disney wastes more money like this that no one cares about and refuse to fix broken things in the parks? Did we really need another World of Disney store?? I'm sure we have all been on Spaceship Earth lately and it is an embarrassment...cars move slowly, audio & lighting is off, AC doesn't work properly and the camera affect still doesn't work. Same with Living with the Land, last time I was on that attraction i wanted to get out of the boat and push. Maybe they should give all the guest oars to help row the boat faster. Such a bad time for Disney World right now. Hopefully it ends soon

Last edited by a moderator:

Anteater

Does anyone else notice that Disney wastes more money like this that no one cares about and refuse to fix broken things in the parks? Did we really need another World of Disney store?? I'm sure we have all been on Spaceship Earth lately and it is an embarrassment...cars move slowly, audio & lighting is off, AC doesn't work properly and the camera affect still doesn't work. Same with Living with the Land, last time I was on that attraction i wanted to get out of the boat and push. Maybe they should give all the guest oars to help row the boat faster. Such a bad time for Disney World right now. Hopefully it ends soon
I dunno. People are still coming in droves. I almost they they'd pack the parks if they turned everything off and let people experience it that way. Waht can they do to make the average guest say, "Enough is Enough"? They've been pushing that tipping point for more than 5 years now. Crowds have just gotten bigger.

Disstevefan1

Who knows how this came to be. Are there insiders granting construction jobs to their family members?
Has the Disney bean counters (who actually run the company) has calculated that this glorified billboard/gift shop is good use of money?
Is it a write off disguised as a glorified billboard/gift shop?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom