News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

mysto

It’s about resetting investor expectations and focus… not achieving immediate results
Yes! The P/E is still high, and the 60B comes out of the E. This announcement will make the co more valuable in 5-10 years, just not right now.

Has nothing to do with leadership, value for the customer, nickel and diming. I know we all want the parks fixed but that's different than pumping up the stock price. Hopefully they will al least use the 60B to improve uptime and capacity, but the stock price short term reaction is not about that.

ToTBellHop

Yeah - and Marvels 2 is going to be another slap in the face. Good luck even breaking even on that $300 million mistake.
These Marvel projects are way too expensive. It’s one thing when it’s a superhero tour-de-force like Endgame, but every random project shouldn’t cost $500 million with marketing.

Even outside Marvel, Wish looks good but will likely cost $400m with marketing. That makes it hard to turn too much profit. We saw this with Elemental and The Little Mermaid this year.

Indy_UK

These Marvel projects are way too expensive. It’s one thing when it’s a superhero tour-de-force like Endgame, but every random project shouldn’t cost $500 million with marketing.

Even outside Marvel, Wish looks good but will likely cost $400m with marketing. That makes it hard to turn too much profit.

Ive said it 100 times by now but who at Disney thinks these sort of budgets is acceptable?

Iger is only going to throw the creators under the bus for the losses because he came back as the white knight and gave the creators the power back of the movies they were creating which Chapek wouldn't allow.

Basil of Baker Street

A random aside… I was thinking recently that from a management perspective, the Epcot Festivals have to be the ultimate win, right? For festival goers, you have people paying the price of theme park admission in order to literally walk around buying merch and food for 80% of the time that they’re there. More money spent, no worries about the upkeep and running of costly rides… that has to be living the dream for investors. I’m wondering if recreating that in some way shape or form in other parks will eventually be on the table, especially if this investing in the parks initiative actually happens.
If its done right, why not. I rather enjoy strolling through EPCOT during F&G or F&W. And it makes a trip less stressful. However, I don't think any of the other parks are setup for it.

DisneyHead123

If its done right, why not. I rather enjoy strolling through EPCOT during F&G or F&W. And it makes a trip less stressful. However, I don't think any of the other parks are setup for it.
Festivals, no, but I do wonder if there will be a bigger push for non-ride entertainment geared towards adults. That would seem to be a win for everyone as it makes money for the parks and creates people-eaters for those who like rides and want shorter waits.

Ripken10

Even outside Marvel, Wish looks good but will likely cost $400m with marketing. That makes it hard to turn too much profit. We saw this with Elemental and The Little Mermaid this year.
Just a reminder that disney includes producer's salaries in their production budgets which other studios do not. They already confirmed that Elemental has made a profit, but those that try to use these hard formulas to determine if a movie made a profit don't understand why. The two biggest reasons is disney including things like producers salaries, and disney getting a larger share of theater profit then other studios.

ToTBellHop

Just a reminder that disney includes producer's salaries in their production budgets which other studios do not. They already confirmed that Elemental has made a profit, but those that try to use these hard formulas to determine if a movie made a profit don't understand why. The two biggest reasons is disney including things like producers salaries, and disney getting a larger share of theater profit then other studios.
Yes, both Elemental and The Little Mermaid made money but not at the level Disney expected. They got accustomed to all those $1 billion earners pre-pandemic.

Tha Realest

Do you have a source for this information?

Drdcm

I heard there was a mix up with the dreamers point statue…

They wanted it to be solid gold, but it had to be “premium gold” so they purchased some gold mines and refineries to ensure the quality under the shell company Walt D Mining Co. Unfortunately, the imagineers were allowed to run a bit wild and they didn’t consider the weight of a solid gold statue - they were real Indy fans…

The newly created central plaza just couldn’t handle it, so they had to recast the statue in a hollow aluminum and paint it to match the desired color. This added an additional $24,000.

According to my trusted sources, they only have $22 billion remaining due to the mix up. Because the gold, mines, and refineries, they spent an exorbitant $38 billion dollars on the life size statue of Walt.

In order to make the most of it, they decided to take a tax write off and have dumped it in the now defunct River Country ruins. The gold could not be resold because they infused it with a toxic polymer designed to intermittent interact with the new magic band + for an extra fee - rendering it useless.

Ripken10

Do you have a source for this information?
Pixar's president Jim Morris back in August when asked if Elemental will be profitable.

"We have a lot of different revenue streams, but at the box office we’re looking at now, it should do better than break even theatrically. And then we have revenue from streaming, theme parks and consumer products. This will certainly be a profitable film for the Disney company."

Tha Realest

Pixar's president Jim Morris back in August when asked if Elemental will be profitable.

"We have a lot of different revenue streams, but at the box office we’re looking at now, it should do better than break even theatrically. And then we have revenue from streaming, theme parks and consumer products. This will certainly be a profitable film for the Disney company."
I have little reason to doubt Elemental worked its way to profitability. But the idea that Disney is the lone studio that eschews “Hollywood accounting” is a new one, and belied by this lawsuit from one of its producing partners:

Ripken10

I have little reason to doubt Elemental worked its way to profitability. But the idea that Disney is the lone studio that eschews “Hollywood accounting” is a new one, and belied by this lawsuit from one of its producing partners:

Later in the same interview Jim Morris talked about the very fact that they include produer's salaries in the production budgets while other studios do not.

LSLS

Later in the same interview Jim Morris talked about the very fact that they include produer's salaries in the production budgets while other studios do not.
He doesn't say that producers aren't in it, he says they have to include all executives in their budgets since that is all their company does, and that sometimes others don't do that (note sometimes, not that they are the only ones). That also doesn't mean that the Little Mermaid has the same things going on, he's talking specifically about Pixar.

"The other thing I’ll say about our film budgets is that our whole company exists only to make these films. So when we say a budget, that is everything it takes to run the whole company. Sometimes, the budgets [for other films] that get reported are physical production costs and don’t include the salaries of executives and things like that. Our budgets include all of that, so there’s some accounting context that gets lost. But that doesn’t mean they’re not expensive."

And I'd be fascinated to know how much that extra overhead actually adds to a budget.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Can anyone comment (maybe I missed it already?) on if "maintenance capex" is included in this $60B? Saw some posts about things like bus fleet maintenance counting towards that $60B. But I've been reading so many comments in various places that it's all kind of a jumbled mess right now. And I always come back here to get the straight story.

ToTBellHop

Does anyone still think Disney is discounting/ignoring EU?
They have some fabulous passholder magnets set for 2025. Gorgeous designs.

1695917248203.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom