News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

capsshield

It's easy to think nothings going to happen but I think that they are saying that there will be more projects in some phase of development towards the end of decade than beginning.
For instance in the animal kingdom they may do a retheme of the dinosaur ride. 18 months go by, then retheme the spinner 12 months pass, then start excavation of the area to develop a couple of bigger attractions shops and restaurants over the next 3 to 4 years. a 6 to 7 year project, but minimum crowd impact. Halfway through there is another project that begins maybe a pandora expansion and you get an overlap of cost towards the back end of the decade. Each park probably has some kind of strategy similar to this

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
True. But the bigger question is how does the downturn in attendance factor in if it doesn't improve? Do they start significant investment in WDW because the attendance is down and they want to get it back up, or do they transition a lot of this money to other parks?

It's hard to say. Previously they would have scaled back if revenue projections drop... but if they have attendance drops that coincide with EU opening then that might send things a different way. Plus it all depends on the whether we hit a recession in short order or squeeze through. I am more of a pixie duster so I see the glass half full here.

More to your point I don't think the money goes to other parks. I think they either spend what they planned in Orlando or they simply cut back.

Domestic parks made more net profit this quarter than last quarter. And more profit than last year's 4Q.

If WDW was down, that mean DLR made up the difference.

So, WDW couldn't have gone down that much. It's not like they're scraping by. Domestic parks net profited $0.8B in one quarter alone. And that's twice as much as all the international parks.

So, money isn't going to go away from WDW. They want that profit driver to be operating full bore. We'll see way 2024's "free dining" can do to goose attendance, as well as the throttling back of reservations.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So... again...

$60B in 10 years is $6B a year.

In the quarterly call, Bob said they're increasing next year's capex on Experiences up to $6B.

So... that "backloading of capex" toward the end of the next decade actually isn't happening if they're going to spend $6B in the next fiscal year.

1699558298849.png

Haymarket

So... again...

$60B in 10 years is $6B a year.

In the quarterly call, Bob said they're increasing next year's capex on Experiences up to $6B.

So... that "backloading of capex" toward the end of the next decade actually isn't happening if they're going to spend $6B in the next fiscal year.

View attachment 753434

I'm not sure what Iger said, but I think that $6 billion for FY24 is total capital expenditures.

They're saying they're going to spend around $4.1 billion on Experiences (resorts, parks, ships, etc.) which is what they spent in FY19 (third bullet point).

They're spending $1 billion more than FY23 ($5 billion), and that extra billion is going to go to the parks (second bullet point). They spent $3 billion on Experiences FY23, so that means $4 billion on Experiences in FY24 ($4.1 billion-ish, since they referred to FY19).

LSLS

Domestic parks made more net profit this quarter than last quarter. And more profit than last year's 4Q.

If WDW was down, that mean DLR made up the difference.

So, WDW couldn't have gone down that much. It's not like they're scraping by. Domestic parks net profited $0.8B in one quarter alone. And that's twice as much as all the international parks.

So, money isn't going to go away from WDW. They want that profit driver to be operating full bore. We'll see way 2024's "free dining" can do to goose attendance, as well as the throttling back of reservations.
That includes DCL, doesn't it? And a new DVC at Disneyland? Their results straight said there was a decrease at WDW. Admittedly didn't hear the call so the bullet points don't really make a ton of sense to me, but it definitely says "A decrease at Walt Disney World Resort." So much is wrapped up in Parks and Experiences at this point, it's tough to distinguish for me at least.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That includes DCL, doesn't it? And a new DVC at Disneyland? Their results straight said there was a decrease at WDW. Admittedly didn't hear the call so the bullet points don't really make a ton of sense to me, but it definitely says "A decrease at Walt Disney World Resort." So much is wrapped up in Parks and Experiences at this point, it's tough to distinguish for me at least.
Yeah. WDW is only getting $17B of that $60B.

And that $17B is not just for brand new rides. Refreshes, rethemes, replacements, hotels, big infrastructure, etc... are also in the mix.

Advisable Joseph

Yeah. WDW is only getting $17B of that $60B.
Where did you read or hear that?
Since the $17 billion for WDW was reported well before the legal documents declaring a strategy change to spend $60 billion on experiences, WDW may be getting more.

And as we've seen in the last few posts, there will be plenty of spending on Experiences, even from right now. Iger meant that there would be a further increase in five years to get a total $60 billion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Where did you read or hear that?
Since the $17 billion for WDW was reported well before the legal documents declaring a strategy change to spend $60 billion on experiences, WDW may be getting more.

And as we've seen in the last few posts, there will be plenty of spending on Experiences, even from right now. Iger meant that there would be a further increase in five years to get a total $60 billion.
That $60 billion figure is the total they currently plan to spend worldwide over the next 10 years.

The Walt Disney Company is developing plans to accelerate and expand investment in its Parks, Experiences and Products segment to nearly double capital expenditures over the course of approximately 10 years to roughly $60 billion, including by investing in expanding and enhancing domestic and international parks and cruise line capacity.

Advisable Joseph

I sense miscommunication here, since we seem to be in violent agreement.
That $60 billion figure is the total they currently plan to spend worldwide over the next 10 years.

Yes.
It looks like around $4 billion a year now.
I'm not sure what Iger said, but I think that $6 billion for FY24 is total capital expenditures.

They're saying they're going to spend around $4.1 billion on Experiences (resorts, parks, ships, etc.) which is what they spent in FY19 (third bullet point).

They're spending $1 billion more than FY23 ($5 billion), and that extra billion is going to go to the parks (second bullet point). They spent $3 billion on Experiences FY23, so that means $4 billion on Experiences in FY24 ($4.1 billion-ish, since they referred to FY19).

In five years, that will ramp up, to give around $60 billion total for the ten year period.

I'm saying I think the $17 billion for WDW came from the $4 billion a year spending, over ten years.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I sense miscommunication here, since we seem to be in violent agreement.

Yes.
It looks like around $4 billion a year now.

In five years, that will ramp up, to give around $60 billion total for the ten year period.

I'm saying I think the $17 billion for WDW came from the $4 billion a year spending, over ten years.

There isn’t going to be $60 billion spent on WDW over the next 10 years. I’ll just leave it at that.

doctornick

There isn’t going to be $60 billion spent on WDW over the next 10 years. I’ll just leave it at that.
Nobody is saying there is…🤔

The $60B is the spend for the whole segment which includes the parks and cruise line (and consumer products). WDW will only get a fraction of that of course - they’ve said $17B before and tgat was prior to the splashy $60B announcement that was touted as an increase in investment.

$17B over a decade would still be a massive amount of CapEx for WDW.

ToTBellHop

Nobody is saying there is…🤔

The $60B is the spend for the whole segment which includes the parks and cruise line (and consumer products). WDW will only get a fraction of that of course - they’ve said $17B before and tgat was prior to the splashy $60B announcement that was touted as an increase in investment.

$17B over a decade would still be a massive amount of CapEx for WDW.
We are talking a DVC tower at all three All-Stars!

I can’t wait for The Villas at Disney All-Star Movies Resort
1699584254670.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom