News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Moth

Back in April, Iger said that Disney is planning $17 billion worth of investments in Walt Disney World over the next 10 years.

Was he lying, or has "plans" changed?

It's Iger and his relationship with WDW. Plans definitely changed lol. He obviously has no interest in WDW until Universal bends the knee and gives up Marvel.

MrPromey

... Marvel rights I still believe Disney are going to try and get back as part of the Hulu talks and the right side of the park will become it's own Avengers Campus.
What about the negotiated sale in the stake that Disney is obligated to buy, do you think would make Universal's use of Marvel properties in a Florida theme park part of that same discussion?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm agreeing with your overall assessment of this announcement: it's good news for the parks, even with inflation.

That said, $1 today is worth more than double the value of $1 in 20 years at 4% inflation (it'd be $0.46).

I had to do this in a spreadsheet because compounding values is really hard to wrap my head around.
You can't start from Year 0 and then discount over 20 years to get to Year 20. That would imply that every dollar in the last decade was spent in 2013 and every dollar in the next decade will be spent in 2033.

Do the same thing you did, but instead of 20 periods at 4%, do 10 periods at 2%.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If historical trends hold and $60 billion is the real number, I would expect something like:
  • $20 billion World
  • $10 billion Land + "Other Domestic"
  • $10 billion Cruise
  • $20 billion International
But they would have to be super aggressive to get anywhere near that International number, so I would expect this to skew more towards World than the round numbers I chose here.

I found the point that the presentation made sure to include the global references... in both of their scale and options to expand to be very deliberate. I don't think they included global sites to just inflate their claims of what they had.

Obviously that is where Disney's inside data on their product and consumers stomps everything we know from the outside... but makes you wonder where they really see the investment opportunities. Is DLP finally ready to be something bigger?

lentesta

Premium Member
You can't start from Year 0 and then discount over 20 years to get to Year 20. That would imply that every dollar in the last decade was spent in 2013 and every dollar in the next decade will be spent in 2033.

Do the same thing you did, but instead of 20 periods at 4%, do 10 periods at 2%.

Yeah, you're right. My point was that inflation has to be accounted for.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, you're right. My point was that inflation has to be accounted for.
yeah but when outlining a vision (not a specific budget) over a long period of time, you don't inflation adjust your totals. They are framing these plans in today's money... and will adjust in tomorrows money, tomorrow, using tomorrow dollars and rates.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1695245438105.png

1695245472600.png

TheMaxRebo

We can quibble about exact numbers but seems clear that this is an increased version what they spent the past 10 years, but likely less than double, especially when factoring inflation. Whether it is 40% more or 50% more, who knows

So bigger question is how we feel about them doing in the next 10 years 140% of what the last 10 years brought

hopemax

Since Iger's typical MO is acquisitions, any chance this money is intended to be used that way? The old rumors of acquiring a toy company for "Products." Especially, with Barbie being the box office winner this summer. Or some regional entertainment operation? Bringing back the Disney Store in some fashion?

Trying to think outside of the DCL / Resort box since it's Parks, Experiences and Products.

No Name

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned much is the rate of theme park inflation, which has outpaced regular inflation.

Everest was built for $100 million. What would that cost them today? Not that they’d ever build a generic coaster themed to India or whatever, but I’m going to guess at least $300 million, probably more like $400 million. That’s more than double regular inflation!

At this rate, 60 billion will do far less than it should.

UNCgolf

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned much is the rate of theme park inflation, which has outpaced regular inflation.

Everest was built for $100 million. What would that cost them today? Not that they’d ever build a generic coaster themed to India or whatever, but I’m going to guess at least $300 million, probably more like $400 million. That’s more than double regular inflation!

At this rate, 60 billion will do far less than it should.

If the Cosmic Rewind $500m price tag is correct, then yeah...

Expedition Everest has a much better queue than Cosmic Rewind, and certainly a better facade. The on-ride experience is subjective -- I think Everest is clearly better from a themed perspective, but I assume the physical sensation goes to CR -- but I don't think you'd find many people that think CR is worth 5x as much as Everest even if they like CR more.

That's admittedly an overly simplistic way to look at it, but it illustrates the general point. If Disney's costs keep spiraling the way they are, who knows how much they can actually build with that money.

That said, it's still good news. They've announced plans to invest a large sum of money into the parks. That's what everyone wants.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom