Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

Animaniac93-98

Travel not "frozen" and no definition of "essential". Use of "should" implies a suggestion:

"Chapek also told executives business travel should be limited to essential trips only. Meetings should be conducted virtually as much as possible, he wrote in the memo."

Did he also suggest reusing disposable coffee cups more than once?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Sure, but make the announcement after the holidays for the sake of those who will be laid off.
Where has Disney actually 'announced' anything? All I was aware of is someone leaking an internal communication to begin the process of looking for options. After the earnings statement for last quarter, Wall Street Investors are expecting them to do the responsible thing and look for cost-saving opportunities throughout the entire company; if they were not doing that they would get clobbered by Wall Street.

flynnibus

Premium Member
On one of the Imagineering story episodes Bob Weiss (iirc) said he never understood why they always do layoffs right before Christmas.

Seems to be a pattern for Disney.
Because Disney is on a fiscal, not CY calendar so the fiscal calendar is until Oct and the earnings come out weeks afterwards. This combined with notification requirements.. you get the picture.

Incomudro

It’s awful. I love those old films. Every single classic Hollywood studio film could be streaming right now at little to no cost to the companies that own them. The fundamental logic of streaming - that you flood the zone with content - dictates that they should be, even if the only viewers are a relatively small number of nerds like me. But they aren’t there. And with the death of physical media that streaming has brought about, that means those classics are becoming completely unattainable, disappearing into the void. Streaming, a development that should have made every film still extant instantaneously accessible, instead threatens to make 90% of Hollywood’s historic output disappear forever for no other reason then because executives and investors have no clear idea of what a streaming future looks like but are wildly arrogant, short-sighted, and trapped in an echo chamber that justifies and amplifies their worst impulses.
Hang on to your DVD's!
That's no joke.

solidyne

Was that really necessary?
No post ever is really necessary, as this is an inconsequential discussion board, but the degree to which some people wish to police thought is a little surprising, so much so that it did seem to deserve comment.

How's this:

It is possible to believe concurrently:

(1) that Disney's efforts at inclusivity are positive and laudable

(2) that those efforts are hurting the bottom line

I am not suggesting the poster was this nuanced, but it's possible that others are. It's also possible to like a post without agreeing with every explicit or implicit meaning.

Imagine digging through posts to see who liked them appropriately, who put a mad face, etc., as if to be sifting members into "good" and "bad."

[ETA: Looks like it indeed wasn't necessary, as it has been deleted. And swiftly! To the mods' credit, it seems the posts I quoted were deleted as well.]

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

It's also possible to like a post without agreeing with every explicit or implicit meaning.

Especially with long posts, I agreed with about 75% of the post in question and nearly liked it but chose not to simply because it was controversial and I knew people would be upset by it.

It’s also very easy to accidentally like a post while scrolling on your phone/iPad so people forming opinions based on 1 like, especially if it’s opposite the persons normal views, are bound to make some wrong perceptions.

Ayla

No post ever is really necessary, as this is an inconsequential discussion board, but the degree to which some people wish to police thought is a little surprising, so much so that it did seem to deserve comment.

How's this:

It is possible to believe concurrently:

(1) that Disney's efforts at inclusivity are positive and laudable

(2) that those efforts are hurting the bottom line

I am not suggesting the poster was this nuanced, but it's possible that others are. It's also possible to like a post without agreeing with every explicit or implicit meaning.

Imagine digging through posts to see who liked them appropriately, who put a mad face, etc., as if to be sifting members into "good" and "bad."

[ETA: Looks like it indeed wasn't necessary, as it has been deleted. And swiftly! To the mods' credit, it seems the posts I quoted were deleted as well.]
There is no digging involved. It's literally visible to anyone underneath the post.

Indy_UK

Considering the struggle they’ve had in recruiting front line cast members the last year or so, I’m surprised to hear they are now looking at cutting them back again

tommyhawkins

So sad.

How do they lay off when they're still struggling to get to staffing levels that are appropriate?
because its marketing and content job cuts, the concerns from wall street relate to DMED, they want a path to profitability with streamers. they have grown tired of the Netflix model of throwing money at content in the hope it lands subscribers and yet still increasing churn. It's a curious situation because Disney are well on the path to their revised subs by 2040 which was 230-270m, the original business model when they acquired 21CF planned for 90m subs by 2024, they seem to have a plan, they told investors what they would be spending per year ($9bn on D+) on content on the investor, yet the reaction seems a little OTT that theyre not making more profit sooner, to me its coming across as Wall Street being skittish as they are talking the entire market into doom and gloom, yet consumption is hardly waining since pandemic. considering Disney got $13BN more revenue than 2019 it is very very strange from the outside looking in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom