Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

Casper Gutman

In all fairness they've managed that merger far better than how Discovery has handled the WB merger thus far, and unlike Discovery the debt doesn't quite loom that large given Disney is a far bigger company and have been slowly paying the debt up.
This is a pretty darn low bar - the WB merger will be taught in business schools as what never ever, for the love of all that’s holy, NEVER EVER do. That’s the same chapter that will discuss whatever Elon thinks he’s doing with Twitter.

wutisgood

I'm just asking myself what Fox properties Disney is heavily leaning into. I guess avatar 2 is coming out soon. It seems like a lot of Investment since has gone to Marvel, Star Wars, and existing disney properties anyway. They didn't need Fox for that. It sure seems like they could have just outexpanded Fox and crushed their share prices to buy them for cheaper eventually and come out ahead. They weren't even allowed to actually buy all of Fox.

Also that money could have been used towards a 5th park in Orlando. Universal is happy to accept the guests that Disney is turning away by expanding themselves. Disney is addicted to raising prices and would shed market share to keep doing so. It's not sustainable especially given a recession.

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
The Board went along with the foolish decision to acquire Fox.
I'm just asking myself what Fox properties Disney is heavily leaning into. I guess avatar 2 is coming out soon. It seems like a lot of Investment since has gone to Marvel, Star Wars, and existing disney properties anyway. They didn't need Fox for that. It sure seems like they could have just outexpanded Fox and crushed their share prices to buy them for cheaper eventually and come out ahead. They weren't even allowed to actually buy all of Fox.
Disney oughta backtrack on their decision now, with these cuts happening, in order to save themselves.😏

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Also that money could have been used towards a 5th park in Orlando. Universal is happy to accept the guests that Disney is turning away by expanding themselves. Disney is addicted to raising prices and would shed market share to keep doing so. It's not sustainable especially given a recession.
At the end of the day…Iger got into a Hollywood ego peeing contest with Roberts…

And Comcast won

kingdead

The board is the reason this is happening. They enthusiastically renewed his contract not out of fear of what he would do, but because they support and direct what he's doing.

And, unpopular opinion here, I don't blame them for it; Bob Iger largely set Disney up for this mess thinking Netflix was going to overtake them in size and market power. Now that such fears look misguided, traditional media is trying to fix the self-inflicted financial damage they caused while their bread-and-butter television and film assets continue to face structural decline, and that will make mass media a more uninhabitable, miserable industry to work for. Iger would've very likely been fired had he not retired.
Iger got insanely lucky reputation wise--he got out right in time, didn't he? And Chapek is so personally unappealing that he's extremely easy to blame for the whole thing. That's the power of full Blue Ocean thinking or whatever that was...

Tha Realest

Iger got insanely lucky reputation wise--he got out right in time, didn't he? And Chapek is so personally unappealing that he's extremely easy to blame for the whole thing. That's the power of full Blue Ocean thinking or whatever that was...
His reputation for brilliance is really undeserved. Look no further than his dalliances since leaving Disney - he was getting into that sweet, huge upside NFT space.

Lilofan

Iger tried leaving a few times but the Board convinced him to stay. A number of companies are laying off staff, Disney is one of them.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

The logic of Hollywood’s streaming-mania was that you needed huge amounts of content to flood your streaming service. Beyond quite a small number of animated classics, Disney didn’t have a substantial back catalog of classic cinema from before the 80s to pad their streaming service. So they bought one. That’s why Fox’s huge body of classic cinema is all available on Disney streaming services.

Except it’s not.

They seem to have forgotten a huge part of the “logic” of buying Fox as soon as they did it.

I’m very excited to see MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four, but I can’t help feeling there was a cheaper way to do that. Maybe Disney just really didn’t want Universal to be able to use Predator or Alien at HHN again?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
1qrezd2jjol41.jpg

Tha Realest

Iger tried leaving a few times but the Board convinced him to stay. A number of companies are laying off staff, Disney is one of them.
He tried leaving so many times that he backstabbed any potential successors so the Board was left with no other option than to renew his contract
The logic of Hollywood’s streaming-mania was that you needed huge amounts of content to flood your streaming service. Beyond quite a small number of animated classics, Disney didn’t have a substantial back catalog of classic cinema from before the 80s to pad their streaming service. So they bought one. That’s why Fox’s huge body of classic cinema is all available on Disney streaming services.

Except it’s not.

They seem to have forgotten a huge part of the “logic” of buying Fox as soon as they did it.

I’m very excited to see MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four, but I can’t help feeling there was a cheaper way to do that. Maybe Disney just really didn’t want Universal to be able to use Predator or Alien at HHN again?
its really an interesting thing to watch. Other than sitcoms, I feel that “older” movies or TV shows aren’t really a premium for these services. The oldest moves on Netflix are, what, mid to late 70’s productions? HBO Max has them due to TCM hub, and you get a few Universal Monsters ones on Peacock, but I don’t feel that old catalogue titles are what these streamers want.

castlecake2.0

Don't be surprised if some of your operational managers and support staff are no longer there.I've survived layoffs in companies I've worked. Every division gets impacted in the restructuring.
I was here in 2008 and that’s definitely who suffered then, currently we are still very short across the board here, I think most of this “nimbleness” he keeps referring to will be corporate and DTC. Parks don’t really have much left to cut.

Casper Gutman

He tried leaving so many times that he backstabbed any potential successors so the Board was left with no other option than to renew his contract

its really an interesting thing to watch. Other than sitcoms, I feel that “older” movies or TV shows aren’t really a premium for these services. The oldest moves on Netflix are, what, mid to late 70’s productions? HBO Max has them due to TCM hub, and you get a few Universal Monsters ones on Peacock, but I don’t feel that old catalogue titles are what these streamers want.
It’s awful. I love those old films. Every single classic Hollywood studio film could be streaming right now at little to no cost to the companies that own them. The fundamental logic of streaming - that you flood the zone with content - dictates that they should be, even if the only viewers are a relatively small number of nerds like me. But they aren’t there. And with the death of physical media that streaming has brought about, that means those classics are becoming completely unattainable, disappearing into the void. Streaming, a development that should have made every film still extant instantaneously accessible, instead threatens to make 90% of Hollywood’s historic output disappear forever for no other reason then because executives and investors have no clear idea of what a streaming future looks like but are wildly arrogant, short-sighted, and trapped in an echo chamber that justifies and amplifies their worst impulses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom