Disney planning a new Western Beltway Property

mkepcotmgmak

i haven't read through all of the replies - but my main question is - would this be a contract deal with third parties, or mostly Disney? I realize that the grocery store would probably be a name store (not disney) but what about the hotels? are we talking actual motel 6/super 8/comfort suites - or are we talking a disney version of these - with less themeing or something?

restaurants... TGIFridays - or a disney rest. with a cheaper menu?

jasondiff

If this turns out to be a themeless hotel at a price point less than the all-stars, then the benefit will be that you can stay on Disney property (and have all the benefits associated with it, DME, EMH, etc) at the price of an off-property 192 motel.
If these hotels don't offer the benefits, then how is this any different than Disney owning cheap hotels on 192? (Other than controlling how cheap they look.) The hotel market is already soft, if it wasn't then they'd finish Pop. If there is a market for an ultra-cheap Disney hotel with a price point between the Values and off-site, then I guess this is what Disney is trying to capture.

Two issues I see:
First, the more people eligible for EMH will lessen the value of EMH to everyone. Also, as someone mentioned, the traffic Buena Vista Drive in that area could be a nightmare.

MickeyTigg

I think they should finish Pop century before they build another hotel,so people don't have to look at that unfinished mess all the time.

The "time-share" angle of this I'm assuming is DVC.

The only thing that really concerns me regarding this in relation to DVC/Hotels is location....it's pretty far away from everything. Who would really want to stay over there?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The "time-share" angle of this I'm assuming is DVC.

The only thing that really concerns me regarding this in relation to DVC/Hotels is location....it's pretty far away from everything. Who would really want to stay over there?

I wouldnt be sure that it is DVC. The information I was given from the "horses-mouth" just indicated Timeshare, no mention of DVC.

New2WDW

First, the more people eligible for EMH will lessen the value of EMH to everyone.

I agree with this statement because this is already an issue in my opinion without any new hotels. EMH means stay away from this park after what I saw back in October!:eek:

Brian Noble

I could imagine something like DVC-lite---possibly with a separate points system.

While DVC is wildly successful, the other area timeshare companies are still selling units as well at lower price points. And, if there is one thing the Mouse can't stand, it is someone else profiting on their proximity to the Mouse.

PhotoDave219

First of all, its "WESTERN WAY" Not Western Beltway.:hammer:

State Road 429 is referred to as the "Western Beltway." Eventually it will connect I-4 with.... I-4. However, at the moment It connects US 441 in Apopka with US 192 in Four Corners, with the final stretch to i-4 on the south end set to open before the end of the year. 429 is proposed to continue north and east through Apopka and briefly into Lake County before hitting i-4 again in Seminole or Volusia Counties. Anyhow, It actually goes through some Disney property before Hartzog Road / Western Way interchange.

GymLeaderPhil

Goodings, as a chain, is essentially long gone. Winn Dixie and Sweetbay(Kash N Karry) are not too far behind them. Albertsons and Food Lion are pretty stagnant here since their base is up north. Publix is really the only leader in supermarkets for Florida, that is if you don't count the Super Wal-Marts and Targets.

I don't see Disney outsourcing the proposed grocery store to anyone honestly.

goofntink

I wouldnt be sure that it is DVC. The information I was given from the "horses-mouth" just indicated Timeshare, no mention of DVC.

Where is everyone getting DVC? Steve NEVER mentioned DVC! Think Marriot Vacation Club for timeshares,and 3rd party hotels and timeshares. EX. Hilton,Radisson Resorts.:mad:

goofntink

Goodings, as a chain, is essentially long gone. Winn Dixie and Sweetbay(Kash N Karry) are not too far behind them. Albertsons and Food Lion are pretty stagnant here since their base is up north. Publix is really the only leader in supermarkets for Florida, that is if you don't count the Super Wal-Marts and Targets.

I don't see Disney outsourcing the proposed grocery store to anyone honestly.

Actually I do see them using Publix for the grocery store. Basically think of the new Towne Center off 46A and I-4 by you and me in Lake Mary on the Westbound side of I-4. That is the same basic idea of the development.:D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Kind of makes you wonder what might be `over there` in a decade...

neuromantic

Could this be the long talked about DTD2?

:eek: I would love to see an alternate Disney entrance area! What is outside of the Disney owned land on that side? Is it all open land or is it residential or something? I am hoping that Diz swaps up any remaining open land on that side so that they can avoid having it all become overdeveloped and hectic like the area on 192 and the Crossroads area have become.

:sohappy: Here is a map of the new
area. Like they say, sometimes
a picture is worth a thousand words. :eek:
:sohappy: http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6656/disneyswesternwayrq1.jpg

cloudboy

Kind of makes you wonder what might be `over there` in a decade...

That's what I am thinking. I can't for the life of me figure out why Disney would WANT to enocurage development on that side, but perhaps this is what they think is a chance to get in at the ground level on that kind of development.

Perhaps we are thinking a little too big on this - again I am picturing another Crossroads. Disney sold Crossroads, right? I wonder if this was a pretty profitable thing for them, and prehaps they see this as a way to make a few extra bucks.

MythBuster

That's what I am thinking. I can't for the life of me figure out why Disney would WANT to enocurage development on that side, but perhaps this is what they think is a chance to get in at the ground level on that kind of development.

Perhaps we are thinking a little too big on this - again I am picturing another Crossroads. Disney sold Crossroads, right? I wonder if this was a pretty profitable thing for them, and prehaps they see this as a way to make a few extra bucks.

Or maybe they want to CONTROL the development of that side of Disney. Maybe they don't want to look like 192 or International Drive. They want to shape all parts of the development like they did in Celebration.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, if you look at the diagram I posted earlier, RCID own land on both sides of the Beltway at the junction (good thinking - donate the land, but make sure you still own either side of the roadway. No 192!) so the actual intersection should be clutter free; a parking lot next to the northbound exit ramp maybe.

There again in 5 years you might turn east onto Western Way and meet a multi level concrete Disney intersection from hell. Remember what World Drive all the way to EPCOT Center Drive looked like 15 years ago? Almost pleasent!

wedway71

Actually I do see them using Publix for the grocery store. Basically think of the new Towne Center off 46A and I-4 by you and me in Lake Mary on the Westbound side of I-4. That is the same basic idea of the development.:D

If I had to guess Id say Publix too.
a-Albertsons is having alot of issues and has been seriously been thinking about dumping the Florida stores.
b-Goodings even though a realy good fit-ie Celebration might not be expanding at this time.
c-Winn Dixie-------someone just put this dog out of its misery-even after filing bankruptcy its still floundering.
d-Food Lion and Sweetbay(Kash n karry) are same company-even though Delhaize group which owns Food Lion,Sweet Bay,and Hannafords(Maine) with a total of about 1300 stores strong dont offer Disney the store prototype that a Publix/Disney partnership could.
e-and for those of you living in Tampa dont forget U-save????-if you have been to a u-save youd know why not-lol

FairyTaleCouple

Hey Now!

Hey! Why do you have to be mean, do you even have your facts?

I happen to work for Winn Dixie in the IT department @ their headquarters in Jacksonville, FL. We are by no means floundering, in fact sales have been up for several quarters in a row. We have cut costs and closed underperforming stores, etc etc. And we are coming out of bankruptcy next week. I am sorry if you have heard differently, but we are not going anywhere. There is always the chance that once we come out of bankruptcy another company will offer to buy a majority of our stock, but who knows. Anyhow, I know this isn't the place, but I take it personally when someone attacks the company that pays for my Disney passes, hotels, meals, and recent Disney Wedding!! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom