Disney planning a new Western Beltway Property

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
And it will have DVC attached! Well according to other reports at least.

So is this going to be an actual Disney resort or more like Hotel Plaza Blvd? Value oriented 3rd party hotels and timeshares?

I'm not certain its DVC. The first-hand information I received indicated Timeshare, but not specifically DVC.

New2WDW

Sounds interesting! With the Grocery Store and fast food places it seems obvious that any resort located there will not have a food court. Pools on the other hand might be left out as well, with a park nearby and Water Parks just a short drive away this could easily be seen as Mickey's Motel 5 setup (5 for the fab five characters)

Thanks for the info Steve!

New2

goofntink

If this is the idea that has been kicked around for a while, it would be Disney approved 3rd party hotels, and timeshare resorts.The retailers would be approved also in order to keep out the tacky tourist trap gift shops and t-shirt shops. One thing Disney has always hated is the area between Disney and U.S. 27 on 192. If they had their way back then,those would not exist as that was the problem with DisneyLand.This would strengthened the plans Disney has about providing everything a guest would need so as to not give them a reason to leave Disney property.

Epcot82Guy

I will be interested to see where this goes. Just a few thoughts:

1. I don't think this sounds correct for an actual Disney attraction like DTD is. DTD should remain the central nightlife area, although Boardwalk should be up there, too, if they would fix the transportation issues to and from there.

2. If this is more of a gateway issue, though, I like the concept. I agree this sounds much more like Crossroads than DTD. And, I think that is a good thing. If there is a mini Hotel Plaza Blvd. on this side of property, it will serve as a gateway (an "ease into the magic" area) usable by guests and non-guests. I do hope they take a unique approach to it, though, especially if it is meant as a shopping destination. Actually, this project sounds a lot like the Station projects going on in Atlanta (replacing the residential with hotel use).

3. This all makes me wonder how "Disney" this will be. Meaning, could this be more of an actual shopping destination on property where Disney takes a cut and maintains quality. I do think that has strong potential on property, especially for people that love the magic but may get a bit too much of it at times (can't relate, but know those people are out there).
I look forward to more information regarding just what this project is all about.

Peterwhite171

Is the area where this development is going to be built the same place rumoured to be where a 5th gate would go?

Walt Disney World or Walt's Shopping Kingdom?

Would be nice if we could see a map of the whole property to see where this is going and what space they have left for the future.

hokielutz

So where on the property will this little gem of shopping, dining, and value rooms be dropped? I am unfamiliar with the Western Beltway

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
1. I don't think this sounds correct for an actual Disney attraction like DTD is. DTD should remain the central nightlife area, although Boardwalk should be up there, too, if they would fix the transportation issues to and from there.

2. If this is more of a gateway issue, though, I like the concept. I agree this sounds much more like Crossroads than DTD. And, I think that is a good thing. If there is a mini Hotel Plaza Blvd. on this side of property, it will serve as a gateway (an "ease into the magic" area) usable by guests and non-guests. I do hope they take a unique approach to it, though, especially if it is meant as a shopping destination. Actually, this project sounds a lot like the Station projects going on in Atlanta (replacing the residential with hotel use)

From the information that Steve posted it doesn't seem like its meant to be anything like DTD. I think the comparison to the crossroad area is more accurate. We haven't really seen anything like this from Disney yet so the concept may be similar to crossroads I have a feeling the execution will be VERY different. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is the area where this development is going to be built the same place rumoured to be where a 5th gate would go?

Walt Disney World or Walt's Shopping Kingdom?

Would be nice if we could see a map of the whole property to see where this is going and what space they have left for the future.

Here`s the RCID map of the area; although the roads in question were still proposed at this stage you can see the road junction top left; the development is proposed just east of it. Anything in the white area is non-Disney. Pink is City of Bay Lake. Purple is unadopted RCID (think Disney) land - so at a guess it`ll be mostly North and East of the intersection.

Attachments

• RCID western road.jpg
    RCID western road.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 235

TP2000

Here's hoping the execution of this project does not leave anything to be desired... :lookaroun

I really, really hope this is just going to be a collection of economy motels around a nicely designed yet mundane retail center. Let's hope they don't try and brand this with the "Disney's" title, and instead just let it be a pleasant little slice of the real world for those visiting WDW on a budget.

I'm very worried that they will try to play this off as Downtown Disney West. In my humble opinion, Downtown Disney at WDW has become too shlocky, too touristy, too cheesy, and too low-rent for my tastes. If they try and do a retail/dining/entertainment development that is even lower on the good taste scale, I'm worried what it will look and feel like.

Downtown Disney in Anaheim is fantastic; full of upscale and unique shops and fine dining, plus snazzy adult entertainment like ESPNZone and House of Blues, with a few family staples like Rainforest or a Megaplex Movie Cinema thrown in. Ikspiari at Tokyo Disney Resort also fits into that mold, although it has a lot more stores and far less dining than Anaheim's version. The architecture in Anaheim is stylish and subtle and elegant, with a few whimsical touches placed at the more boisterous locations like Ralph Brennan's, ESPN, or House of Blues. In the evenings on weekends and during busy seasons they have outdoor musicians playing jazzy, sparkling music in little alcoves and plazas throughout the center. Disneyland's Downtown Disney is a very festive, but elegant and upscale place to spend an evening whether your a tourist from Seattle or a local from Laguna.

WDW's Downtown Disney, on the other hand, is noticeably down a few notches on the socio-economic ladder. It's garish, tacky, worn around the edges, and anything but elegant. Where Anaheim has famous chefs like Joachim Splichal or Ralph Brennan, Orlando has Ronald McDonald. :lol:

WDW's Downtown Disney is already sketchy enough, and in the evening overrun by rowdy, drunk college kids from Pleasure Island. I really worry about the vibe and reputation anything lower on the totem pole would garner Disney in Orlando if they brand this new development as anything even remotely associated with the Downtown Disney concept.

DisneyRoxMySox

I really, really hope this is just going to be a collection of economy motels around a nicely designed yet mundane retail center. Let's hope they don't try and brand this with the "Disney's" title, and instead just let it be a pleasant little slice of the real world for those visiting WDW on a budget.

This seems like a really great idea. But I am afraid of the opposite. I'm worried that there will be a Motel 6 or a Super 8 surrounded by park, that may be subpar, or at least turn that way. I hope for a DVC instead of an approved timeshare, as I still get a little upset when I hear about the buildings going up behind EPCOT.

I hope it is associated with the Disney name. When I imagined this, I thought of a park with a center piece of a water fountain with Disney characters. A nicely themed vaule resort, similar to a local inn. A DVC themed to a bed and breakfast. A small post office, deli, coffe shop. An upscale restaurant and a supermarket. Wheter it be a chain or a Disney operated market.

I like the sounf of a cross between DTD and a Crossroads into the magic. I can't wait to see the results.

CoffeeJedi

IIn my humble opinion, Downtown Disney at WDW has become too shlocky, too touristy, too cheesy, and too low-rent for my tastes. If they try and do a retail/dining/entertainment development that is even lower on the good taste scale, I'm worried what it will look and feel like.
Perhaps they can use this new area to fill that bottom rung, then hopefully move DTD back to a decidedly more upscale destination.

TP2000

Perhaps they can use this new area to fill that bottom rung, then hopefully move DTD back to a decidedly more upscale destination.

Hmm... good point. :wave:

WDW's Downtown Disney could clearly use some polish and refinement. Now that Disneyland's very diffferent style of Downtown Disney has proven to be a smashing success with tourists and locals alike, hopefully this is part of a bigger plan to bring the classier Disneyland concept out to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom