Disney Parks and Consumer Products now one division

D

Deleted member 107043

Not every consumer is a Disney fan or customer. When Iger says consumer I believe he is referring to literally everyone around the world with enough disposable income to potententially be a customer, whether they are one today or not.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
not a derogatory term, but how many 'consumer departments' or 'consumer relations' departments are you aware of?
it's generally shied away from in customer-facing situations and used more in-house for employees describing end users.

it is a rather blunt way to describe customers, but he's certainly a wall street type, so viewing customers as merely those who 'consume' makes sense

Actually almost every large retail business has a consumer relations department that deals directly with the customer on complaints.

smile

Saying that using "consumers" instead of "customers" is "blunt" is implying that you think that "consumer" has a negative connotation. It doesn't. Most states have a "department of consumer affairs."

When private and governmental advocacy groups use "consumer" instead of "customer", it only shows it does not normally have any sort of negative, harsh, or blunt connotations.

and you don't give any weight to the fact that that's mainly where you'll see it - in state and government institutions or in a report... there's a reason for that.
name one large company that has a consumer service department or a consumer relations department, please

Disney Irish

Premium Member
and you don't give any weight to the fact that that's mainly where you'll see it - in state and government institutions or in a report... there's a reason for that.
name one large company that has a consumer service department or a consumer relations department, please

Every large company has one, externally you know its as Customer Service. But internally its known as Consumer Relations, its the same department.

smile

Not every consumer is a Disney fan or customer. When Iger says consumer I believe he is referring to literally everyone around the world with enough disposable income to potententially be a customer, whether they are one today or not.

hey's clearly describing any who would 'consume' twdc created content - like fish for his fish food

it's common phrasing, just generally not customer facing... however, mr. i wasn't really talking to customers or consumers anyway, but mainly shareholders, and in a business sense...
for example, using 'consumer' makes perfect sense on a stockholder conference call, but i'd shy away from, while on stage, calling everyone at d23 consumers.

smile

Except more and more companies are changing the name to Consumer Relations to reflect the change in times.

For example, Kirby Vacuum's. A company that has been around for over a 100 years uses it:

https://www.kirby.com/consumer-relations/

i actually saw it referenced by ge as well... wonder if companies like ge and kirby have been using the term for so long they've just stuck with it... that's what all customers used to be called, but it's fallen out in favor of 'softer' phrasing

dweezil78

You all do realize the press release was not meant to service us fans but rather aimed at industry/business press, right? Your average Disney fan probably has no clue any of this even happened nor would they care to. The original article linked here is from CNBC -- this is a business news site. That's how those people talk. :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
i actually saw it referenced by ge as well... wonder if companies like ge and kirby have been using the term for so long they've just stuck with it... that's what all customers used to be called, but it's fallen out in favor of 'softer' phrasing

Another example is Hawaiian Airlines which is newer than both of the others:

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1882/~/consumer-affairs-office

It all depends on the company, the context in which the term is used, and really comes down to a choice. The terms Consumer and Customer can at times be interchanged, but both are not always the same.

TROR

Original Poster
THIS JUST IN: President Trump confirms it's consumer, not customer.

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 10.53.24 AM.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think Disney P&R needs to figure out where California and Florida are on the map. I didn't know Disneyland Paris was in Norway.

https://aboutdisneyparks.com/about/around-the-world

RngHFBw.png

To be fair though, none of those stars line up properly with their respective park location.

Paris is really Norway
Tokyo is in the middle of the Sea of Okhotsk
Hong Kong is near Shanghai
Shanghai is almost in North Korea
And Hawaii is in the North Pacific

Phroobar

To be fair though, none of those stars line up properly with their respective park location.

Paris is really Norway
Tokyo is in the middle of the Sea of Okhotsk
Hong Kong is near Shanghai
Shanghai is almost in North Korea
And Hawaii is in the North Pacific
So basically they don't know where any of their parks are. It's pretty embarrassing since this is their corporate department home page. Even if the stars were shifted down it is still wrong.

nevol

I'm against VR in theme parks as well. Theme parks are already 3d and texture rich and natural, something VR wishes it could be. But turning dead retail space into vr experiences is a great way to turn boring retail into attractions/experiences separate from parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom