Disney Parks and Consumer Products now one division

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We used to be "guests" of Disney. Now we are consumers of Disney's theme park product.

You're guests of the parks and in the parks they'll call you guests and refer you to guest services. You aren't guests of their movies or merchandise. The division of the company deals with more than just park guests.

Did Walt refer to the people that saw Snow White as guests of his company?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
and you don't give any weight to the fact that that's mainly where you'll see it - in state and government institutions or in a report.

Don't brush away Consumer Reports as just "a report" in order to make your point... it pretty much shows you're floundering to make your point.

Consumer Reports is a highly respected and trusted consumer advocacy organization. If they thought that the term 'consumer' was in any way derogatory or unflattering or un-PC, they would have changed their name.

smile

Don't brush away Consumer Reports as just "a report" in order to make your point... it pretty much shows you're floundering to make your point.

Consumer Reports is a highly respected and trusted consumer advocacy organization. If they thought that the term 'consumer' was in any way derogatory or unflattering or un-PC, they would have changed their name.

it's 90 years old! .. it's a dated term
- you personally have yet to name me one company that refers to their 'customer service' as consumer services, also.

and you're going to tell me that your going to refer to the gathered crowd at d23 'consumers' while on stage?
go ahead and do it... check the reaction

i have never once in my life been told i'm a valued consumer... have you?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
- you personally have yet to name me one company that refers to their 'customer service' as consumer services, also.

and you're going to tell me that your going to refer to the gathered crowd at d23 'consumers' while on stage?

You're welcome to go through the rest of your life thinking that 'consumer' has negative connotations.

Disneyhead'71

You're guests of the parks and in the parks they'll call you guests and refer you to guest services. You aren't guests of their movies or merchandise. The division of the company deals with more than just park guests.

Did Walt refer to the people that saw Snow White as guests of his company?
No. I also see no evidence that he referred to consumers of his theme park product as "consumers" either. You know, he could have also just called Cast Members "employees".

TROR

Original Poster
Consumer of a product
Customer of a store
Guest of a theme park
Viewer of a movie/show

Can we all agree on this or should we let the pointless arguing continue?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Consumer of a product
Customer of a store
Guest of a theme park
Viewer of a movie/show

Can we all agree on this or should we let the pointless arguing continue?

It's 'audience' for movies. And there are links above for a more technical difference between customers and consumers used by business analysts.

TROR

Original Poster
It's 'audience' for movies. And there are links above for a more technical difference between customers and consumers used by business analysts.
I was thinking audience, but can one person be an audience in the same way someone could be a customer or a guest?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
By the by... the new division isn't called Parks, Experiences and Products for Consumers; it's called Parks, Experiences, and Consumer Products.

Lest any park guest take offense.

;)

CaptainAmerica

You're not a customer of Disney's consumer products segment, you're a consumer. The customers are LEGO and Hasbro and the other licensees of Disney's IP. If anything, calling it consumer products puts a greater focus on the end user than the end user is due. The chain goes... Disney licenses Cars to Mattel. Mattel manufactures a crap load of diecast cars and sells them to Target. I buy cars for $3.99 a pop at Target so my daughter can smash them into each other. Mattel is Disney's customer. Target is Mattel's customer. I am Target's customer. My daughter is nobody's customer, but she's absolutely the consumer.

dweezil78

You all are pretty nuts, you know that? I still can't believe you're hyper-analyzing the verbiage of a CEO intended for trade publications. That's a little crazy, just saying. I think one of the biggest issues with the open, more transparent world we live in today is that people are always seeing how the sausage is made. I liked it better when we didn't see how the sausage was made. Ignorance was bliss!!!

Last edited:

smile

You're not a customer of Disney's consumer products segment, you're a consumer. The customers are LEGO and Hasbro and the other licensees of Disney's IP. If anything, calling it consumer products puts a greater focus on the end user than the end user is due. The chain goes... Disney licenses Cars to Mattel. Mattel manufactures a crap load of diecast cars and sells them to Target. I buy cars for $3.99 a pop at Target so my daughter can smash them into each other. Mattel is Disney's customer. Target is Mattel's customer. I am Target's customer. My daughter is nobody's customer, but she's absolutely the consumer.

i see you, but support functions, for example, are usually reserved for end users yet they're largely considered customer service even when mainly serving 'consumers'

all i'm really saying is that, like d71's post, in general parlance, consumers is to customers as employees are to cast members -
i would find it odd to be called a valued consumer, regardless of dictionary definitions... obviously, others don't see it that way

anyways, the parks are now in the consumer products segment/consumer products are now in the parks segment...
suppose one could say i'm consuming 'the magic' when i'm riding haunted mansion if they really wanted to - doesn't make it any less odd to my ears

smile

You all are pretty nuts, you know that? I still can't believe you're hyper-analyzing the verbiage of CEO intended for a trade publications. That's a little crazy, just saying. I think one of the biggest issues with the open, more transparent world we live in today is that people are always seeing how the sausage is made. I liked it better when we didn't see how the sausage was made. Ignorance was bliss!!!

hah agreed...
i'd like to take this moment to apologize to the thread for my part in dragging us down into an apparent semantical black hole
:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom