Disney Park Announcements during D23 Expo (Sept 10-13)

juan

I could make business plans to put me out there the same time of the convention. Is this something I should try my best to get to?

MKCP 1985

The Disney Expo is going to be a Disney parks geek's dream. If I could justify the time out there I'd sure go.

Since I will be in Central Florida the week before, I'm going to have to read other people's reports

EpcotServo

D64 is like a wdwmagic virus or parasite on the unofficial Disney Fansite community. It never misses an opportunity to promote itself as an alternative to D23, but is never mentioned anywhere ever except in response to some D23 announcement, such as . . . this thread! :hammer: That would be because D64 is nothing more than a protest group, offering nothing of substance on its own.

The idea that a simple letter and number can instill dislike, fear, loathing, dismissal-or irks any emotion from the depths of your id is proof that it's worth something. Ideas can never be destroyed. No corporation can stop an idea. Substance is meaningless in this meaningless world, and we're all meaningless. 23...64.... Yet the idea won't die. We will continue to do nothing with D64. Yet still, D64 pops up. People I've never met online join -and make D64 their first avatar. Why? the idea. Throw it on the fire. Destroy it. Hide it. Fear it. Love it. Everything is meaningless unless it has meaning to you. And as long as an idea can do that, it will never, ever be stopped.

"I don't know where jazz is going. Maybe it's going to hell. You can't make anything go anywhere. It just happens."

-Thelonious Monk

TP2000

I could make business plans to put me out there the same time of the convention. Is this something I should try my best to get to?

You should probably check out their website.

It's important to remember that the Anaheim Convention Center is the largest convention center on the West Coast (bigger and more sprawling than LA, Seattle, San Francisco, etc.), and one of the biggest convention centers in the world. And the D23 Expo is taking up the entire facility, on all levels and in all halls. They are even using the 7,500 seat Anaheim Arena for keynote speeches by Disney executives (Lasseter, Iger, Rasulo, Cook). A custom 3-D theater is part of the setup, entire pavlions dedicated to the different divisions of the Walt Disney Company, etc., etc.

This thing is BIG! http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/index.html

TP2000

Can anyone really go?

Yes. I don't belong to D23, and I'm going. :wave:

Tickets are $37 per day, or $111 for a 4-Day ticket. I'm just buying a one day ticket and plan to spend at least a few hours there. If I'm really into it, I will stay longer. And if there's lots of cool stuff, I'll buy a second day ticket. I can't imagine spending all four days there, unless you really needed to see the keynote speeches in person for some reason.

D23 members do get a small discount on tickets, but just 7 bucks off per day, and no real apparent benefit other than a few bucks discount. http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/book-your-trip.html

I don't plan on going to any of the keynote speeches in the Anaheim Arena, as I know they will be available online in video format on the usual Disneyland fan sites. But I do plan on strolling through the exhibits and pavilions for a few hours on Thursday afternoon, especially the Imagineering pavilion!

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
Yes. I don't belong to D23, and I'm going. :wave:

Tickets are $37 per day, or $111 for a 4-Day ticket. I'm just buying a one day ticket and plan to spend at least a few hours there. If I'm really into it, I will stay longer. And if there's lots of cool stuff, I'll buy a second day ticket. I can't imagine spending all four days there, unless you really needed to see the keynote speeches in person for some reason.

D23 members do get a small discount on tickets, but just 7 bucks off per day, and no real apparent benefit other than a few bucks discount. http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/book-your-trip.html

I don't plan on going to any of the keynote speeches in the Anaheim Arena, as I know they will be available online in video format on the usual Disneyland fan sites. But I do plan on strolling through the exhibits and pavilions for a few hours on Thursday afternoon, especially the Imagineering pavilion!

D23 Member can also get in an hour early everyday.

EPCOT Explorer said:
Agreed! Im fine in my opinion...You?

I'm fine with my opinion and your opinion, that's why I posted that. :)

I just find it really annoying when D64 members have to make some kind of sarcastic remark toward D23 in nearly ANY thread that even mentioned D23.

EPCOT Explorer

No, it is just spam on this board at this point. Nothing else to say about D64.
Wow...Spam? I am sure a valid opinion is not spam.

Except for what is shaping up to be quite an awesome convention (even though anyone can go)
I agree there. They might do something amazing there.

D23 Member can also get in an hour early everyday.

I'm fine with my opinion and your opinion, that's why I posted that. :)

I just find it really annoying when D64 members have to make some kind of sarcastic remark toward D23 in nearly ANY thread that even mentioned D23.

Point taken.:) As you can see, it appears it comes from both sides of the fence...:lol:

CaptainMichael

I agree there. They might do something amazing there.

I think at this point, it's a forgone conclusion. This thing is massive, has keynotes from top people, and Imagineering goodies. How can it not be amazing? Could this have been done without D23? I think so, but the best part is, you don't have to be a member to go. So I say, we should bury the hatchet with D23. It is what is, some people see value, others see more "nickel and diming" If D23 events (like Illuminations party) occur more frequently, I could definitely see the value in such a fan club. Until then, I'll save my money for a trip to HKDL's Adventurers Club (my D23).

EPCOT Explorer

I think at this point, it's a forgone conclusion. This thing is massive, has keynotes from top people, and Imagineering goodies. How can it not be amazing? Could this have been done without D23? I think so, but the best part is, you don't have to be a member to go. So I say, we should bury the hatchet with D23. It is what is, some people see value, others see more "nickel and diming" If D23 events (like Illuminations party) occur more frequently, I could definitely see the value in such a fan club. Until then, I'll save my money for a trip to HKDL's Adventurers Club (my D23).
Agreed... It's a step in the right direction. The hatchet is partially burried.:lol: I'm still miffed at how "cheap" it looks on Disney's part that it's still ultimately a Merch club.:shrug: Skymall.

It's getting better.

jt04

Agreed... It's a step in the right direction. The hatchet is partially burried.:lol: I'm still miffed at how "cheap" it looks on Disney's part that it's still ultimately a Merch club.:shrug: Skymall.

It's getting better.

It was always planned this way. Something like the expo does not just happen. The folks who supported the D23 concept early on got critisized for "defending the man" in a very mean spirited manner. Now when everything is becoming more clear, those same critics seem to be taking credit for the D23 offerings even though they had nothing to do with it. What they should be doing is apologizing to the people that had it right in the first place.

*steps off soap box because there is no point in waiting around for the apology*

EPCOT Explorer

It was always planned this way. Something like the expo does not just happen. The folks who supported the D23 concept early on got critisized for "defending the man" in a very mean spirited manner. Now when everything is becoming more clear, those same critics seem to be taking credit for the D23 offerings even though they had nothing to do with it. What they should be doing is apologizing to the people that had it right in the first place.

*steps off soap box because there is no point in waiting around for the apology*

I'm not taking credit for anything...In fact, I am giving it to them!:brick::lol: I WANT them to do better. I WANT them to impress me. You think I want to see something fail?

And I'm thinking that if someone disagrees with you, you call them mean?:rolleyes: I am being as respectful as you will let me.

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, D23 certainly is not the best it can be. I'm hoping they can only improve from here. A lot more member benefits would make it worth while. (with a lot more events in WDW) That member card should be getting the members a lot more then entry into a couple of events (mostly in DL). I still love the concept tho :D

Maybe if the Expo is big enough this year they'll do a double expo one in WDW and one in the Anaheim Convention Center in the future. :shrug:

EpcotServo

No, it is just spam on this board at this point. Nothing else to say about D64.

"Short...but pointless."
-
Egon

I get annoyed that people throw out sarcastic comments about D64, such as the one above, even though it's done nothing but exist.

But then again, I get great pleasure from knowing it exists and continues to live on despite no effort, so that counters any negative feeling I have towards anyone.
:lol:

Anyways, I miss the Disneyana conventions...

EPCOT Explorer

"Short...but pointless."
-
Egon

I get annoyed that people throw out sarcastic comments about D64, such as the one above, even though it's done nothing but exist.

But then again, I get great pleasure from knowing it exists and continues to live on despite no effort, so that counters any negative feeling I have towards anyone.
:lol:

Anyways, I miss the Disneyana conventions...

I still update the fb page....:lookaroun:lol:

jt04

I'm not taking credit for anything...In fact, I am giving it to them!:brick::lol: I WANT them to do better. I WANT them to impress me. You think I want to see something fail?

And I'm thinking that if someone disagrees with you, you call them mean?:rolleyes: I am being as respectful as you will let me.

I'm not talking about any individual. I'd just like people to be able to defend or critisize on facts, not out of some knee jerk agenda.

It's not the criticism of D23 that initially bothered me, it was the very mean spirited attacks on those that defended the concept here on these boards. It's a continuing pattern. Instead of dealing with the facts at hand, there are some posters who make it personal because they don't have the facts on their side.

D64 does not bother me, it was kind of clever. It's the reactionary nature of it that does. It was created before the facts were in, thereby demonstrating that it's "adherents" :lol: already have their minds made up about Disney management. And it is "dangerous" to disagree with them. The critics show that they embody everything they claim they despise.

You are just an innocent bystander caught up in it I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom