News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

ThemeParkJunkee

And so it begins...I've been following along since the beginning of this thread so no shock or surprise. I will continue to follow what happens next. Based on WDW's usual timelines, This will just be one more closed attraction in the park soon to be formerly known as DHS when I go next year. Emojis are in order.:cry::grumpy::bawling::(.

Jones14

It's gonna be all about the cool ride system.
Should we take this to mean that the vehicles are going to be upgraded from the "standard", a la Ratatouille vs. Mystic Manor? That would be nice, and a good way to further differentiate Mickey from Alcatraz.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I see nothing wrong with modernized AA's, but, the impressive days of the AA are in the last quarter of the last century. They are still entertaining, but, are not the big thing in technology. Today's creativity with screens are the current "thing" of this century. What they have done with screens is amazing and that is what is impressing people now. If Disney were to ignore modern technology they would be left behind very quickly. Change or die has been a business model for many, many years. I doubt that Ford Motor Company would survive selling Model T's.

They almost did not survive selling Pinto's and Gen 1.0 Fiesta's, So let's not make the mistake of shiny new thing == better. As for Ford's generally I love their trucks, Their cars not so much.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How about both? Navi River Journey shows a small taste of what can be done. I don't think it has to be a one or the other proposition.

MODERN AA's combined with screen/projection technology has the potential to be amazing. As the river journey proves I'm told there are 31 screens in total but most people can only identify 6 which says job well done to me.

Goofyernmost

MODERN AA's combined with screen/projection technology has the potential to be amazing. As the river journey proves I'm told there are 31 screens in total but most people can only identify 6 which says job well done to me.
And that is what the Screen usage is about today. Universal has done incredibly entertaining and immersive things with screens. The train ride is mind mindbogglingly impressive. The trouble is that the stance being taken is that screens are evil. Badly done screens are a distraction, but, just like the "olden" days of AA dominance they are not doing it in a mediocre sense and what they are doing is very impressive.

yensidtlaw1969

I doubt that Ford Motor Company would survive selling Model T's.
But they didn't stop selling cars outright, they improved on the Model T and built new, more exciting cars better suited to the consumers of the age. And look, Ford's still hanging on.

No reason Disney can't be doing that with Animatronics - as evidenced by the success they have when they swing for the fences with them. If animatronics are old hat, why is the big expensive Na'avi Shaman the grand finale of her attraction? Why did they replace the finale screen in Grand Fiesta with three aging animatronics? Because there's something visceral to a dimensional experience that a screen can't achieve. Part of why Disney got into parks in the first place. They know this and they use it to their advantage, just not often enough anymore.

Screen Technology is even older than Animatronics, anyway. The mediums aren't dating themselves, the applications are.

Goofyernmost

But they didn't stop selling cars outright, they improved on the Model T and built new, more exciting cars better suited to the consumers of the age. And look, Ford's still hanging on.

No reason Disney can't be doing that with Animatronics - as evidenced by the success they have when they swing for the fences with them. If animatronics are old hat, why is the big expensive Na'avi Shaman the grand finale of her attraction? Why did they replace the finale screen in Grand Fiesta with three aging animatronics? Because there's something visceral to a dimensional experience that a screen can't achieve. Part of why Disney got into parks in the first place. They know this and they use it to their advantage, just not often enough anymore.

Screen Technology is even older than Animatronics, anyway. The mediums aren't dating themselves, the applications are.
They are old hat as the leads in the shows. We are long past the mouth gaping way we were when we first saw AA's. Incorporating them along with screens is a good idea... thinking that they can carry the load anymore is head in the sand thinking. March into the 21st century... things have changed. Screens are, at least, the immediate future. Might as well accept it and enjoy the show. They are doing some really good ones with those evil screens.

Last edited:

MaximumEd

They are old hat as the leads in the shows. We are long past the mouth gaping way we were when we first saw AA's. Incorporating them along with screens is a good idea... thinking that they can carry the load anymore is head in the sand thinking. March into the 21st century... things have changed. Screens are, at least, the immediate future. Might as well accept it and enjoy the show. They are don't some really good ones with those evil screens.

I don't disagree with the majority of this. I still think a Shaman caliber AA does something that a screen can't. Just like a top notch, well blended and hidden screen does some things with movement that an AA can't do. The future of Disney level immersion in attractions is a well done blend of both. Just my opinion.

Goofyernmost

I don't disagree with the majority of this. I still think a Shaman caliber AA does something that a screen can't. Just like a top notch, well blended and hidden screen does some things with movement that an AA can't do. The future of Disney level immersion in attractions is a well done blend of both. Just my opinion.
I agree with that observation.

MaximumEd

Take the critters walking through the forest in NRJ. Can't do that well with an AA. Closest I've seen is B'rer Rabbit hopping a few feet behind a hedge in Splash. But, take the Shaman. Only an AA can do that depth and realism. I keep using NRJ, since it's the newest of the new and done so well. Shame about the ride length and lack of any kind of story except you're kind of floating down this river and.......?

ToTBellHop

They're fueling a fire that's already burning........
While I love GMR, it will be quickly forgotten by the masses

ToT was more popular at DCA and most folks quickly came on board with Mission Breakout. And Mickey at least will be far more than a retheme and will provide a genuinely fun experience.

I think Mickey will be fantastic. Literally my only gripe is that it comes at the expense of GMR.

seabreezept813

Because like many topics... the audience that appreciated it aged out and died. Or in the case of Disney... aged out of being their prime visitor demographic.

IMO the advanced CGI that we have today really makes people lack the appreciation for what was done before.

Let's face it.. how many people <30 today have any affinity for 'The Golden Age of Hollywood'? Besides recognizing the names, how many even have an idea what the big names were famous for anymore?

The continuous output that is hollywood, combined with the incredible speed of technology makes modern audience less interested/aware of the product from generations before IMO.

In the minority, but I am under 30 and grew up on Astaire, Gene Kelly, Judy Garland, etc. and am glad that I was--such true talent and entertainment.

yensidtlaw1969

They are old hat as the leads in the shows. We are long past the mouth gaping way we were when we first saw AA's. Incorporating them along with screens is a good idea... thinking that they can carry the load anymore is head in the sand thinking. March into the 21st century... things have changed. Screens are, at least, the immediate future. Might as well accept it and enjoy the show. They are doing some really good ones with those evil screens.
I never said screens were evil. They're not. But if I wanted to stare at a screen all day instead of be0ing transported to a new physical reality, I can pop down to the local multiplex for $20 instead of plopping down the much larger sum it takes to travel to a theme park.

Besides, the best attractions never did leave it to animatronics to "carry the load". Pirates also has a fun ride system, expansive sets, great special effects and a catchy song, all of which are an easy sell on their own. But let's not pretend the enourmous cast of raucous pirates do nothing to put the ride over the top. They are the icing and then some. Not even just because of the technology -- convincing or otherwise, they're used to create brilliantly designed visual gags, many of which allow for the hokiness of their machinery to be given a pass.

It's just disappointing when I'm asked to believe an attraction that is essentially a Movie+ experience is the best that can be done, when Disney built it's there park empire on aspiring to much more than a projector and some extras. Especially when the technology pops up in the real world with more frequency than ever. If I'm paying premium prices, I want to see something I can't see anywhere else in the world.

Screens work best when they are an element of the larger illusion that is the attraction, when they are tasked with heightening your ability to believe what is being seen in front of you. When they are all of or the majority of what is being seen in front of you there is very little illusion, very little convincing to be done. Madame Leota is essentially a screen, and for a long while people were dumbfounded as to how she was achieved. She still stands as a very successful screen effect. But I can't think of a moment on Star Tours, Forbidden Journey, Body Wars, Gringotts -- any screen attraction I've been on where I was convinced what I was seeing wasn't a screen. Whereas the best animatronics either are convincing enough to make you question if a "robot" can really do what this thing in front of you is doing (Na'avi Shaman, Lincoln at Disneyland) or are used in such a way that the illusion of reality is not integral to the success of the scene (the gags in the Graveyard at the Haunted Mansion need not realistic animatronics to succeed in their use of them). Your jaw need not drop at the simulation of life for an animatronic to be successful, though Disney has shown time and again it is capable of such feats.

zoso

I'm sure this has been answered already, but can somebody tell me if the ride will still be operating/open in late August?

I don't even know if it's still open right now, so I apologize for a redundant question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom