News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

wdwgreek

If it had been updated over the years it wouldn't be nearly as big a problem.

I still wouldn't call it a joke.
Sorry to swoop in here, but the attraction is far from a joke. It really is a beatifically orchestrated, staged, and near classic attraction. Updates would have been lovely, but the sets, design, and story are a true masterstroke. Sure it is bogged down by Ripley's waxy face, or the stale script, but just because the films are old does not mean they aren't well integrated into the ride. The ride is a tour-de force of imagination and disney thematic design. It is a love letter to a bygone hollywood that never was but always will be. I adore this attraction, i agree it needs updating, I agree parts are hokey, but it is far from a joke.

Tavernacle12

I'm also curious as to where those scores are coming from and how they are reality. The total numbers at the parks seem to defy that theory, but, who know maybe they have dropped. If I were a betting man, I'd say that it is probably the lack of "Rides" that is what is upsetting people not the shows.

First timers are likely not avoiding HS and being let down by the lack of things to do there, while long-time fans give poor ratings due to the park being stale and having fallen from when it was good, as they continue to go because that's where Star Tours, Mania, and Tower are.

While there's certainly enough in the park to do a full day if you REALLY wanted to (I've done it but I just kept going on Star Tours to fill time) it's such a mishmash of demographics I doubt many people would want to do everything. Tower and Rockin are the two biggest thrill rides in the resort, and the people going there for them likely aren't interested in the Mermaid show or Playhouse Disney and vice versa. People may go for Mania but find little else there to do.

The park is far from trash but it's also easily the worst of the four in Orlando.

Dragonrider1227

Especially in DHS' case. The first time I went, my sister (not as big of fan as I) was telling me, "You know this park better than me, what is there to do?" Clearly dissatisfied. Another friend of mine who works at Disney Springs called the park "trash." :/
Wow. "trash" is harsh. It's small but that just means you can take it all in slowly.

Dragonrider1227

Let me just say he's a bit low-key/pessimistic ly dark-humored and fabulously dramatic.. but it's an honest opinion :/ the elements are there, it just needs a lot of work.
There is potential that it hasn't quite met and I think it's best times was probably when I first went in '90 (I miss whe it was all Roger Rabbit and D-ick Tracy. Oh, and when it actually had a working studio you could tour) but still... I can actually get a decent day out of the park.

Herbie

I've imagined how the expansions today would take place if we actually received the Roger Rabbit miniland (still hoping for more of his presence :/ unofficial mascot a la Figment), Muppet Studios and the Dick Tracy attraction. The park wouldn't be in the desperate position it is today, but would still need an update to all of these lands and it just piques my interest how things would go.

Exomonia

...Muppet Studios and the **** Tracy attraction. The park wouldn't be in the desperate position it is today...
It's always rather unfortunate when the censor blocks out something genuinely not rude... at least it provides a laugh! In other news, I haven't seen the Music of Pixar show, but could that be a potential replacement? I mean, I am assuming the plan would be to get rid of it after summer... but couldn't they make it run full time and phase out Beauty and the Beast instead? That would provide an easy change that I'm sure could please many (presuming it is good.)

Herbie

It's always rather unfortunate when the censor blocks out something genuinely not rude... at least it provides a laugh! In other news, I haven't seen the Music of Pixar show, but could that be a potential replacement? I mean, I am assuming the plan would be to get rid of it after summer... but couldn't they make it run full time and phase out Beauty and the Beast instead? That would provide an easy change that I'm sure could please many (presuming it is good.)

I've personally only watched a video of it. It seems okay. I'm moreso happy that we just have something new. I wouldn't mind Beauty phasing out now and the theatre playing Pixar for the time being, but I'm not sure I'd want it as a full time replacement. My vote is for Snow White, the Golden Mickey's, or an update of the old Hollywood! Hollywood! show that played at the original Theatre of the Stars before Sunset Boulevard.

Last edited:

Colter

Closing of the GMR would be very sad indeed. Not only is one of the last that features a performing cast member (spielers, I think they are called) the ride also fits the "Old Hollywood" theme of Sunset Blvd. I love the the feel of strolling into the park and down toward the Chinese theatre, makes me feel like I'm in Roger Rabbitt or some noir movie. I'm sure that original intended effect is lost on plenty of folks but that doesn't mean the park is trash....Besides when the new lands are done it will have plenty to do so I'm hoping Disney finds a way to keep the GMR intact.

Goofyernmost

First timers are likely not avoiding HS and being let down by the lack of things to do there, while long-time fans give poor ratings due to the park being stale and having fallen from when it was good, as they continue to go because that's where Star Tours, Mania, and Tower are.

While there's certainly enough in the park to do a full day if you REALLY wanted to (I've done it but I just kept going on Star Tours to fill time) it's such a mishmash of demographics I doubt many people would want to do everything. Tower and Rockin are the two biggest thrill rides in the resort, and the people going there for them likely aren't interested in the Mermaid show or Playhouse Disney and vice versa. People may go for Mania but find little else there to do.

The park is far from trash but it's also easily the worst of the four in Orlando.
Never said it wasn't and, at the moment it, at least has a good reason. That reason, of course is because it's under reconstruction. However, it didn't have a lot of "rides" ever, it was mostly shows and, of course, the big chunk of time was the tour. For those now that are nothing, but, "ride" oriented, it is pretty sparse but, I don't remember many rides when it opened. GMR and Backlot are the only two that come to mind. The rest were shows or the inside walking tour. Even then if you weren't interested in experiencing everything, it afforded a good time to do other things like a water park or DTD. The idea that there is nothing to do, is all in the mind and not in reality. It will be better soon. In the meantime, if the first timers are disappointed it is probably because they are unaware of exactly what is happening in the park.

geekza

I have to be honest and say that I almost suggested to my family that we skip the Studios on our upcoming trip in September because there is so little to do there. I decided not to even bring it up since my kids would immediately shoot me down. Star Tours is a must for them. For me, I'll ride Tower of Terror, Star Tours, and, yes, The Great Movie Ride (which I adore). I figure we'll get a half-day out of it and then go spend the afternoon and evening in the Magic Kingdom so we can see HEA. We only have three days, so I just couldn't justify spending an entire day at DHS when there's currently just not that much to do. I really hope they don't close GMR down. It could use some updating, but I'm getting tired of Disney moving toward thrill rides.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have to be honest and say that I almost suggested to my family that we skip the Studios on our upcoming trip in September because there is so little to do there. I decided not to even bring it up since my kids would immediately shoot me down. Star Tours is a must for them. For me, I'll ride Tower of Terror, Star Tours, and, yes, The Great Movie Ride (which I adore). I figure we'll get a half-day out of it and then go spend the afternoon and evening in the Magic Kingdom so we can see HEA. We only have three days, so I just couldn't justify spending an entire day at DHS when there's currently just not that much to do. I really hope they don't close GMR down. It could use some updating, but I'm getting tired of Disney moving toward thrill rides.

GMR may be closed by the time you're there in September.

geekza

It's early September, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Honestly, once that goes I'll have very little incentive to return. I love ToT but I'm getting older and so is my back, so RnRC is completely out and this may be my last go-round on ToT. I've never been as big a fan of DHS as a lot of folks, but now that the "Old Hollywood" theme is going away and it is turning into Pixar/Star Wars Land, it has even less appeal to me. That's how I know I'm old. I feel like crawling onto the Haunted Mansion and never getting off for fear that they'll knock it down in favor of Elsa's XXXXXXXXX-Treeeeeeme Coaster Adventure (and Gift Shop).

Goofyernmost

But guests shouldn't have to be aware of what is happening in the park...the park should be wonderful without knowing there is change occurring...Unless of course they start discounting the tickets....
OK, let me get more specific since DHS has been less then a full day park since it opened, I'm not sure what possible reason there should be for informing the public. Besides unless they are accompanied by a seeing eye dog they can see the construction fences and advertisements everywhere. There is no need to discount anything, there are plenty of unique things to do there still and if one doesn't feel that what is available is good enough the simple solution is don't go there, use your ticket at a different park. My guess is that single day tickets are few and far between at DHS. Do they happen, I guess they might, but, there is an old saying that applies. It's Latin and it is "Caveat Emptor" or "let the buyer beware".

Bocabear

That's a great marketing slogan for a premium quality and price Disney Park! Buyer Beware!
and certainly the thousands of tourists that don't follow the blogs get what they deserve when they find that Disney's Hollywood Studios only has 4 rides and is covered with construction walls...

Figment Newton

You can argue that all you want, but the actual data regarding how long actual guests spend in the actual park are deeply concerning to the company. Further, Epcot is declining. Thus the company's priorities. DAK is getting closer to where they'd like it. I honestly feel that if it had one more "continent," especially if it included about four modest Fantasyland-style dark rides from the critter films, it'd be set.
When you say "critter films," are you referring to animated films such as Bambi, Jungle Book, etc. or any live action films Walt made about animals?

Just now thinking about it, there are several classic Disney films (Bambi and Jungle Book are probably best fits) that share the theme of AK - nature. Adding dark rides of these is an interesting idea!

ToTBellHop

When you say "critter films," are you referring to animated films such as Bambi, Jungle Book, etc. or any live action films Walt made about animals?

Just now thinking about it, there are several classic Disney films (Bambi and Jungle Book are probably best fits) that share the theme of AK - nature. Adding dark rides of these is an interesting idea!
I was thinking cartoons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom