News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

jeswins

Hmmm, could this be the beginning of the end of Hollywood Blvd? Could a whole new entrance, hub, and "Main St." (running east to west and lining up better with the new fireworks launch area) be in the works?

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

Although it's an opening day Disney-MGM ride, it's not a classic of the same caliber as Pirates or Haunted Mansion. I don't generally see a problem with GMR getting replaced with an all new dark ride.

I'm with you, used to love this ride but didn't enjoy it last time I was on it. Not a terrible ride but not a headliner. Wouldn't care if it disappeared as long as it's replaced by something different. If it's a food court or imagination 2.0....please leave TGMR.

PhotoDave219

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

PhotoDave219

Really hate that idea, but agree it might be the lesser evil ultimately if those are the only choices (which of course they are not). If this is for Guardians, I will be even more upset about losing GMR. Just doesn't make any sense in my mind.

Its like whether or not you want to put the kitten in the blender or in the microwave. All your choices suck.

Magenta Panther

It's all good.

As someone else mentioned, you're just so darn sensible when it comes to EVERY OTHER TOPIC, that I find your hate for all things Muppet to be overly zealous. Please tell me you like puppies and kittens.

First of all, please lose the "hate" stuff. I don't. That's a label the Muppet faithful here pinned on me because for them, there is no shade of gray - you either love the muppets to pieces or you hate them and you're a bad person. :rolleyes:

I have a dog and a cat, and love them both. :)

CDavid

Nothing is safe anymore :( is Cinderella Castle next? Lol I don't think they'd ever demo the castle, just saying

I agree, of course, but also I don't think anyone would ever suggest gutting the centerpiece attraction to a park, yet it has been proposed for Spaceship Earth at Epcot and now The Great Movie Ride. If there is nothing sacred, then there is nothing completely and permanently safe.

I know Disney would never do it, but closing DHS would've made the most sense. It would be a lot easier and faster to do the new expansions. Just my opinion

One positive to keeping a half-shuttered park open is it protects Tower of Terror (for the moment, at least). If the park were closed, the Twilight Zone Tower would be a goner.

Quoted because I couldn't like this post more than once.

Well this would make some darn sense. If I had to pick a place for GOTG to go between ToT, UoE & GMR..... so long GMR.

You can't realize how bad I don't want to agree with you - but I reluctantly do agree.

Be cause it would increase the cost to operate the park.

If you are going to ask premium prices for admission to your park, you have to deliver an experience worthy of the asking price. That means numbers of big-ticket attractions (look at Disneyland's attraction count). Otherwise the park becomes something people do because it can be cheaply added to their existing tickets (figure the park is worth an extra day on a four or five day pass even now, with it half closed off - but wouldn't Disney rather have the full ticket price over $100).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Every day it seems Disney forgets more and more what made them great in the first place. Everything they do now is for the wrong reason. If only they would take the money for this new attraction and make the great movie ride the epic ride that it should be. I guess you just can't reason with greed.
I hate to say this but Disney/MGM was never a "great" park. It was done on the quick and cheap.

MotherOfBirds

I'm starting to wonder if TDO is just having a collective stroke. Quick, boys! Do you smell toast?!

So the Hollywood theme is kaput then, I assume? The rumored "Disney Hollywood Adventure" rename wouldn't even make sense anymore. The backlot tour, the car stunt show, half the city facades, and the ride specifically devoted to classic movies are all gone or will be soon and ToT still isn't out of the woods yet either. I know we joke about Disney's IP Studios, but I'm honestly at a loss as to where the theme is headed.

Biff215

I'm starting to wonder if TDO is just having a collective stroke. Quick, boys! Do you smell toast?!

So the Hollywood theme is kaput then, I assume? The rumored "Disney Hollywood Adventure" rename wouldn't even make sense anymore. The backlot tour, the car stunt show, half the city facades, and the ride specifically devoted to classic movies are all gone or will be soon and ToT still isn't out of the woods yet either. I know we joke about Disney's IP Studios, but I'm honestly at a loss as to where the theme is headed.
And it still leaves you with the Indy stunt show and a ton of studio looking warehouses. If I actually believed Disney had a vision that would bring this all together, I'd be fine with it. And if they did, they would have been wise to announce that much like they did with DCA.

I don't think this has anything to do with GMR being an issue with the new park theme, but simply Iger and his boys looking for a big pre-existing building to shove Guardians into, regardless of theme. If Tower and Energy are also truly considerations, it simply proves this point. This could make Frozen look like a no brainer in Norway.

MikeTaylorSound

I'd say my biggest complaint with Hollywood Studios is people leaving Fantasmic! clogging up Sunset Blvd on their way out of the park. Utilize a park exit bypass (like MK), using a small portion of Perimeter Road and just south of the boat launch build a bridge to the parking lot/buses. Wait a minute, that'd be too nice, just let them walk around the front entrance.

dm11

This is starting to become a pattern: first Maelstrom -> FEA, then (substantiated) UOE -> GotG rumor, now GMR -> <some IP based ride>. Actually, if we count additions in DHS (SWE and TSL) it almost sounds like Uni's playbook over the last few years: pure additions mixed up with replacements for outdated attractions. Which is all good in theory. But in reality, is GMR really an outdated attraction? And even if it is, is the replacement appropriate response or rather it should be a serious refub/refresher? I absolutely agree that Maelstrom was outdated (honestly, not sure it was ever really good). And even though I personally like UOE, I can buy argument that it is outdated and needs a replacement. I do not see that with GMR though. I would absolutely love a serious refresh job, things like modern day AAs, perhaps some screenz were appropriate (only in moderation, please don't shoot me :)), movie lineup refresh, etc. But absolutely not a complete replacement. Whatever else is coming in there, it could and should be going into either an expansion space or in one of dead areas. This park needs more rides. Period. This in the end does not really help that much. Even if what comes in is actually better than GMR it is still close to zero net gain, unless it is a massive super-duper E-ticket that everybody will just love. Which somehow I doubt at this point. Keeping GMR and sprinkling some love (aka refreshments) on it, and building new ride elsewhere would seem like much more prudent course of action.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom