News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

yensidtlaw1969

Getting rid of this ride would be akin to the closing of Horizons at EPCOT.

By all means find ways to make it better, but please don't rob WDW of yet another ambitious AA dark ride. It's the kind of attraction that makes Disney's parks better than Universal's and others.

(and yes, I realize this request will do nothing to change Disney's mind)
The Great Movie Ride acts much as the park's Mission Statement.

The same can or could have been said at times for both Spaceship Earth and Horizons.

It would appear that the direction of the park is evolving, and that The Great Movie Ride will no longer speak to its mission.

I say this all in the defense of The Great Movie Ride -- removing such touchstones from the park will likely result in disastrous creative results. Look how Epcot is doing these days. At least Spaceship Earth still stands, but it is a shadow of its former self. Much like the park that surrounds it.

I've always felt that Animal Kingdom had this element missing at its heart -- It's Tough To Be A Bug is fun, but tonally incorrect for the vibrant, stunning landmark it inhabits. At Magic Kingdom, Cinderella Castle as it is has always been sufficient.

Attractions like The Great Movie Ride serve to introduce you where you are, remind you why you're here, and show you what it's all about. And, as is sad for many reasons, they just don't make 'em like that anymore.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, I thought I might be reaching. If Energy goes to GotG, then this ride system will go to the theme park graveyard.

What would you consider the structural elements, just the building itself?
Yes. It's a warehouse that will get a new ride system. This is the location where I alluded to a new park icon coming if they follow the plan to demo the Chinese Theatre. Now I hear the theatre facade may stay.

Mike S

This crap really doesn't surprise me anymore. This is one of the very last of a dying breed of classic "Disney Epics" but since it's not Pirates or Mansion I guess it's fine, right? :banghead:

If this goes along with Tower I'm seriously done feeling anything for this park. What point is there to celebrate Star Wars Land in an appropriate park if everything else that made that park great is tarnished beyond all rational thinking? Disney is too stupid to do this right. I should've known...

Let's not forget that this ride is from an era when Disney still had balls. Modern "Pixie-Dusted-Everything-Is-Magical" Disney wouldn't touch something like Alien with a 12 parsec pole.
I've heard both facade staying and facade changing. I believe if anything does happen everything structural behind the facade will remain either way.
Please say it'll be a similar kind of ride that deserves the status of being the centerpiece of a Hollywood themed park...
Wow. So a net gain of zero attractions here. *** is Disney doing?
The Walt Disney Company fully believes that the best way to enhance our park that's woefully under built is by playing musical attractions.

Have a magical day.
I do. What happened to the blessing of size.
Too expensive and the rubes don't care either way.
The Great Movie Ride acts much as the park's Mission Statement.

The same can or could have been said at times for both Spaceship Earth and Horizons.

It would appear that the direction of the park is evolving, and that The Great Movie Ride will no longer speak to its mission.

I say this all in the defense of The Great Movie Ride -- removing such touchstones from the park will likely result in disastrous creative results. Look how Epcot is doing these days. At least Spaceship Earth still stands, but it is a shadow of its former self. Much like the park that surrounds it.

I've always felt that Animal Kingdom had this element missing at its heart -- It's Tough To Be A Bug is fun, but tonally incorrect for the vibrant, stunning landmark it inhabits. At Magic Kingdom, Cinderella Castle as it is has always been sufficient.

Attractions like The Great Movie Ride serve to introduce you where you are, remind you why you're here, and show you what it's all about. And, as is sad for many reasons, they just don't make 'em like that anymore.
For Animal Kingdom that Mission Statement attraction would be Kilimanjaro Safari even though it's not in the center.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Nostalgia aside, it is about time to replace this ride. It just isn't that great anymore. I loved it for a long time but its run its course.

However I hope they keep the facade and I hope they have plans to expand and not just replace after toy story and Star Wars opens.

yensidtlaw1969

For Animal Kingdom that Mission Statement attraction would be Kilimanjaro Safari even though it's not in the center.

I suppose that's true enough, I just always wished something more appropriate would have taken up residence in The Tree of Life - the new Tree Awakening show is nice and along the right lines. It could have really been something if the Tree's attraction lived up to the aspirations of its exterior instead of being a merely-fun aside.

Clearly, the days where it would have been reasonable to expect anything like that are long, long gone.

PorterRedkey

Yes. It's a warehouse that will get a new ride system. This is the location where I alluded to a new park icon coming if they follow the plan to demo the Chinese Theatre. Now I hear the theatre facade may stay.
Can you say how the facade will still fit the new attractions? If not, I understand. I would just feel better if I knew something cool is coming instead of a dumb IP ride or any 4 or 5-minute replacement.

Long rides are cool! Especially when dark rides are concerned. It is hard to be immersed in 4 minutes.

Mike S

I suppose that's true enough, I just always wished something more appropriate would have taken up residence in The Tree of Life - the new Tree Awakening show is nice and along the right lines. It could have really been something if the Tree's attraction lived up to the aspirations of its exterior instead of being a merely-fun aside.

Clearly, the days where it would have been reasonable to expect anything like that are long, long gone.
I think ITtBAB is a fine show and fits great where it is inside of a tree.

wdwfan4ver

I had a bad feeling this might be happening when the attraction only updated the screens.

Since Disney is now going to touch Hollywood BLVD, I have a feeling that Sunset BLVD is going to be messed with. I'm guessing Disney is going touch TOT, Rock'n Roller Coaster, Star Tours: The Adventure Continues besides The Great Movie Ride.

I have to shake my head about the two BLVD lands in terms of why it appears Disney wants to do changes like TOT overlay still being a possibility as an example. They really don't the issues like Animation Courtyard has currently. Star Wars Launch Bay doesn't belong in Animation Court Yard. Voyage of the Little Mermaid is aging as a stage show and the fact Disney is using the theater park of One Man's Dream for Movie Previews instead of the telling of Walt Disney himself speaks problems in that area of the park.

Last edited:

Biff215

Nostalgia aside, it is about time to replace this ride. It just isn't that great anymore. I loved it for a long time but its run its course.

However I hope they keep the facade and I hope they have plans to expand and not just replace after toy story and Star Wars opens.
Completely disagree. I rode it last week with my two young kids and a packed ride vehicle. Everyone appeared to love it, young and old, and everything looked the best it has in years. The script might be a little tired, but that's a cheap fix if needed. It might not your favorite, but I think saying "it has run its course" might be a bit strong.

Again I'll say the only logical reason to replace this ride is if the park's theme is changing entirely. And that is unnecessary and would be a huge mistake IMO.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Completely disagree. I rode it last week with my two young kids and a packed ride vehicle. Everyone appeared to love it, young and old, and everything looked the best it has in years. The script might be a little tired, but that's a cheap fix if needed. It might not your favorite, but I think saying "it has run its course" might be a bit strong.

Again I'll say the only logical reason to replace this ride is if the park's theme is changing entirely. And that is unnecessary and would be a huge mistake IMO.

Thanks for this. I do actually still ride it when I go. I just think it is time for something new. With a full lineup of attractions at DHS (whenever that happens) would it still draw crowds? I have my doubts.

Keep the facade though.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

The Wizard of Oz room is still awe-inspiring.
My next favourite aspect is the movie montage at the end.

I find the attraction is still worth riding a couple of times/trip, but something new, fresh, innovative, and the same duration would also be nice. But please, please do not take away a 22-minute ride and replace it with something much shorter!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom