1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by TheVisionarySoul, Aug 2, 2016.

1. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Hopefully this managed to capture as much of the attraction as possible, in the highest possible (for a fan) picture and sound quality.

2. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

Today
    [​IMG]

3. trainplane3

trainplane3 Well-Known Member

When I was in the park, it peaked at 85 minutes but settled to 70 min. That looks like it broke 100?

Mike S likes this.
  4. Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing Well-Known Member

I had some great ones on M:B, but I also had one who ended up flirting with some drunk girls for about 3 minutes, which was awkward.

Mike S likes this.
  5. BasiltheBatLord

BasiltheBatLord Well-Known Member

Jeez. Looking at this photo is the first time it's really hit me.

Last day of operation is tomorrow though right? Not today.

brb1006 and Mike S like this.
  6. brb1006

Yeah tomorrow will be the final day for this and Universe Of Energy (With Ellen) to be in operation.

7. Andsome

Andsome Active Member

And management thought this ride wasn't doing numbers....

HMF and brb1006 like this.
  8. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

Most of it is likely due to it closing. This is in no way normal for this ride.

9. Andsome

Andsome Active Member

I was exaggerating a bit about that, I'm just so happy to see the turnout. It is a testament to how much this ride meant to many of us.

Princess Leia and Herbie like this.
  10. rocketraccoon

rocketraccoon Well-Known Member

Hey, if they say that every ride is closing every single day then it'll draw in tons of guests to the parks, right? It's a foolproof strategy.

MaxW, sunsetblvd26, HMF and 4 others like this.
  11. Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing Well-Known Member

Sort of like how Maelstrom suddenly saw massive crowds on it's last day.

12. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

Or how HWS had parking capacity closures (daily) due to Osbourne Lights.

13. Disney Dad 3000

Disney Dad 3000 Well-Known Member

I know it gets said a great deal with your videos, but thank you for putting something of this quality together for the attraction. Really glad to have something like this to look back on.
    I knew I was angry and sad with this happening, but didn't realize how much more until these last few days have approached. Life will go on, but it's just insanely stupid that a ride like this, in this park, no matter it's present and future, couldn't have easily existed and thrived

14. Dizney Crew

Dizney Crew Active Member

Rode the GMR one last time Wed night (hadn't done this attraction in about a year), we had a FP but stand by wasn't too bad under an hour. I was honestly expecting the CM's to put on a little better performance being that this was getting to the end, but sadly it seemed that they more or less mailed it in, which was how it was last time we rode it. Also it was sad that they still couldn't get some of the effects to work for the last few weeks for visitors, the Fantasmic scene could have had the wind effect working and they still can't get both propellers working on the plane scene?!? These seem like simple enough effects that could have been fixed for the rides send off.

It was nice seeing it one last time (had to cancel our FP for Sunday due to scheduling conflicts), but I'm not shedding any tears for this ride, it is beyond dated and it is time for something new. Thats a Wrap GMR!!!!!! Bring on the Mickey ride!!!

15. raymusiccity

raymusiccity Well-Known Member

Sad, but true. This is what the wait was like on June 7th, 2:30 in the afternoon:
    IMG_20170617_161216263.jpg

16. brb1006

Hope somebody takes a picture if this same area when it gets packed tomorrow.

17. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member

Any significance of showing the final scene from Gone With The Wind in the photo? Trying to make a point? "Frankly, my dear..."

18. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

Ah, The Cartmanland strategy.

MaxW, Wespionage, Tom Morrow and 4 others like this.
  19. Casper Gutman

Casper Gutman Well-Known Member

It's almost like, even though such rides may not always draw the longest lines, they are still a key part of why fans love WDW and are willing to spend exorbitant amounts to go there. And if you keep chipping away at that base...

You know, if WDW had four complete parks, replacing attractions would be fine. But they don't. They have one complete park, one very nearly complete park, and two embarrassingly incomplete parks. Even after its big "renovation," MGM will still not be a complete park. Replacing rides under those circumstances is just another sign that WDW has no interest in rectifying that incompleteness.

20. G00fyDad

G00fyDad Well-Known Member

People say that this ride was always dead (and I am obviously not doubting you here) but every time I have ridden it the ride had more people than in this photo. It was by no means packed but there was a line of people that filled at least 5 rows of the "cattle gate" queue before going through the doors. I wonder if the low capacity is a recent thing.

brb1006, Mike S and Kman101 like this.