News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Casper Gutman

I don't mind the current versions of the characters - I think the cartoons are cute and capture some of the classic feeling.

But they have to know these versions won't last long, right? They're very "contemporary" - they were designed to be, to fit into current trends in animation. This ride will be outdated very fast.

And it's a very odd choice to be the centerpiece of a major park.

On another note, people better stop complaining about all the screens at Universal...

Peter Pano

I was actually really looking forward to a Great Mickey Ride, what a wonderful opportunity to revisit and honor the classic cartoons! Until I saw the odd design choices presented today. Using the new flashy character design and overly exaggerated animation style, which are far from the widely accepted "classic" image of Mickey, goes directly against the idea of a timeless celebration of this iconic character.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm lost on what the ride will be according to the description. Is it a screen ride?
Based on the description, yes it is a screen ride. I doubt there will be many physical elements if any at all.

It sounds like they are using multiple layers for the projection surfaces to create 3 dimensional depth for the animation. Disney recently did this for some of the projections in Navi River, and Universal did it for the Harry Potter queues. Some of the Shanghai rides do as well (like Peter Pan and I think Pirates).

Last edited:

brb1006

eh..
DEz1zOBUIAA2J08.jpg

DEz1zOAUIAArw8F.jpg

couldn't you at least have used classic Mickey over the 2013 shorts one.:rolleyes:
Jim Hill was right!

brb1006

this is tacky AF how are they gonna put this in the chinese theater?? mickey through the ages would've made much more sense with the theming of the attraction! plus does anyone actually like those (trash) shorts they put out?? i'm not happy, and it doesn't soften the blow that GMR is being replaced a ride better suited to fit in the "hollywoood history" type of theming that currently stands. instead their selling out and trying to force IPs in by replacing it with something tacky that doesn't match at all. they're only justifying it by saying "it's like being immersed in a disney short!" #notmydisneyshort

are they DEFINITELY keeping the chinese theater facade and the handprints outside? (@marni1971)
But I like the new shorts :(

aladdin2007

I was actually really looking forward to a Great Mickey Ride, what a wonderful opportunity to revisit and honor the classic cartoons! Until I saw the odd design choices presented today. Using the new flashy character design and overly exaggerated animation style, which are far from the widely accepted "classic" image of Mickey, goes directly against the idea of a timeless celebration of this iconic character.

I agree, I am gutted they are doing this. I was all for it until finding out its based on that silly cartoon series. how do they get away with calling this runaway railroad in the grand chinese theater of movies??? They truly have screws loose.

ToTBellHop

what about the handprints? (@marni1971)
I don't know that level of detail. I would imagine it still needs to look like the real theatre until guests are pulled out of the theatre.

This will be a fun ride--wait til you see the ride system they didn't talk about! It'll have some impressive visuals but I admit I don't really care for the Mickey aesthetic and wish they had gone classic.

BasiltheBatLord

Oh whoops. Forgot that the storyline is that you enter a movie screen. Good thing the facade will stay then.

I don't mind the character design all that much, for the reason that it looks pretty close to old-school pie-eyed Mickey (which is what I was hoping this would be based on). My biggest concern is that they won't use the entirety of the show building and it'll be like original Imagination where half the rest of the building is left empty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom