Disney negotiating the LOTR rights!

ToTBellHop

I believe it could be real, but that seems like an insane price for Disney to pay for just for rights. Are they talking about getting full ownership of them (as opposed to just licensing)? Given the massive bucket of IP Disney already owns, it doesn't make much sense to me for them for them to spend anything in that range when they could use that money to just better develop properties they already have.

$2B could pay for a bunch of rides and TV/movies productions off of stuff they already own like Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, etc.
They imagine a significant expanded universe on Disney+, video games, and more. Imagine if Comcast had that kind of rights for Harry Potter. This would be huge, but let’s wait to see if it happens.

Robbiem

Both DHS and DAK could be fits. I’ll be more interested when they inevitably try to shoehorn it into DCA lol

“Because the Ents look a bit like Redwoods, we are excited to announce our new Soarin’ Over Middle Earth attraction!”

View attachment 625000
Or alternatively The Mandalorian takes grogu to meet the ewoks in the next series and we get soaring over endor a star wars storyventure 😀✌️

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney's Lord of the Rings. Not to be confused with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Honestly, anything Disney touches, I cringe now. They'll market it with their now-standard "storytelling" and "immersive" verbiage. Spend a billion-plus on land with 2 rides, which should only cost 1/2 of that, and have 12 different shops selling merchandise plus colored food options to make it "feel authentic". It's like we've heard that story somewhere before...

JoeCamel

No, but maybe Smaug can be the dragon we've been waiting 25 years to see in the park?

(yes I know that's Hobbit not LotR)
So you want to stab puppets?

So was watching a video of hhn25 jacks carnage returns, and he makes a joke about puppet dying. and then i remember bill and ted that year had a joke about puppet dying aswell. So, what is puppet dying? I'm trying to think if its something pop culture i am missing but cant think of anything.
Smaug from The Hobbit was featured in Bill and Ted. He was a puppet, obviously, that looked closer to a Chinese Dragon than a medieval looking one and featured a gentile southern accent. Anywho, he was stabbed, and as he died, he exclaimed “I’m dyin y’all! I’m puppetttt dyinnnn....”
Yeah, not trying to be a smart alac, it was one of those you had to be there kind of jokes to really appreciate it haha

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney's Lord of the Rings. Not to be confused with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Honestly, anything Disney touches, I cringe now. They'll market it with their now-standard "storytelling" and "immersive" verbiage. Spend a billion-plus on land with 2 rides, which should only cost 1/2 of that, and have 12 different shops selling merchandise plus colored food options to make it "feel authentic". It's like we've heard that story somewhere before...
Pandora? Galaxy’s Edge? Toy Story Land? All successful additions.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
One of those was successful. One is pretty but grossly underdelivered. The other was a waste of space for what they gave us.

I totally share this, and the people who think LOTR doesn't fit with Disney, then why Star Wars fit?

It doesn't. It's been mishandled, for the most part.

Jphaddad96

Original Poster
One of those was successful. One is pretty but grossly underdelivered. The other was a waste of space for what they gave us.

Let me guess,

Pandora --> Successful
ToyStoryLand --> Grossly Underdelivered
Star Wars --> Waste of space for what they gave us?

If Disney bring Peter Jackson to work in a possible theme park, like James Cameron in Pandora the World of Avatar, I have many expectation of what he can gave to us...

sullyinMT

They may be successful from a monetary standpoint. And I certainly won't stand on a high horse and pretend to not have enjoyed all 3 to some extent, parting with my money along the way. But Pandora is the one that is a well executed land from all facets (rides, food, merch, AND "feel"). I agree with the sentiment, however, that SW:GE falls flat after Pandora. As a Disney owned (now) IP, I share with others in the feeling that Batuu did not get the love it deserved. I don't even hate the "new planet" idea so that the land could "age" as the SW universe expands and ages. As for Andy's Back Yard, his parents really need to plant some mature trees or something. It' a haphazard attempt to add a land to a long neglected park up until that point. I smile like a child on SDD, and even enjoy AS.., but land execution? Not so much. Some of the Peanuts areas in Cedar Fair parks (not all) are just as good. Camp Snoopy in Carowinds is the highlight of that park - an admittedly low bar in the Carolinas.

I think what some of the critics, myself included, are saying is that current Disney would find a way to mess this slam dunk up. It should be as easy as WWoHP in the parks, and the stories are already written for a generation of new screen and gaming content. But they'll just sell some new Ranger Ale and cheap merch. Maybe not, maybe they'd treat Tolkien with respect, awe and dignity. But I doubt it.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
lord of the rings eating GIF

WDWFREAK53

Honestly don't get the fit with Disney. I totally get wanting to hold movie rights and potential expansion of story on D+, but I don't see a good fit at all in the Parks. Unless this is the key to...... a 5th Gate? Which I don't think they ever want to do.

Seriously, this is a bit... I don't know .. Teen and young adult focused vs. Disney?
To me, if they were going for a 5th gate around one theme/IP, Star Wars would’ve been it. Nothing about LotR screams “theme park” to me. I’m sure it would be a great addition but to some this is the end-all-be-all for theme park lands. I’m for any and all well-themed lands in a theme park so if/when it does get built, it’ll be interesting to see how it’s executed.

So Over It

I've said this elsewhere, and I'll say it here... I have no doubt a LOTR land can be beautifully done. There's potential for amazing architecture, landscape theming, etc. What I have questions about is how well the saga translates to ride material.

Whereas in the Potter universe, you have different transportation methods throughout all the stories such as flying on broomsticks, dragons, hippogriff, more broomsticks, and more creatures.... in LOTR it's mostly done all on foot, minus the barrel scene from the Hobbit trilogy, and the rare eagle encounters.

Sir_Cliff

They imagine a significant expanded universe on Disney+, video games, and more. Imagine if Comcast had that kind of rights for Harry Potter. This would be huge, but let’s wait to see if it happens.
I was inclined to agree that $2billion seems a lot to pay for a company that is not hurting for major IPs already. That said, what you outline sounds exactly how they are developing Disney+ with the Marvel and Star Wars IPs. New series based around LoTR would actually be a good fit if that's the route they're going with their original series (i.e. expanding the universe of already successful franchises). That, I imagine, is more where their head is than what they can do with the IP in the parks, though I'm sure they see that as a selling point, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom