News Disney names D’Amaro as Chairman Disney Parks Experiences and Products

peter11435

Whatever.

It’s not the “mentality” I was hoping for...
“Whatever,” what are you 12? I thought you were better than that and appreciated knowledge and accuracy. No reason to mislead people into believing the division is something other than what it is.

Jeff certainly wouldn’t be my first choice. However this has nothing to do with his recent role at Disney Signature Services. After all, 3 out of 4 of those businesses represent the highest quality products Disney parks offers today.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The president of Disneyland Resort during the 60th was actually Michael Colglazier. D’Amaro took over as Disneyland in early 2018. In a little over two years Josh has gone from a Disney World Vice President to head of the whole division.

He has no accomplishments. He’s not been allowed to stay in one place long enough to give us a feel of his leadership. His tenure as president of Disneyland Resort saw Disneyland enter into one of its most challenging periods since Disney California Adventure launched.

This is not to say he his a bad executive. He seems like a nice guy who may care. But we don’t have a clue.
Excellent points.

It’s probably on purpose. If you’ve no major investment in the parks, it sets the “baseline” with everyone from Wall Street down to the ticket booth that nothing is expected or guaranteed.

Just a face to put on the wall. Like PP...only this guy at least seems personable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“Whatever,” what are you 12? I thought you were better than that and appreciated knowledge and accuracy. No reason to mislead people into believing the division is something other than what it is.

Jeff certainly wouldn’t be my first choice. However this has nothing to do with his recent role at Disney Signature Services. After all, 3 out of 4 of those businesses represent the highest quality products Disney parks offers today.
I typically do...

But I’m not a particular fan of “disneyeze”...their labels and “pre-approved” vocabulary is a bunch of dung in my opinion.

So I’m selectively “mentally lazy” here.

You’ve probably seen me rail about “experiences” in the past...which is a blatant, misdirecting dog whistle.

3 of 4 of those products are also perhaps the most overpriced products in the Portfolio as well. I couldn’t help to notice the correlation.

Mouse Trap

Everyone seems to love Josh -- he's a charismatic guy, knows how to position himself for his audience on social media and actually spent a considerable amount of time in the parks speaking with CM's and guests.

But what policies, improvements, etc has he put in place that have improved the parks other than being a nice guy? His time was relatively short at Disneyland, certainly not long enough to make an impact as WDW Prez and I don't know much about his tenure at Animal Kingdom.

Anyone have insight on this?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everyone seems to love Josh -- he's a charismatic guy, knows how to position himself for his audience on social media and actually spent a considerable amount of time in the parks speaking with CM's and guests.

But what policies, improvements, etc has he put in place that have improved the parks other than being a nice guy? His time was relatively short at Disneyland, certainly not long enough to make an impact at WDW and I don't know much about his tenure at Animal Kingdom.

☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

jpeden

In the Parks
No

But what policies, improvements, etc has he put in place that have improved the parks other than being a nice guy? His time was relatively short at Disneyland, certainly not long enough to make an impact as WDW Prez and I don't know much about his tenure at Animal Kingdom.

From my understanding he was a big advocate of front-line cast members and trying to find ways to boost their morale. I know some will write it off but little things like working to provide better choices in the CM cafeterias and renovating break rooms that many have described as dumps goes a long way with front-line employees.

I work in an organization where the front line workers very much so see it as a "them against us" mentality with me falling into the "them" since I'm in administration. I have seen first hand how little things can vastly improve morale because it at least shows you care (or for some, gives the appearance if they really don't care) about your employees.

In my book, improving the parks experience starts with improving the CM morale - things will naturally flow from there. Now, I agree he wasn't at WDW long enough to really see any of his initiatives through, which is a shame. But someone sees something in him to give him what is essentially the #2 job in all of TWDC. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Unfortunately with the COVID crisis any changes that he may have wanted to make have probably been waysided by financial concerns.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
It sounds like there's more interest in D'Amaro's future D23 style more so than the substance. There's a lot to worry about how much they'll have for new capital expenditures for D'Amato to show his own merit more than just completing Chapek's already begun projects.

But if capex is truly limited for years, what better than a smooth talking PR guy who can make more modest investments in the "people" side that Chapek neglected? Improvement of morale across the segment can go a long way to improving the "service" component that has eroded over the years. In that way, good on Chapek to acknowledge a weakness and place someone who can fill those weaknesses.

DisneyOutsider

Seriously.. I just can't even imagine the burden some of you must carry over into your personal lives being so hopelessly and aggressively pessimistic over every.single.thing.

The portfolio that Vahle has been overseeing is unquestionably the most impressive group of offerings that Disney has from a guest-satisfaction standpoint. Aulani is the crown jewel of Disney hotels the whole world over and it's not even close. No current Disney offering takes care of their guests more currently than DCL. It doesn't mean Vahle will be great in this role... it's a very different role than what he's used to. But there's some reasons for hope that he understands more than just dollars and cents.

As for D'Amaro... he's the real deal. It's not up for debate that he's been great for Cast Member morale at every stop along his path. It's not even a discussion. He's the anti-Chapek in every observable metric. From cast members to media to just Disney fans off the street, everyone I know that comes into contact with him loves the guy(I realize that to some of you this observation just means that he's a devious snake just telling people what they want to hear before he goes and revels in his true identity as a back-stabbing corporate drone.. thanks for the amusement). That doesn't mean he has Carte Blanche to make everything exactly how he wants it and how we want to see it.. of course he doesn't and neither did Chapek, but it's absolutely a positive to have a true parks person in this role rather than Chapek, who's... not. a parks person.

Mouse Trap

From my understanding he was a big advocate of front-line cast members and trying to find ways to boost their morale. I know some will write it off but little things like working to provide better choices in the CM cafeterias and renovating break rooms that many have described as dumps goes a long way with front-line employees.

I work in an organization where the front line workers very much so see it as a "them against us" mentality with me falling into the "them" since I'm in administration. I have seen first hand how little things can vastly improve morale because it at least shows you care (or for some, gives the appearance if they really don't care) about your employees.

In my book, improving the parks experience starts with improving the CM morale - things will naturally flow from there. Now, I agree he wasn't at WDW long enough to really see any of his initiatives through, which is a shame. But someone sees something in him to give him what is essentially the #2 job in all of TWDC. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Unfortunately with the COVID crisis any changes that he may have wanted to make have probably been waysided by financial concerns.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is there's a lot he has said, posted and discussed, but what do we know about what he's actually done? Have break rooms been renovated at any park he's overseen? Has he launched any tangible special initiatives or perks for CM's? Has he made any decisions that have created a positive experience for guests in park?

I'm not questioning if he's a good guy or deserving of the position -- I'm just trying to figure out what he's actually implemented because it would be a shame if he's all talk.

rreading

Ouch, not good for WDW.

Jeff is from all the aspects of the Disney money-grab machine - otherwise known as DVC, Adventures by Disney and Signature Experience. No park experience. Does not bode well.

Adventures by Disney is so well done - expensive but worth it. I've really enjoyed DVC, and have felt good about their decisions. I can't speak to the Signature Experience but it seems that he knows a good product. He will need to take his cues from Josh but should keep WDW looking good.

If you're not interested in a quality experience, then there's a Six Flags down the street from you ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seriously.. I just can't even imagine the burden some of you must carry over into your personal lives being so hopelessly and aggressively pessimistic over every.single.thing.

The portfolio that Vahle has been overseeing is unquestionably the most impressive group of offerings that Disney has from a guest-satisfaction standpoint. Aulani is the crown jewel of Disney hotels the whole world over and it's not even close. No current Disney offering takes care of their guests more currently than DCL. It doesn't mean Vahle will be great in this role... it's a very different role than what he's used to. But there's some reasons for hope that he understands more than just dollars and cents.

As for D'Amaro... he's the real deal. It's not up for debate that he's been great for Cast Member morale at every stop along his path. It's not even a discussion. He's the anti-Chapek in every observable metric. From cast members to media to just Disney fans off the street, everyone I know that comes into contact with him loves the guy(I realize that to some of you this observation just means that he's a devious snake just telling people what they want to hear before he goes and revels in his true identity as a back-stabbing corporate drone.. thanks for the amusement). That doesn't mean he has Carte Blanche to make everything exactly how he wants it and how we want to see it.. of course he doesn't and neither did Chapek, but it's absolutely a positive to have a true parks person in this role rather than Chapek, who's... not. a parks person.
I’m wondering why you picked you’re name? 🤪

There are going to be questions of any appointment. It’s part of the process.

I think you take on Aulani is entirely pro-Disney. As is DCL.

But the beauty of it is...our opinions vary.

rreading

He graduated from Georgia Tech with a Mechanical Engineering Degree
He was the Manager of MK Engineering Support services in the mid 90's, basically as the money guy in charge of Engineering
In 1997 he was selected to head up the Engineering team to open up Animal Kingdom
After that he got promoted to Director of Engineering Services for Walt Disney World
Then he was promoted to Head of Worldwide Engineering Services of all the Disney Parks
And several other positions and now coming back to WDW

Interesting that coming from that background, we went to Signature Services. Kind of a diverse awareness of what's going on in the parks

Animaniac93-98

Iger's attitude towards the parks has been this from the start:

- Theme parks are too expensive to operate
- Major investments in theme parks should be avoided unless absolutely necessary
- It is easier and better to develop and promote extra-pay options than infrastructure that does not have its own revenue stream (rides)
- Theme parks are a marketing tool for other divisions. Not building rides based on Disney movies is a waste of time
- People will pay whatever we ask them, because the people who like theme parks are dumb and have no taste

Until the big Bobs leave, Josh (or anyone else) will not change this attitude. Especially if budgets have been slashed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom