Disney-MGM Studios Memories

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Original Poster
20160520_205258.jpg

So it's Saturday night and here I am relaxing and listening to my Sunset Boulevard/ToT playlist. As I sit here and write this, I'm thinking about the future of DHS and how much it's changed since it's inception. I'm not here to discuss the merits of the changes or whether the direction that the park is headed in is the right one. I'm not qualified to make those assessments nor am I going to pretend I am. I'm strictly a fan of Disney, in a nostalgic way and in it's present form.

With that being said, I'm curious to know what some of your favorite memories of Disney-MGM Studios, Hollywood Studios, etc are? What are/were some of your favorite experiences at the park? I chose DHS because it is the park that may indeed be going through the most radical changes at WDW.

For me, I'll never forget the first time I walked down Sunset Boulevard and rode the ToT back in August of 1994. In my eyes, this whole area of the park represents the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering of the last 25 years. The whole area does a great job of immersing you in the "Golden Age of Hollywood" motif with the architecture and music. It does an amazing job of building you up to ride ToT. I'll never forget waiting in the queue and watching elevator after elevator fall. The neon glow of the signage buzzing in the summer night only added to the mystique of this ride. Then stepping into the lobby took my 12 year old breath away. It felt like stepping back into 1939. Fast forward to the ride. Everything was awe inspiring. The 5 souls lost, the window breaking, the 5th dimension scene. Then the single fall. It was incredible.

To me, this area at DHS is sacred. I still stand in awe of the ToT each time I go. With that being said, what are your fondest memories of MGM/DHS?

Last edited:

mf1972

I remember being there a month after it opened back in 1989. the place was packed. i don't remember doing much except for the movie ride, catastrophe canyon, & a recording studio walk through.
my 2nd best memory would be seeing the Osborne lights for the 1st time. I was impressed.
I still call the park MGM. bad habit.

Matt_Black

From back when it was a working studio- my family was in line at the Backlot Tour. My brother starts saying that he saw a family from our church. My mother says don't be silly. We go a little further and it turns out it WAS that family; by complete coincidence, they took a Florida vacation to WDW at the same time we did and ended up in the line at approximately the same time. My dad: "You know, we go to Florida to get AWAY from you people." Their dad wound up being in the boat for the one demonstration.

Another, more recent- being one of the singers for the American Idol Experience show. Just an amazing... well, experience!

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Original Poster
I remember being there a month after it opened back in 1989. the place was packed. i don't remember doing much except for the movie ride, catastrophe canyon, & a recording studio walk through.
my 2nd best memory would be seeing the Osborne lights for the 1st time. I was impressed.
I still call the park MGM. bad habit.
Old habits die hard right? Haha

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Original Poster
From back when it was a working studio- my family was in line at the Backlot Tour. My brother starts saying that he saw a family from our church. My mother says don't be silly. We go a little further and it turns out it WAS that family; by complete coincidence, they took a Florida vacation to WDW at the same time we did and ended up in the line at approximately the same time. My dad: "You know, we go to Florida to get AWAY from you people." Their dad wound up being in the boat for the one demonstration.

Another, more recent- being one of the singers for the American Idol Experience show. Just an amazing... well, experience!
It's a small world after all, right? Haha

JIMINYCR

Very first ride on ToT shortly after it opened with DW & DS. Only time DW got to ride it. Glad I bought the photo to remember it by.

RnRC, riding 5 times in a row with DS. It was on an evening EMH and we hit it late when very few guests remained in the park. just kept jumping on after each ride. DS loved it, my stomach was beginning to get queasy after 5 rides in a row.

Our first December trip, seeing the magnificent Osborne lights and listening to the synchronized music. We had never seen anything like it before. It made Christmas at Disney our favorite time of year to go.

Watching a friend who was vacationing with us get picked to play a part in the Indy show.

Getting stopped by street characters on Hollywood Blvd. and being part of their act.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I laughed at your story of running into a family from your home town because when I was a kid a similar thing happened to us. It was at the MK and my mom, sister and I went into the Emporium to shop and my dad stayed outside. We were in there only about 15-20 minutes and by the time we came out my dad listed three families from our hometown (ironically all in my class) that he had said hi to. Proves it's a small world after all.

Anyway, back on track. I went to MGM about a month after it opened as well. I remember waiting forever for the Backlot Tour and being a little bored on it once we finally got on, in my defense I was 12 at the time. Another thing I remember was the daily celebrity that would put their handprints in the cement in front of the theater. Too bad they don't do that anymore, although I suppose it was costly to get the celebs to show up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom