Disney-MGM Studios Backlot Tour

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
studio tour '90 and DLP WDS tram tour

DME - I remember the original tour too. 2 hours long, no pedestrians on New York Street, the ________ Tracey shoot out in front of the tram (I think the side street by where Pochohontas show was) and when you got off the tram, straight into the walking tour. All one attraction.

Now, regarding the DLP tram. Once you board, you travel through a forest with the boneyard in. Then past the Dinotopia movie sets. Through Catastrophe Canyon (identical to D-MGM), round the back of the canyon, through wardrobe and pass the tram station. Next up is a car boneyard, then the Reign of Fire set (very well built, but poorley executed - how scary is a jet of flame from a crater..) and then you loop back behind this set. Along side the stunt arena. In a little backstage area you may see the cars or bikes leaving the arena (you travel behind the stunt set) or see a stuntman practising (we passed between shows and got a motorbike pull a wheelie along side our tram). You get a peak into the garage where the cars are maintained, then back to the station.

Anymore questions about DLP, feel free to post.

ogryn

Re: studio tour '90 and DLP WDS tram tour

Originally posted by marni1971
<snip> how scary is a jet of flame from a crater..)</snip>

I know. It the area is really great. If only a huge AA dragon came out and breathed fire.... now that would be cool. Do be honest, I was expecting at least a dragons head.

I can't see them adding A RoF scene at MGM though, as the film wasn't a huge success.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree. They need something though, or it really be a tour of the parking lots. If anything, just make it a drive through of Catastrophe Canyon (like Universals Earthquake). Maybe even cover the canyon, make it an attraction in its own right. It just seems so isolated now.

Figment1986

there has to be some blockbuster that could add to this, besides adding a pirates overlay to the water tank (if they really are, and i hope), add a new thing to the tour with action, like how paris has more to do,

DonaldDuck

Originally posted by DME
Actually I remember when the backstage tour started was 2 hours long and it included the tram ride, the water show and the animation tour. This is back when the NY Street was closed to pedestrians and the tram would drive around the street and stop in the Chinese section which was decorated in bold colors like ________ Tracey and they had a little cop and robbers show for the tram audience. Anyone else remember that? Then a few years later they split the 2 hour ride up into two halves, the backlot tour and the animator tour.

I remember this too, vaguely. It was back in 1990, and I was only 7 at the time, and I remember it mostly because we have part of it on tape. We have at least Catastrophe Canyon and the ________ Tracy shootout on the tape. That's back when the Backlot Tour was a big, long event. With the addition of ToT, RnRC, and more shows, the backlot tour didn't need to be so long. There's more to do now, and people probably don't want to spend a good portion of their day in one ride.

jeroenalex

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
Does anyone know if the tour in Paris shows anything of the stunt show?

Nope, it doesn't. You can only see some vehicles that are used during the show standing on a parking lot, but it isn't officially a part of the tour. Also, you can only see them because the bushes between the tour and the parking lot aren't big enough to hide them (yet).

Tim G

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
Speaking about the tour and stunt show in Paris... Does anyone know if the tour in Paris shows anything of the stunt show?

Thanks!

After the last stunt show, one car keeps spinning over and over again.. as a fixed setup...

You can see it from the train during the backlot tour.

ImagineerFan04

Hopfully if they get ride of the Indy Stunt Show(which i hope they do) and add an Indy Adventure they can put the props from the stunt show like the plane and the shops sets in to the backlot tour and they could have it explode and have a various stuntman do a stunt.Hopefully they use the props atleast if they close the Indy Show.

Woody13

Just returned from WDW. On the new Disney-MGM Studios Guidemap, there is no mention of the backlot tour and the Catastrophe Canyon picture has been removed from the map. The map now shows a green area with the words "Future Attraction Site". Why would they remove it from the map if they intended to reopen the attraction in April?

MonorailGreen

Original Poster
Originally posted by Woody13
Just returned from WDW. On the new Disney-MGM Studios Guidemap, there is no mention of the backlot tour and the Catastrophe Canyon picture has been removed from the map. The map now shows a green area with the words "Future Attraction Site". Why would they remove it from the map if they intended to reopen the attraction in April?

That is a good point... when it comes off the map it is usually gone for good!! Anybody have any more info on a possible reopening??

Not For Sale

My ideas:

keep the tram
keep catastrophe canyon
have a section of the tour dedicated to Walt and his ideas
have the tram tour go into the motor stunt show (like have cars jumping over it and stuff)

TnkrBelPixiDust

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
I saw an alarming update about this today on Mouseplanet...

…Rumors are starting to emerge that the Backlot Tour at the Disney-MGM Studios may not return from its scheduled rehab on April 1, or indeed, at all. With the demolition of Residential Street, it has been suggested that there just isn't enough left on the tour (aside from Catastrophe Canyon) to continue running it. If we get any hard information on this, we'll pass it along.
I think one of the worst things they did was take away residential street!!! Im a HUGE Golden Girls fan and just seeing the house made my trip even more magical. :lol: LOL :lol:. I know that may sound cheezy to some of ya'all however when my friend Meg came home from WDW in August and told me I was speechless!!!:zipit: Arrggh... so many changes all for a stunt show!:brick:

awallaceunc

I signed up today just to complain about the Golden Girls house being destroyed! :lol:

Ok, not really...

But I do hate that it's gone! It was one of the highlights of MGM for me!

Anyhoo, so if the tour does open back up for the summer, it will basically be ONLY Catastrophe Canyon, right? I mean, the harbor stunt show is destructed (right?), and residential street is destructed, so what else is left?

-Aaron

Figment1986

I believe the harbor special effects tank is still intact, dont think it was removed especially with the rumor of changing it again from Pearl Harbor to Pirates of the Carribean...

I think their is still some things to see, like whats left sitting in the mini bone yards and some more of backstage.

and the ATAS Hall Of Fame is still accesible, as far as i know.

DarkMeasures

Originally posted by General Grizz
Anyone remember when it was the bumble bee?? :D

I do!!! When I went in 1995 or whatever. (When AE just opened and so did innoventions)

I remember, a kid was chosen and went on a giant bee infront of a BLue Screen and it looked like the kid was in Honey, I shrunk the Kids.

I also remember a lottery film they showed.

I actually enjoyed the tour in later years though when they had the Sheena Set and then the 101 Dalmations set.

I find it sad that Disney MGM Studios died on its original purpose. But its new purpose is also good. It's more of a direct competion to Universal Studios and just like both, they are out of expansion room...

You think that Disney MGM Studios will ever result into building a parking garage for further expansion?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember the Bee too! Ive got the tour on home video from 1990. And I remember the lottery film - wish I could get it on the net. I also remember the Mickey and Eisner movie (`look, I can even be a corporate symbol!`) LOL!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom