News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanual757

As an OC resident and someone who has watched several briefings of his over the past 16 months, Demings seems like he truly has the best health interests for his residents and hospitals in mind and I respect him for that.

Yes a local resident as well and I believe Mayor Demings actually cares and he is not a puppet for someone else. To be blunt the blame is 100% on those folks who know darn well they are unvaccinated and continue to go out in public with out masks and put others at risk. I am 100% vaccinated and I started to wear my mask again out in public 2 weeks ago because of the numbers getting out of hand. Sorry my body my choice is BS IMHO does not out weigh the public safety of others around you.

We mandate seat belts, we mandate vaccines this vaccine needs to be mandated. Hell other countries would love to be in the situation we are with plenty of vaccines and we have folks who think this is a joke. We are the joke by not giving a care I understand we have folks in certain situations that cannot get vaccines but those who say no thinks (I know several) I just shake my head.

Last edited:

Otterhead

Demmings could probably try to declare a new local emergency due to the current spike which could last 42 days if it isn't invalidated by the Governor. However, since the law says that EOs can't be replaced with substantially similar orders there will likely be immediate law suits and a court may invalidate the new order.
This is a good point. Likely his best option is to call the gov's bluff by declaring local emergencies and letting the court deal with it, because doing something seems like it's better than his other option, which is doing nothing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you say the same about drug addicts who OD? How about gang members who are shot?

I don't think insurance (or Medicare/Medicaid) should pay for COVID treatment in people who choose not to be vaccinated but they shouldn't be turned away to die.
Yes.

and Yes.
Why do you (or I), who are vaccinated care. If people don't want to get vaccinated and have a high risk of getting severely ill, that's their incredibly bad decision.

I could understand your side of the argument before vaccines were readily available but not now that they are.
Because you’re missing the entire medical/biological angle…at least you’re consistent.

the longer a variant spreads/mingles…the greater chance it mutates and that mutation could be the one that breaks through the vaccine shield.

but again…Florida has it figured out in “may”…

“may the day never come”

Baloo62

FWIW, I was just in NYC for a conference. I'd put mask usage at 30%... and most of that was the service industry folks (waiters, etc) who more than likely HAD to wear them due to employer mandate. In other-words, on the streets, the common folk.. it's over.
I would agree completely with your observations. Just five weeks ago we toured 8 states in 11 days, including stops in Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Busch Gardens Williamsburg (which was at capacity), Carowinds (don't know capacity levels, but it was packed), and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, just to name a few. We easily encountered over 250,000 people during our trip and maybe, MAYBE, fifty of them were wearing a mask...even indoors. It was like CoVid never even happened. The sense of indescribable relief and jubilation with the general public was palpable. Honestly, it was the best thing about our entire experience. I'm not going to enter a circular argument with anyone on the merits/folly of masks, but good luck getting that genie to willingly go back in the bottle again with the overwhelming majority of the populace...vaccinated or not. This time, and each time thereafter, it's gonna get ugly.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

It isn't a constitutional question. Before July 1st, the Governor's executive orders probably could have been invalidated through the courts. However, it is now a law which explicitly gives the Governor this power to invalidate and it also puts significant restrictions on local government EOs to begin with. There's nothing in the law that runs counter to the State or US Constitution.
This obviously wouldn't be a US constitutional issue; states have the right to dictate their own local laws.

However, the governor may not have the power to restrict local law on his own. That power would likely fall to the legislative branch. In which case, if there is the possibility that he did overstep in his authority, then the mayor should be looking into legal action to get the executive order overturned (and there shouldn't be a timeframe for it). Which isn't something you or I would need to debate; it would be something for a Florida attorney to look into.

Again, I don't know this for sure, but this is something that the mayor's office may be "exploring".

Lilofan

I would agree completely. Just five weeks ago we toured 8 states in 11 days, including stops in Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Busch Gardens Williamsburg (which was at capacity), Carowinds (don't know capacity levels, but it was packed), and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, just to name a few. We easily encountered over 250,000 people during our trip and maybe, MAYBE, thirty of them were wearing a mask...even indoors. It was like CoVid never even happened. The sense of indescribable relief and jubilation with the general public was palpable. Honestly, it was the best thing about our entire experience. I'm not going to enter a circular argument with anyone on the merits/folly of masks, but good luck getting that genie to willingly go back in the bottle again with the overwhelming majority of the populace...vaccinated or not. This time, and each time thereafter, it's gonna get ugly.
The smart ones probably stayed home.

StarWarsGirl

If they agreed with him, one might think they'd do what he's requesting of them.
If there's one thing that this pandemic has taught us, it's that people collectively are smart and will do what needs to be done.

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

People can protect themselves and GET VACCINATED. There is no need for the Orange County mayor to do anything other than encourage people to get vaccinated and he isn't doing such a great job of it. Orange County is barely above the FL average for percent eligible vaccinated.
You're aware that disney is a themepark for children, and that no one under 12 is currently vaccinated right?

DisneyCane

Yes.

and Yes.

Because you’re missing the entire medical/biological angle…at least you’re consistent.

the longer a variant spreads/mingles…the greater chance it mutates and that mutation could be the one that breaks through the vaccine shield.

but again…Florida has it figured out in “may”…

“may the day never come”
Based on the seven day rolling average, the USA represents under 10% of worldwide cases. That means that if there is a mutation that can render the vaccines ineffective, there is a 90%+ chance it will have originated somewhere else.

While I agree that more people should get vaccinated, it's not like states that operate closer to your philosophy have that much higher vaccine acceptance. According to CDC data, FL is within 11% of adults vaccinated vs. NY, NJ, and CA.

For the umpteenth time. I never said FL figured anything out in may. I said that people and businesses should be free to assess their own risk. The large counties in FL pretty much all had restrictions and mandates until a few May 2021.

maui2k7

My guess is the mayor is working directly with the theme parks and other large venues/business to get them to voluntarily reinstitute mask mandates indoors in an effort to push other business to do the same without a government mandate available.

ppete1975

you realize that seat belts were a law until the late 80s early 90s (state based). They werent even required in cars until 1966.
Why do i bring this up? I remember when this happened. Before it was a law people were like, im safer without a seat belt, i dont like wearing one. Even when it became law many refused to wear them due to "safety" and even now there are people that refuse to wear them. I remember my grandparents thought they were unsafe (although i believe they just didnt like wearing them), but they read or heard something about how it was safer not to wear one, so there was no convincing them.

My point... seat belts save lives, but if someone believes that they dont want to do something or they hear somewhere that its safer to not have a seat belt. Or they have an uncle that died due to having a seat belt (or a friend of a friend), you will never convince them to wear one. As the years have gone by most of the older people that didnt believe in seat belts have either passed or just gave up and started to wear them.

The people that are vaccinated want to be vaccinated. The people that arent, are not going to change their minds. We are probably at close to the percentage of vaccinated vs unvaccinated people as we will get. The needle isnt going to move much more.

We need to figure out what losses are ok in human lives, and figure out how to keep society running in the new normal.

There will be ebbs and flows and huge spikes then lulls. Hopefully we dont get an even worse variant or 10

Otterhead

This time, and each time thereafter, it's gonna get ugly.
My response is: too bad. I don't care.

I sincerely don't care if people are mad that they have to get vaccinated or put on masks. I wouldn't expect anybody to be cheerful about wearing one, but at some point, people have to be adults about this stuff and do what's best for themselves, their families, and other people. If wearing a piece of cloth makes their trip to Dollywood or dinner out a little less 'free', I understand that, but also don't care. They have to realize the seriousness of things.

StarWarsGirl

People can protect themselves and GET VACCINATED. There is no need for the Orange County mayor to do anything other than encourage people to get vaccinated and he isn't doing such a great job of it. Orange County is barely above the FL average for percent eligible vaccinated.
There's a whole group of people who can't get vaccinated: those under 12. There's also a small group of us who medically can't get vaccinated. Plus, there are studies coming out demonstrating the vaccine is less effective for some with underlying conditions.

People just need to put the masks back on until this is better controlled and/or until those under 12 can get vaccinated.

EeyoreFan#24

I wish. I can't believe they aren't asking employers to mandate it. Large employers like Disney or Universal, you'd think most of them would be vaccinated anyway. Given the amount of maskless CM's, I'd say most are vaccinated.

I wouldn’t count on it. it probably works agains them on this one. Larger the company, the more who slip thought the process.

Employers won’t force for real or perceived future legal challenges. Employees aren’t always honest. Handful of companies I know that went the volunteer your info and you can be maskeless, but your manager can’t ask route are complete dumpster fires right now as far as that process goes. I’ve said it a few times here, all most companies will do is follow the official published guidance and point to it as a defense. Right or wrong as the case may be.

Lilofan

you realize that seat belts were a law until the late 80s early 90s (state based). They werent even required in cars until 1966.
Why do i bring this up? I remember when this happened. Before it was a law people were like, im safer without a seat belt, i dont like wearing one. Even when it became law many refused to wear them due to "safety" and even now there are people that refuse to wear them. I remember my grandparents thought they were unsafe (although i believe they just didnt like wearing them), but they read or heard something about how it was safer not to wear one, so there was no convincing them.

My point... seat belts save lives, but if someone believes that they dont want to do something or they hear somewhere that its safer to not have a seat belt. Or they have an uncle that died due to having a seat belt (or a friend of a friend), you will never convince them to wear one. As the years have gone by most of the older people that didnt believe in seat belts have either passed or just gave up and started to wear them.

The people that are vaccinated want to be vaccinated. The people that arent, are not going to change their minds. We are probably at close to the percentage of vaccinated vs unvaccinated people as we will get. The needle isnt going to move much more.

We need to figure out what losses are ok in human lives, and figure out how to keep society running in the new normal.

There will be ebbs and flows and huge spikes then lulls. Hopefully we dont get an even worse variant or 10
Case in point, some I know were on the fence on getting vaccinated. All it took were their close friends with no underlying conditions , testing positive, quarantining then collapsing at home then spending a week in the hospital covid ward. A little light then went on in their brain to get vaccinated!

DisneyCane

This obviously wouldn't be a US constitutional issue; states have the right to dictate their own local laws.

However, the governor may not have the power to restrict local law on his own. That power would likely fall to the legislative branch. In which case, if there is the possibility that he did overstep in his authority, then the mayor should be looking into legal action to get the executive order overturned (and there shouldn't be a timeframe for it). Which isn't something you or I would need to debate; it would be something for a Florida attorney to look into.

Again, I don't know this for sure, but this is something that the mayor's office may be "exploring".
The legislature explicitly gave the Governor (not just the current one but every future Governor) to power to invalidate local emergency orders that aren't weather related.

Here is the quote from the law:

(d) The Governor may, at any time, invalidate an emergency order issued by a political subdivision if the Governor determines that such order unnecessarily restricts individual rights or liberties.
There is no ambiguity. "Political subdivision" is the legal term that applies to any county or municipal government.

ppete1975

Why do you (or I), who are vaccinated care. If people don't want to get vaccinated and have a high risk of getting severely ill, that's their incredibly bad decision.

I could understand your side of the argument before vaccines were readily available but not now that they are.
the longer it mutates and we dont have herd immunity the more chance of a new variant that cant be controlled by any vaccine that we have and we have to start over again. Also even if you are vaccinated you can still get it or be a carrier, and as we are seeing with kids that cant get the shot, i really dont want to pass it on.

And yes im vaccinated,

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There's a whole group of people who can't get vaccinated: those under 12. There's also a small group of us who medically can't get vaccinated. Plus, there are studies coming out demonstrating the vaccine is less effective for some with underlying conditions.

People just need to put the masks back on until this is better controlled and/or until those under 12 can get vaccinated.
People just need to get vaccinated. There are millions and millions that do not fall into the two categories you called out. It won't be controlled until more people get the shot. And vaccinating under 12 won't change that. It is on the unvaccinated adults to step up. The ones that cause the most spread.

DisneyCane

You're aware that disney is a themepark for children, and that no one under 12 is currently vaccinated right?
An you are aware that a child under 12 who doesn't have a significant underlying health issue is at essentially zero risk from COVID and was at higher risk from influenza prior to March 2020 when the COVID mitigations eliminated the flu season.

I feel bad for people who can't get vaccinated or for whom the vaccines don't work as well. If you are in that group then wear a properly fitted N95 mask everywhere to further protect yourself. See above for the under 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom