News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

People just need to get vaccinated. There are millions and millions that do not fall into the two categories you called out. It won't be controlled until more people get the shot. And vaccinating under 12 won't change that. It is on the unvaccinated adults to step up. The ones that cause the most spread.
Free food is usually a good incentive. The Deep South trails in vaccination rates but also has high obesity rates. At this point all options should be on the table to get shots in arms.

Chip Chipperson

Why do you (or I), who are vaccinated care. If people don't want to get vaccinated and have a high risk of getting severely ill, that's their incredibly bad decision.

I could understand your side of the argument before vaccines were readily available but not now that they are.

If hospitals become overcrowded again then their stupid choice not to get the vaccine (assuming no legitimate health reason to avoid the shot like an allergy to its ingredients as opposed to "A guy on YouTube said it alters your DNA!") has a direct impact on anyone else needing a hospital bed.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Free food is usually a good incentive. The Deep South trails in vaccination rates but also has high obesity rates. At this point all options should be on the table to get shots in arms.
There have been reports in my state of increased vaccinations rates over the last 3 weeks...likely due to the increase in delta cases. Hopefully continues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Based on the seven day rolling average, the USA represents under 10% of worldwide cases. That means that if there is a mutation that can render the vaccines ineffective, there is a 90%+ chance it will have originated somewhere else.

While I agree that more people should get vaccinated, it's not like states that operate closer to your philosophy have that much higher vaccine acceptance. According to CDC data, FL is within 11% of adults vaccinated vs. NY, NJ, and CA.

For the umpteenth time. I never said FL figured anything out in may. I said that people and businesses should be free to assess their own risk. The large counties in FL pretty much all had restrictions and mandates until a few May 2021.
Not extending the shield is stupid. Whatever it takes is what it takes. And it doesn’t matter if something “originates” in Florida…everything needs to be done to try and squelch it everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyCane

If hospitals become overcrowded again then their stupid choice not to get the vaccine (assuming no legitimate health reason to avoid the shot like an allergy to its ingredients as opposed to "A guy on YouTube said it alters your DNA!") has a direct impact on anyone else needing a hospital bed.
As far as I'm aware, there was nowhere in the USA where hospitals reached capacity and weren't able to take on patients who needed to be hospitalized. Not even New York City at the peak of the first outbreak. They never utilized the hospital ship (and I don't think the Javits Center either).

An you are aware that a child under 12 who doesn't have a significant underlying health issue is at essentially zero risk from COVID and was at higher risk from influenza prior to March 2020 when the COVID mitigations eliminated the flu season.

I feel bad for people who can't get vaccinated or for whom the vaccines don't work as well. If you are in that group then wear a properly fitted N95 mask everywhere to further protect yourself. See above for the under 12.
With incidence of Long-Covid and other such longterm medical conditions surrounding this virus already apparent, we simply do not know what happens to a person who gets covid when they're six a year later, two years, five years on, etc. Mumps is a viral infection with totally unacceptable long term effects that show up seemingly years after recovery, polio is a viral infection that will re-emerge decades after recovery. We have no indication that yet that any covid recovery is a complete recovery, and at least some indication that the effects will last and recur for life. The idea that children are not a concern regarding Covid is simply unhinged and not based on reality at all.

Figgy1

Premium Member
As far as I'm aware, there was nowhere in the USA where hospitals reached capacity and weren't able to take on patients who needed to be hospitalized. Not even New York City at the peak of the first outbreak. They never utilized the hospital ship (and I don't think the Javits Center either).
Javits was used, ship wasn't but some hospitals in the area were treating patients in parking lots and garages patients were also being treated in tents. Ambulances were turned away if the patient didn't have a pulse pulling in

DisneyCane

Not really my point.

If this is about sending a political message, it's about votes, no? If these people vote the same way they're behaving, how does that help Demings? That's my point.

It's similar to the poll that found something over 80% of 18-30 year old people thought it should be mandatory for 18-30 year old people to be vaccinated yet less than 40% of them are vaccinated. People don't always "vote" in the way they behave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otterhead

As far as I'm aware, there was nowhere in the USA where hospitals reached capacity and weren't able to take on patients who needed to be hospitalized.
That's very misleading. I work in the hospital industry and many hospitals and major hospital systems nationwide ran out of ICU space so quickly that they converted their inpatient and L&D areas into temporary COVID areas to take more patients. So they were still taking COVID patients, who were a priority, but turning away lower-priority patients and birthing mothers.

Lilofan

You might think differently if your loved one going to the ER , is there for many hours lying in the hallway with many others because all rooms in the inn are full.

DisneyCane

With incidence of Long-Covid and other such longterm medical conditions surrounding this virus already apparent, we simply do not know what happens to a person who gets covid when they're six a year later, two years, five years on, etc. Mumps is a viral infection with totally unacceptable long term effects that show up seemingly years after recovery, polio is a viral infection that will re-emerge decades after recovery. We have no indication that yet that any covid recovery is a complete recovery, and at least some indication that the effects will last and recur for life. The idea that children are not a concern regarding Covid is simply unhinged and not based on reality at all.
OK, so why isn't Fauchi standing up at press conferences calling attention to this?

DisneyCane

You might think differently if your loved one going to the ER , is there for many hours lying in the hallway with many others because all rooms in the inn are full.
How many places did this actually happen in when the most vulnerable weren't vaccinated and not likely to need to be hospitalized?

pdude81

An you are aware that a child under 12 who doesn't have a significant underlying health issue is at essentially zero risk from COVID and was at higher risk from influenza prior to March 2020 when the COVID mitigations eliminated the flu season.

I feel bad for people who can't get vaccinated or for whom the vaccines don't work as well. If you are in that group then wear a properly fitted N95 mask everywhere to further protect yourself. See above for the under 12.
Children under 12 are, however, able to carry, create, and transmit variants of the virus and replicate to other groups.

If they were able to be vaccinated I would be in a very different place on indoor masking right now, as everyone would have a choice for their families. Then I would only support any sort of mask mandate if the fundamentals changes and breakthroughs were blowing up.

But it's always been a flawed idea that kids don't get sick from this or have risks. They just are much less likely to have a severe outcome. That does not change their status as a carrier or an incubuator. And that child can still kill grandma if a breakthrough case occurs.

It's not likely, but we regulate and try to prevent a lot of things that are not likely.

Also N95 does help, but it's hardly foolproof. You're getting into properly fitted P100 territory for seniors who have to go to the food store, if they want realistic protection from higher viral load shedding in the delta variant and no more social distancing.

I, for one, look forward to the days where I don't have a great concern over what mitigation steps (or lack therof) Disney has in place.

cmwade77

Honestly, I have read more now and 95% of the cases are those that are unvaccinated. Leaving those that cannot be vaccinated out of it for the moment, either due to age or other medical issues, those that have chosen not to get vaccinated need to take personal responsibility and live with the consequences of their actions. I know that may sound heartless, but honestly, they made a choice not get vaccinated, knowing the risks. Now, it is unfortunate for those who cannot get vaccinated and there is honestly no perfect solution there, but at this point we can't keep going like we were before lifting mask mandates and such.

You're aware that disney is a themepark for children, and that no one under 12 is currently vaccinated right?
That is not accurate, first off Disney is a theme park for all ages, including children and there are plenty of children 12 and under that have been vaccinated as they have been part of trials, in fact the parents of some of them are on these forums. But there are also very few cases in those 12 and under anyway, which shows they may indeed have some natural immunity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's a whole group of people who can't get vaccinated: those under 12. There's also a small group of us who medically can't get vaccinated. Plus, there are studies coming out demonstrating the vaccine is less effective for some with underlying conditions.

People just need to put the masks back on until this is better controlled and/or until those under 12 can get vaccinated.
I believe 84% qualify for vaccines…12% are pending fda approval…4% won’t due to conditions…

but at a certain amusement park complex…that 12% is probavly more like 30% of the daily crowd

so there is probably no more appropriate place for the masks to remain.

and schools…of course

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

This is not correct. While it is true that most children tolerate covid better than adults, they are still at risk for serious complications. From Harvard University:
Children, including very young children, can develop COVID-19. Many of them have no symptoms. Those that do get sick tend to experience milder symptoms such as low-grade fever, fatigue, and cough. Some children have had severe complications, but this has been less common. Children with underlying health conditions may be at increased risk for severe illness.

A potentially severe and dangerous complication can occur in children. Called multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), it can lead to life-threatening problems with the heart and other organs in the body. In this condition, different body parts, such as the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs, can become inflamed.

Symptoms of MIS-C can include

fever lasting more than a couple of days
rash
"bloodshot eyes"(redness of the white part of the eye)
stomachache
vomiting and/or diarrhea
a large, swollen lymph node in the neck
neck pain
red, cracked lips
a tongue that is redder than usual and looks like a strawberry
swollen hands and/or feet
irritability and/or unusual sleepiness or weakness.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly, I have read more now and 95% of the cases are those that are unvaccinated. Leaving those that cannot be vaccinated out of it for the moment, either due to age or other medical issues, those that have chosen not to get vaccinated need to take personal responsibility and live with the consequences of their actions. I know that may sound heartless, but honestly, they made a choice not get vaccinated, knowing the risks. Now, it is unfortunate for those who cannot get vaccinated and there is honestly no perfect solution there, but at this point we can't keep going like we were before lifting mask mandates and such.

That is not accurate, first off Disney is a theme park for all ages, including children and there are plenty of children 12 and under that have been vaccinated as they have been part of trials, in fact the parents of some of them are on these forums. But there are also very few cases in those 12 and under anyway, which shows they may indeed have some natural immunity.
Wrong here…and you completely invented the last part: kids have a more active immune system…it does equate to “some latent immunity” to a specific virus.

kids get virus As much if not more than adults. Not breaking news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom