News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonconato

I've been going to the parks since they opened in July and been going to Sea World every week. Saturday I went to Magic Kingdom and people who didn't feel comfortable without a mask wore them and the ones who wanted to wore a mask. Of course I'm speaking of no masks only outdoors. My family and I did not wear a mask and it was wonderful. One thing that really touched me was when a Security Guard said to us "It's so nice to see smiling faces again," and I said "yes, it certainly is."

legwand77

When does Mayor Demings announce his press conferences, and does anyone know where to find the rolling 14-day average for Orange County? We have to be under 5% or very close. Cases in the US are way down, and I’m thinking Gottlieb was right when he said masks would be barely used by June. 😀

You are correct, Orange County is already below 5% 14 day rolling average. You can calculate it from the Florida DOH site, here are the numbers from yesterday, it will be even lower today when the 5/3 5.85% drops out of today's numbers.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 11.13.12 AM.png

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And it doesn’t even mean that - these vaccines are incredibly effective.
Here is the VAERS data for hospitalizations and deaths after receiving their 2nd dose. It does not state if they were past the 2 week point. This is after 123,820,000 people over the age of 12 have had both shots. Think about the percentages of issues. Pretty impressive results, actually.

1621355932316.png

Jlwise2021

You are correct, Orange County is already below 5% 14 day rolling average. You can calculate it from the Florida DOH site, here are the numbers from yesterday, it will be even lower today when the 5/3 5.85% drops out of today's numbers.

View attachment 558605
I’m wondering if Mayor Demings will move Orange County to Phase 3 tomorrow at his press conference, dropping all Covid mandates. Since Disney and Universal helped draft the phases, I’m thinking they see this coming. I do believe it’s time for folks to make their own decisions in regards to what they feel comfortable doing, whether to wear a mask or not.

ToTBellHop

I’m wondering if Mayor Demings will move Orange County to Phase 3 tomorrow at his press conference, dropping all Covid mandates. Since Disney and Universal helped draft the phases, I’m thinking they see this coming. I do believe it’s time for folks to make their own decisions in regards to what they feel comfortable doing, whether to wear a mask or not.
If I were Disney, I’d wait until 70%. Percent positivity varies, so I wouldn’t change my policy only to have to change it again. Best to wait (at least) for the metric that can’t be un-met.

However, I still expect them to wait until kids become eligible for vaccine to remove the indoor mandate. That is what the CDC recommends. As I’ve said, their focus in the weeks ahead is on reducing distancing. You can’t really do that in good faith while simultaneously removing an indoor mask mandate. The reopening has always been phased. What some are describing is “pulling off the band-aid”. Let’s not forget, Disney needs to appeal to all types. Some want mandates; some don’t. This change was viewed as a compromise—end the issue that people complain about most (masks in the heat) without sacrificing much safety (science shows how little spread occurs outdoors). They need to appeal to all types of people.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
3. Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another user and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore the user.

If you find that your privileges to post in this thread have been suspended or removed, this is the most likely reason. Please do not send me a PM asking for an explanation.

Jlwise2021

@Jlwise2021 Oh, wait, I see you only joined two weeks ago. Disregard. And @Nickp1983 can also disregard, having only joined last week. You both don't know that we've been through all of this before. But history repeats itself.
Hey. I just joined so I could discuss new updates in regards to Covid protocols at Disney. I had a perfectly magical trip planned for May of 2020- had already made our extra club level fast passes and had the most perfect dining. Then, Covid came out of nowhere. I remember being in the classroom and my students were telling me that someone had tested positive for Covid in a city near ours. I had no idea what Covid even was on March 11, 2020. The students said, “What’s going to happen?” Sure enough, our governor closed all schools and shifted to online learning for the rest of the school year. It was devastating and scary. Suddenly, it was my two kids and I both navigating school and work from home. You can fill in the next months— puzzles, grocery delivery, highs, and lows.

My kids were able to return to in-person school in August, and my college opened for in-person learning too. It looked different, but we were together. Our college offered a vaccine clinic in February- I quickly signed up. I rescheduled our Disney trip to May 30- June 5, and with all the positive news coming out, I’m just hopeful that life can be as close to “normal” as possible, sooner rather than later. However, no one comes out of something like this without scars and fears, and I get that. I love reading opinions whether I agree or disagree with the posts because I like to try and understand everyone’s thoughts. This has been a hard, long 14-months for everyone, hoping there is something good to smile about everyday. ☺️

Parker in NYC

Hey. I just joined so I could discuss new updates in regards to Covid protocols at Disney. I had a perfectly magical trip planned for May of 2020- had already made our extra club level fast passes and had the most perfect dining. Then, Covid came out of nowhere. I remember being in the classroom and my students were telling me that someone had tested positive for Covid in a city near ours. I had no idea what Covid even was on March 11, 2020. The students said, “What’s going to happen?” Sure enough, our governor closed all schools and shifted to online learning for the rest of the school year. It was devastating and scary. Suddenly, it was my two kids and I both navigating school and work from home. You can fill in the next months— puzzles, grocery delivery, highs, and lows.

My kids were able to return to in-person school in August, and my college opened for in-person learning too. It looked different, but we were together. Our college offered a vaccine clinic in February- I quickly signed up. I rescheduled our Disney trip to May 30- June 5, and with all the positive news coming out, I’m just hopeful that life can be as close to “normal” as possible, sooner rather than later. However, no one comes out of something like this without scars and fears, and I get that. I love reading opinions whether I agree or disagree with the posts because I like to try and understand everyone’s thoughts. This has been a hard, long 14-months for everyone, hoping there is something good to smile about everyday. ☺️
I'm sure that walking around in the Orlando swamps will be better sans masks, good thing you rescheduled for a time that coincides with the restriction "lifts"! You'll have to report when you get back.

isman250

I dont see where the argument has to be here. I mean these are the new rules, if you choose to wear a mask, awesome, if you choose to not wear one, awesome. Respect everyones choices around you and move on with your life. If you dont like the new rules, dont go to disney. Its a pretty simple concept to say the least. I see people back and forth, but just respect everyones decision and protect yourself in the way you see fit.

Jlwise2021

I'm sure that walking around in the Orlando swamps will be better sans masks, good thing you rescheduled for a time that coincides with the restriction "lifts"! You'll have to report when you get back.
Yes! This is truly all I was hoping for— no outdoor masks. I’ll make sure to report back on the details of our trip and whether we get to ride Rise or not. 🤣 not counting on me being fast enough for that though.

If I were Disney, I’d wait until 70%. Percent positivity varies, so I wouldn’t change my policy only to have to change it again. Best to wait (at least) for the metric that can’t be un-met.

However, I still expect them to wait until kids become eligible for vaccine to remove the indoor mandate. That is what the CDC recommends. As I’ve said, their focus in the weeks ahead is on reducing distancing. You can’t really do that in good faith while simultaneously removing an indoor mask mandate. The reopening has always been phased. What some are describing is “pulling off the band-aid”. Let’s not forget, Disney needs to appeal to all types. Some want mandates; some don’t. This change was viewed as a compromise—end the issue that people complain about most (masks in the heat) without sacrificing much safety (science shows how little spread occurs outdoors). They need to appeal to all types of people.
I expect Disney will shift to no masks indoors by the end of June regardless of metrics

AEfx

However, I still expect them to wait until kids become eligible for vaccine to remove the indoor mandate. That is what the CDC recommends. As I’ve said, their focus in the weeks ahead is on reducing distancing. You can’t really do that in good faith while simultaneously removing an indoor mask mandate.

A week ago I would have totally agreed - I mean, even though we know many people are treating this as "masks off for everyone!", the recommendation is maskless for vaccinated individuals, kids under 12 cannot get the vaccination yet, therefore, all kids should still be wearing masks indoors.

The way things are going, though? Disney could lift all masks and social distancing everywhere right now, and I can't say I'd be surprised - I'm kind of out of "surprised" right now, LOL.

DKampy

I shopped at my local Walmart for the 1st time without a mask. I am fully vaccinated and asked the greeter at the front if it was alright since I had heard that Walmart was dropping their mask requirement(Always respect what ever a business wants). I felt a little uneasy about it since I was surprised to see There was only 1 other customer going mask less. Plus I was there at a busy time between 4:00 and 5:00pm during the after work rush. Maybe it is just the county I am in. We are heading towards 60 percent of our population with at least 1 shot in the arm...one of the best rates in our state which is only at 45% With one shot. Maybe I am just in a county that is more cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom