News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

That’s the key they have to provide the masks. People don’t want to carry around a mask all day. I don’t really care about the masks on transportation as long as I don’t need to carry my own mask.
We carried ours around when we weren't 100% sure. Of course we saw them at the station, but we were prepared. I had a tiny little bag that they fit into. When we drove we never brought them. Same with going to MK - we either took small boat or ferry so we didn't carry.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't know how it will translate to Disney transportation but on my recent trip I noticed a not insignificant number of people just ignoring the requirement at both Miami International and (formerly)McCarran Las Vegas. Nobody that I saw was told to put them on.

On the flights, the Flight Attendants didn't seem to care if people sat there with their mask off for 15-20 minutes as long as they had a beverage in front of them.

If the federal mandate doesn't end on 4/18, I would expect more and more people to just ignore it on the monorail especially. The busses I guess it depends if the drivers care about it.

I really don't understand why Disney has to comply with the mandate as it is for "public transportation." The shuttle to the off airport hotel parking that I used at MIA had a DOT registration but they didn't require masking. The driver didn't wear one either way nor did any other passengers (including pilots) on the shuttle.

It is still unclear to me if Disney is required to follow the mandate or not. There were claims that after the monorail accident the NTSB took over regulation of Disney transport, but I have also seen that refuted. Now that they have dropped it on the Skyliner it's even less clear.

correcaminos

It is still unclear to me if Disney is required to follow the mandate or not. There were claims that after the monorail accident the NTSB took over regulation of Disney transport, but I have also seen that refuted. Now that they have dropped it on the Skyliner it's even less clear.
They classified skyliner as an attraction I saw reported.

Lilofan

I don't know how it will translate to Disney transportation but on my recent trip I noticed a not insignificant number of people just ignoring the requirement at both Miami International and (formerly)McCarran Las Vegas. Nobody that I saw was told to put them on.

On the flights, the Flight Attendants didn't seem to care if people sat there with their mask off for 15-20 minutes as long as they had a beverage in front of them.

If the federal mandate doesn't end on 4/18, I would expect more and more people to just ignore it on the monorail especially. The busses I guess it depends if the drivers care about it.

I really don't understand why Disney has to comply with the mandate as it is for "public transportation." The shuttle to the off airport hotel parking that I used at MIA had a DOT registration but they didn't require masking. The driver didn't wear one either way nor did any other passengers (including pilots) on the shuttle.
Not at Orlando MCO recently. Staff would confront ones in the terminal not having a mask on, or when on the TSA line, fellow passengers would go up to non mask wearers to tell them to put it on. I actually in another airport went up to an anti mask wearer and asked her to put it on. She reluctantly did.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not so fast...remember, those who are unvaccinated are required to wear at mask at Disney. But, the unvaccinated would NEVER break the rules, right...? SO unmasked does not necessarily = "following policy"
Other people are not the enemy. Probably shouldn’t look at one another as such. Understand the policy at each place you visit and do what you feel is best for yourself.

Lilofan

Other people are not the enemy. Probably shouldn’t look at one another as such. Understand the policy at each place you visit and do what you feel is best for yourself.
That's a cop out. There are policies in some places where unvaccinated should wear a mask but " to do what you feel is best " doesn't cut it and is reckless and irresponsible. It is purely an assumption that others are the enemy.

correcaminos

That's a cop out. There are policies in some places where unvaccinated should wear a mask but " to do what you feel is best " doesn't cut it and is reckless and irresponsible. It is purely an assumption that others are the enemy.
It's reality. Look I am the biggest rule follower. I have zero issues whipping out a mask when asked and will continue to be that way. However I am a realists. Masks required for unvaccinated with no check like cruise lines and I know it won't be followed. Disney states "We expect Guests who are not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations" we know what will really happen. It's not a cop out but expectations. If you are uncomfortable with the idea then it's on you to adjust. We did not make it so the burden was ever on the unvaccinated. Some places make it hard to enforce too.

drizgirl

Not so fast...remember, those who are unvaccinated are required to wear at mask at Disney. But, the unvaccinated would NEVER break the rules, right...? SO unmasked does not necessarily = "following policy"
I know that. And you know that. But how are you going to know if the people sharing a gondola with you are vaccinated? All you can really do is protect yourself and hope for the best. Because I guarantee trying to discern the vaxxed from the unvaxxed in a small enclosed space hanging from a cable isn’t a great idea.

I stand by my advice. If you aren’t prepared to be gracious about riding with unmasked strangers then you are better off not riding.

DisneyCane

Not at Orlando MCO recently. Staff would confront ones in the terminal not having a mask on, or when on the TSA line, fellow passengers would go up to non mask wearers to tell them to put it on. I actually in another airport went up to an anti mask wearer and asked her to put it on. She reluctantly did.
Why on earth would you (or anybody not in a position of authority) risk a confrontation at an airport (or WDW) to "go up to" somebody not wearing a mask (who wasn't close to you to begin with) and ask them to put one one?

Especially when all somebody has to do to "legally" be unmasked is sit there eating or drinking. In the terminal at the airport there are tables to eat at that have people "legally" unmasked 3 feet away from where people walking are supposed to be wearing them.

If I was at WDW and decided not to follow the rule on the monorail, I'd respect a CM telling me to put one on but if another guest did, I'd certainly have a non-child friendly conversation.

My personal solution is that when visiting during this time of limited locations with masks required, I just plan to avoid those locations. If I want to go to MK, I'll take the ferry. Other than that, I always drive my car around the property anyway.

Lilofan

Why on earth would you (or anybody not in a position of authority) risk a confrontation at an airport (or WDW) to "go up to" somebody not wearing a mask (who wasn't close to you to begin with) and ask them to put one one?

Especially when all somebody has to do to "legally" be unmasked is sit there eating or drinking. In the terminal at the airport there are tables to eat at that have people "legally" unmasked 3 feet away from where people walking are supposed to be wearing them.

If I was at WDW and decided not to follow the rule on the monorail, I'd respect a CM telling me to put one on but if another guest did, I'd certainly have a non-child friendly conversation.

My personal solution is that when visiting during this time of limited locations with masks required, I just plan to avoid those locations. If I want to go to MK, I'll take the ferry. Other than that, I always drive my car around the property anyway.
On line at TSA, yes staff at other times we have seen and I have confronted non mask wearers but thanks for your concern. Some will look the other way, some will not.

DisneyCane

On line at TSA, yes staff at other times we have seen and I have confronted non mask wearers but thanks for your concern. Some will look the other way, some will not.
I was asking why you would risk a possible confrontation. Haven't you seen the incidents where passengers have assaulted flight attendants over being asked to put a mask on?

I think Rapid City, SD and Buffalo, NY (based on eyeballing the map) are the only airports in a country where masking is recommended by the CDC in any indoor location. Is the airport somehow more risky than the Walmart down the road from it?

Is it really worth risking a possible altercation just to be the "mask police?" Same goes for WDW. If somebody hot an exhausted with their kids annoying them isn't wearing a mask on the monorail, don't you think it is very possible that if another guest tells them to put a mask on that they might get irate and start throwing punches?

Lilofan

I was asking why you would risk a possible confrontation. Haven't you seen the incidents where passengers have assaulted flight attendants over being asked to put a mask on?

I think Rapid City, SD and Buffalo, NY (based on eyeballing the map) are the only airports in a country where masking is recommended by the CDC in any indoor location. Is the airport somehow more risky than the Walmart down the road from it?

Is it really worth risking a possible altercation just to be the "mask police?" Same goes for WDW. If somebody hot an exhausted with their kids annoying them isn't wearing a mask on the monorail, don't you think it is very possible that if another guest tells them to put a mask on that they might get irate and start throwing punches?
You are thinking too much into this, take a chill pill. You've made up a lot of opinions , maybe they are eating, maybe they are exhausted, etc. If flight attendants were not doing their job and ENFORCING the rules, then anti mask Karens would be more and more. The flights I've been on, yes along with flight crews, fellow passengers have stepped up instead of turning a blind eye and advised ones without masks to put it on which they complied with.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

You are thinking too much into this, take a chill pill. You've made up a lot of opinions , maybe they are eating, maybe they are exhausted, etc. If flight attendants were not doing their job and ENFORCING the rules, then anti mask Karens would be more and more. The flights I've been on, yes along with flight crews, fellow passengers have stepped up instead of turning a blind eye and advised ones without masks to put it on which they complied with.
I'm not talking about flight attendants enforcing the rules. I asked (and continue to wonder) why somebody who is not in a position of authority (whether in an airport, on a plane or on the monorail or bus at WDW) would risk a possible violent confrontation to be the self appointed mask police.

If you actually read the rules put out, passengers on transportation aren't required by "federal law" to wear a mask. The carriers (airlines or Disney if they are really required to follow the mandate) are required "use best efforts" to ensure that the passengers are wearing masks. I don't have to wear one on the monorail because you told me to. Disney is supposed to have a policy and their employees are supposed to "use best efforts" to make me wear one. If you aren't on the clock working for Disney, there is no requirement upon me for you to enforce.

Dranth

I'm not talking about flight attendants enforcing the rules. I asked (and continue to wonder) why somebody who is not in a position of authority (whether in an airport, on a plane or on the monorail or bus at WDW) would risk a possible violent confrontation to be the self appointed mask police.
Why not? Generally, you have someone that forgot which, no big deal, a friendly reminder and they put it back on. I’ve certainly forgot and had people remind me. I had no issues saying “Thanks, I completely forgot” and then putting it back on.

Honestly, if someone is going to throw a temper tantrum and become confrontational because someone asked them to do exactly what they agreed to do before showing up then then I could care less if they get upset. I generally don’t have a lot of patience for people who think they are better than everyone else and deserve special treatment.

G00fyDad

Why not? Generally, you have someone that forgot which, no big deal, a friendly reminder and they put it back on. I’ve certainly forgot and had people remind me. I had no issues saying “Thanks, I completely forgot” and then putting it back on.

Honestly, if someone is going to throw a temper tantrum and become confrontational because someone asked them to do exactly what they agreed to do before showing up then then I could care less if they get upset. I generally don’t have a lot of patience for people who think they are better than everyone else and deserve special treatment.

And it is obvious when they do flip out that they were hoping someone would say something to them so they would have a chance to release that rage toward someone. They are itching for a fight.

DisneyCane

And it is obvious when they do flip out that they were hoping someone would say something to them so they would have a chance to release that rage toward someone. They are itching for a fight.

But why risk ruining your day to be the mask police? Even if they just "forgot?"

What is the upside to you? If you just had fun at MK with your family, why would you want to have a confrontation with somebody on the way back to your hotel (where there is no mask required) or your car? Even if it is somebody itching for a fight, you still end up with a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom