News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Temp. The virus dies at higher temperatures. However, you do have a point about lockdowns. They only serve to spread not contain the virus.
Unless you are talking “weather on Mercury in the sunshine,” temperature has no real impact. Those summer spikes in Florida disprove that. COVID doesn’t spread outdoors in a meaningful way, so air temp has no real impact.

I’m sure there are no viruses on Mercury, though.

Disney4Lyfe

Except that hasn’t been universally true with covid. Delta’s spread was primarily during summer and fall, not winter. Even in areas of the country that are hot through fall. And delta, to date, is the strain with the most severe outcomes.
Hope Simpson. Just use the Google machine

Angel Ariel

Hope Simpson. Just use the Google machine
If you read what I was replying to, the poster was specifically referencing the weather being colder increasing the spread. That is what I was replying to. I agree that seasonal doesn’t equal winter.

I would also say it’s difficult to say covid is seasonal when there’s spikes in Dec-January, April-may, and august-October. When people hear seasonal, whether right or wrong, they see it similar to the flu - that there’s one “season” per year (and going to your point, that season could be any time). That hasn’t yet been the case with covid, though, as each year there have been multiple spikes. Yes, I get that that can still be called “seasonal,” but I do think it’s important to note the typical understanding of “seasonal” when one is referring to a virus is usually once/year. We haven’t seen that yet with covid.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Except that hasn’t been universally true with covid. Delta’s spread was primarily during summer and fall, not winter. Even in areas of the country that are hot through fall. And delta, to date, is the strain with the most severe outcomes.

Unless you are talking “weather on Mercury in the sunshine,” temperature has no real impact. Those summer spikes in Florida disprove that. COVID doesn’t spread outdoors in a meaningful way, so air temp has no real impact.

I’m sure there are no viruses on Mercury, though.
It's indoor/outdoor, not warm/cool. That's why it peaks in Florida in the summers and the North in the winters.

Chip Chipperson

It's indoor/outdoor, not warm/cool. That's why it peaks in Florida in the summers and the North in the winters.

Indoor vs. outdoor certainly plays a big role, but how does that explain the September 2021 peak in the northeast? Cases started trending upwards in July and peaked in September, so the entire wave occurred during prime outdoor gathering season in that region. That certainly runs counter to any prediction that we'll have a "COVID season" like we have a flu season. That may eventually come to pass, but it's nothing more than an assumption with nothing in the virus's short history to indicate that it will happen.

ToTBellHop

Indoor vs. outdoor certainly plays a big role, but how does that explain the September 2021 peak in the northeast? Cases started trending upwards in July and peaked in September, so the entire wave occurred during prime outdoor gathering season in that region. That certainly runs counter to any prediction that we'll have a "COVID season" like we have a flu season. That may eventually come to pass, but it's nothing more than an assumption with nothing in the virus's short history to indicate that it will happen.
We are not as insular as some are trying to suggest. A cool season wave starts in the north and spreads. A warm season wave starts in the south and spreads. This lets us all enjoy several waves each year.

Joy.

JohnD

But lockdowns were never about "cooping everyone up in the same building." An indoor gathering isn't a "lockdown." When you lump lockdowns in with general indoor gatherings then you get people calling you out for misinformation.

I would say both are comparable. Okay, I'll agree that things weren't more or less better. But when you look at NY which had both lock downs and paused indoor gatherings vs. Florida where the policies were basically the opposite, cases were about the same in both states. The virus is going to what it is going to do. So, therefore, lockdowns and preventing indoor gatherings did little to "slow the spread".

G00fyDad

I would say both are comparable. Okay, I'll agree that things weren't more or less better. But when you look at NY which had both lock downs and paused indoor gatherings vs. Florida where the policies were basically the opposite, cases were about the same in both states. The virus is going to what it is going to do. So, therefore, lockdowns and preventing indoor gatherings did little to "slow the spread".
Because NEITHER state had people adhering to the prevention of indoor gatherings. It was still happening in every single state while it was supposed to be banned. You cannot use that as a basis for supporting your point,

Tom P.

Because NEITHER state had people adhering to the prevention of indoor gatherings. It was still happening in every single state while it was supposed to be banned. You cannot use that as a basis for supporting your point,
Well, it does prove the point that lockdowns are not effective as a policy measure, regardless of the underlying reason behind it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Temp. The virus dies at higher temperatures. However, you do have a point about lockdowns. They only serve to spread not contain the virus.

If you are locked down you are presumably locked down with just members or your immediate family. Even during normal times you are spending a lot of time together so it probably doesn't increase that chance of spread within the family that much. By keeping locked down you are containing spread to a small number of people, whereas if you were going about a normal routine an infected person could be coming into contact with far more people.

Chip Chipperson

Particularly when the original claim was that lockdowns made the spread worse. If people actually adhered to a lockdown then the spread never would have left the homes where people were sick. At worst, it would get others in that home sick - but there's nothing to suggest that they wouldn't have gotten sick anyway since they lived in the home with a sick person in the first place.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If you are locked down you are presumably locked down with just members or your immediate family. Even during normal times you are spending a lot of time together so it probably doesn't increase that chance of spread within the family that much. By keeping locked down you are containing spread to a small number of people, whereas if you were going about a normal routine an infected person could be coming into contact with far more people.
Assumption being your normal routine puts you in close indoor contact with a lot of people...

Delta was really bad for multifamily households. We know most of the spread from delta came from within the home, because that was what we gave it....I guess we can argue whether that was good or bad..

Lilofan

Yeah "lol everyone just ignored lockdowns" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the effectiveness of lockdowns.
I can not fathom lock downs not happening and am glad they did. My loved one was in the overcrowded ER ( I was with her ) for 9 hours on a stretcher in a hallway before getting a room while the line to the ER stretched outside down the street in 100 degrees humidity last June. The over stressed hospital system would have been magnified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom