News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Just a comment to those commenting on state mandates for schools and masks. Just because the state ends it doesn't necessarily mean the schools themselves will drop. My state has no mandate yet we are wearing.
I live in a strange state. A court recently struck down our school mask mandate and the governor is appealing. This is the same governor who made national news a few days ago saying all mask mandates in our state would be ending soon. I was a bit surprised because we have been consistently one of the most restrictive states where mask mandates are concerned and just recently imposed a proof of vaccination requirement for restaurants for some counties.

What we're hearing from our health officials is that COVID hospitalizations and deaths are coming way down despite the fact that omicron is highly transmissible. They are stressing that people should get vaccinated and boosted and wear a properly fitted N95 mask (or one of its equivalents) for protection agains the virus. In other words, they seem to be doing a 180 from the original message to wear masks to protect others. My feeling is that they may have determined that the mask mandates we currently have in place aren't doing much to stop the spread of the virus and that individuals now have a good way to protect themselves - at least from serious illness.

The CDC hasn't said anything expressly yet, except to advise that people upgrade to better masks. But I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited the idea of mask mandates sometime soon. It would give businesses like Disney a bit better guidance than the guidelines issued several months before the most recent variant took hold.

correcaminos

I live in a strange state. A court recently struck down our school mask mandate and the governor is appealing. This is the same governor who made national news a few days ago saying all mask mandates in our state would be ending soon. I was a bit surprised because we have been consistently one of the most restrictive states where mask mandates are concerned and just recently imposed a proof of vaccination requirement for restaurants for some counties.

What we're hearing from our health officials is that COVID hospitalizations and deaths are coming way down despite the fact that omicron is highly transmissible. They are stressing that people should get vaccinated and boosted and wear a properly fitted N95 mask (or one of its equivalents) for protection agains the virus. In other words, they seem to be doing a 180 from the original message to wear masks to protect others. My feeling is that they may have determined that the mask mandates we currently have in place aren't doing much to stop the spread of the virus and that individuals now have a good way to protect themselves - at least from serious illness.

The CDC hasn't said anything expressly yet, except to advise that people upgrade to better masks. But I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited the idea of mask mandates sometime soon. It would give businesses like Disney a bit better guidance than the guidelines issued several months before the most recent variant took hold.
My state had no mandates for schools but the gov was promoting them. We had studies showing the differences in schools that had vs that didn't, so they stuck with ours (keep in mind this was Aug). They actually expanded the masks through tomorrow. After that if cases keep dropping I expect them to be gone, but it would have to go through our BOE and medical advisory team. In schools there is no such thing as a N95 for kids/small teens. The KN95 or the like are often rip offs and horrible so I won't bother using them or wouldn't ask kids to wear them.

I will say as a parent I watch the kids and most don't care. They're used to it now. I'll go along with whatever the medical advisory team goes with. I was ready to have my kid go maskless in the fall, then things changed and we had no choice anyway. So if science shows a surgical style doesn't help kids at all, then I say drop. I'd drop too as I cannot find a N95 for a kid size face... so far I haven't seen that *yet* but I've been busy lately and not totally paying attention. You know snow days and birthdays are the most important thing to watch out for :D

dreday3

I think it's going to be a matter of days for Illinois at this point.

Although who knows if Chicago will drop theirs. Which by the way...we were checking out at Jewel the other day and we were right next to Mayor Lightfoot!!! She was doing her own bagging. :D We are the same height! (maybe I'm a little taller) She only had one security guy with her.

BuddyThomas

I mean, we’re still averaging approximately 2,400 deaths per day nationally. And before anyone tells me “that’s nothing” or something equally offensive, it’s not nothing. It’s 2,400 people who are no longer walking the earth. Per day. Not sure what the big rush is to vanquish masks considering that we are still not out of this pandemic.

ToTBellHop

I mean, we’re still averaging approximately 2,400 deaths per day nationally. And before anyone tells me “that’s nothing” or something equally offensive, it’s not nothing. It’s 2,400 people who are no longer walking the earth. Per day. Not sure what the big rush is to vanquish masks considering that we are still not out of this pandemic.
I think it is that the overwhelming majority of fatalities are unvaccinated and those who got the shot are done (and willing to vote out anyone who won’t let them be done). Those who are unvaccinated have made a clear choice are will not change their minds. We could wear triple masks for 10 years and they’d still be unvaccinated and some would be dying.

Suggesting a “big rush” as we move into year 3 of the pandemic is a funny choice of words. I’m not in a rush, but I believe in the science behind the vaccines. The vaccinated and boosted are more likely to die driving to and from work than from COVID and this irrational fear mongering is extremely problematic. “Get these shots please but the world will still be dangerous.”

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I only said that because people are acting like it's over. No mask mandate since June in my state. That doesn't mean it trickles down immediately. Trend lines are clear but I just don't think it's wise to celebrate too early KWIM?
I think it is telling that Democratic governors are now removing mask mandates. I didn’t really read much into Republican governors doing so.

Communicora

Premium Member
I will also feel better about it when hospitals have things back under control and people are able to get the care they need. Many hospitals here also have strict visitor policies, including some that don’t allow visitors at all. I’d like to see those things improve before we say masks are optional again.

JoeCamel

I will also feel better about it when hospitals have things back under control and people are able to get the care they need. Many hospitals here also have strict visitor policies, including some that don’t allow visitors at all. I’d like to see those things improve before we say masks are optional again.
Yes, the most people our hospital system has ever had admitted since this began, head of ID there says tonight we can only hope the wave is cresting. Not so bad my butt......
Low vax rate here, really low

Tom P.

No longer required in either state so the choice is 100% Disneys now.
Disney may choose to move now that both states are making it optional -- and Orange County, California has also confirmed they will not continue a mandate at the county level. I could also see Disney choosing to wait a little longer for the CDC to change its mask guidance, but I think that is coming in relatively short order as well.

SingleRider

Premium Member
Does anyone else think it's odd that their homepage says that their requirements have "recently changed" when they reinstated indoor masks in July of last year? It's been more than 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom