News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Dot

American's love their pills.
It's weird from a British point of view to see medication advertised the way it is on TV. Mind you, listening to the lists of possible side effects is the scary part. You could have an advert for a Disney vacation with a narrator talking about possible side effects of any medication annd telling you to ask your doctor about it and you wouldn't know the difference

lazyboy97o

Mind you, listening to the lists of possible side effects is the scary part.
What’s crazy are the ones where the side effects include what they’re supposed to fix sound worse.

“Do you suffer from an occasional cough? Try Zoflexnate. Side effects include chronic cough, back pain, bloody stool and psychotic episodes. Talk to your doctor if Zoflexnate is right for you.”

JoeCamel

What’s crazy are the ones where the side effects include what they’re supposed to fix sound worse.

“Do you suffer from an occasional cough? Try Zoflexnate. Side effects include chronic cough, back pain, bloody stool and psychotic episodes. Talk to your doctor if Zoflexnate is right for you.”
My eyeroll moment is "Do not take xxxx if you are allergic to it".
Say what? How would I know?

correcaminos

Many live a lifestyle that gets them dependent on pills on a daily basis.
Rather than try to live a lifestyle to avoid medication for as long as possible.
Some things you cannot avoid (genetics for example and cholesterol for some is just impossible to control), but yes many have issues trying to fix before going on meds. They'd rather pop a few pills than make some really hard changes.

I'm even struggling with doing that to a cat of mine with allergies. Long and short 4 pills a day for 2-3 weeks is just too much even for me. I have allergies myself so know they suck but yeah, not doing tons of pills when we have better options first. (Edit to clarify I'm not into just popping pills, but looking at better options first)

DisneyCane

My eyeroll moment is "Do not take xxxx if you are allergic to it".
Say what? How would I know?
I forget which drug it is but one of them says not to take it if you are going somewhere where "certain fungal infections are common." It would be helpful to know what fungal infections are the "certain ones" so that you can at least look up if they are common where you are going.

Muffinpants

I forget which drug it is but one of them says not to take it if you are going somewhere where "certain fungal infections are common." It would be helpful to know what fungal infections are the "certain ones" so that you can at least look up if they are common where you are going.
Ask the pharmacist. If they do not know they can get you a print out.

Polkadotdress

I take one with that warning. It has that warning because it is an immune/suppressing drug, so fungal infections are super risky. Not-to-worry, the medicine also lists out several places where fungal infections are more prevalent (think damp, swampy places.).

Touchdown

Histoplasmosis and blastomycosis. Those are the fungi they are usually talking about.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is it really settled science with respect to the Omicron variant? South Africa has under 47% of the population fully vaccinated and they've been reporting how mild Omicron is since it appeared.

With the prior variants, the data was clear and you can confidently say the vaccines were keeping the overwhelming majority of illnesses mild. With Omicron it could just be that the variant causes much less severe disease in most people.

Not sure if it's 100% settled, but there are a number of studies that show that vaccination does reduce the severity of the infection.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
is it? Or is that what we are being told so more get the shot?

I personally know people who had the shots (all 3) and got Covid way worse than those who had Covid without it. It just varies. No one really knows which has been the problem with this whole thing from the beginning. No one knows what to believe and here we are…everything is a mess

Remember when the vaccines were widely advertised at first as 90%+ effective and if you got it you’d never get Covid? Then it was get a third? Now everyone seems to be getting it regardless. Is that the science we are going by?…and before I get attacked I’m vaccinated and think everyone should be, I’m just point out how insane this has all been from the beginning and no one knows and even if they do what and how they have been telling us is causing half the problems

What is the point of bringing up anecdotal evidence like that? We know that there are exceptions to everything, that is why we do scientific studies. Scientific studies look at the big picture. Yes even if you are vaccinated you may die from COVID, but the scientific evidence shows that you are much less likely to die if you are vaccinated.

Sounds like you are trying to over-simplify the science. In the original studies for the vaccine very few vaccinated people got symptomatic infection, so the science was pretty solid on the 90% or more efficacy. The problem is, the vaccine was designed for the original variant of the virus, but then the virus changed. If they had continued studies on the vaccine for a couple more years before they released it we would have had a better understanding of the overall efficacy number but in the mean time a lot more people would have died.

I disagree with the assertion that "nobody knows", most people just don't have the patience to keep up with what it going.

Heelz2315

So if anyone knows an email address to Dr Pam Hymel. She is the WD Co Chief Medical Officer. I have a hunch she'd know how they decide to impose or relax covid measures in the parks. I looked but can't find one anywhere. Not that she'd actually answer but it'd be worth a shot.

Lilofan

So if anyone knows an email address to Dr Pam Hymel. She is the WD Co Chief Medical Officer. I have a hunch she'd know how they decide to impose or relax covid measures in the parks. I looked but can't find one anywhere. Not that she'd actually answer but it'd be worth a shot.
You can send her a message via Linkedin.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I have a hunch she isn't allowed to share that information.

bdearl41

I’m getting the feeling masks aren’t going anywhere. Sadly. Maybe it’s capitulation on my end but I’m giving up hope as there will always be the next variant.

bdearl41

The dominoes are falling. The New York Times, Washington Post, and The Atlantic have all been running op-eds saying enough is enough and it's time to unmask kids after Omicron.
Do you think those in charge will admit defeat or that the lynchpin of their Covid plan doesn’t work anymore? I don’t see it. I hope you’re right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom