News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Depends which day recently you want to use as an example.
I respectfully disagree. Here is why.

If people wanted to wear masks and thought it was a good policy they would do so.

If you identify as a male and go to the bathroom anywhere at the parks you will notice something immediately.

You are indoors in a crowd and no one is wearing a mask.

When I’m using the bathroom if 1 in 10 people have a mask on that’s a shock.

The point is as soon as no one is looking the masks come off immediately by the overwhelming majority.

If people where going to the parks because they thought masks made them safer this would not be happening.

Let’s be real, if your comfortable subjecting yourself to the crowding that occurs on even a slow day at the MK, your not very worried about the virus.

Purduevian

If people wanted to wear masks and thought it was a good policy they would do so.

If you identify as a male and go to the bathroom anywhere at the parks you will notice something immediately.

The point is as soon as no one is looking the masks come off immediately by the overwhelming majority.

If people where going to the parks because they thought masks made them safer this would not be happening.

Let’s be real, if your comfortable subjecting yourself to the crowding that occurs on even a slow day at the MK, your not very worried about the virus.
I don't think anyone here has the full picture on if/ how much the masks affect attendance at WDW for instance:

I identify as a male and have been to my local amusement (obviously not Disney) park twice this summer. With masks not required anywhere in the park, I still put mine on to use the restroom and I wasn't the only one.

I will be going to Disney soon with my family. We would not be going if masks weren't required on indoor rides. So there is at least +7 attendance on those days because they have a mask policy. I have no idea if the masks are a net positive or negative for Disney's attendance and I don't really think anyone can know that.

PaulZ

There's also a good amount of people (and probably a majority) like me that aren't all that bothered by it and understand it's a reasonable request.
Reasonable request? Yes. Do I like them making it mandatory indoors? No. Would I wear one indoors if it wasn’t required? Doubtful.

I’m hoping we are soon getting to a place where it isn’t for those of us who got vaccinated again. Next weekend we are going to MK. It’s the first time I’ve been to a park at all since January 2020 I think. My wife and kids went once in September 2020. We ate breakfast at whatever it is Canyon Cafe and then I went home, they went to the park. So, this will be my first experience mask wearing in a park.

mikejs78

Premium Member
One quick look at my touring plans app shows those wait times are not even close to real.

Don’t confuse Disneys grossly overinflated wait times with the parks being busy.

Masks were still required in May/early June and attendance was surging even before Disney lifted the mask mandate(by pandemic standards) because cases were dropping at the time. Once Delta started attendance cratered.

This has nothing to do with masking and everything to do with the level of COVID spread in the state of FL. All the data points to that.

Trauma

I don't think anyone here has the full picture on if/ how much the masks affect attendance at WDW for instance:

I identify as a male and have been to my local amusement (obviously not Disney) park twice this summer. With masks not required anywhere in the park, I still put mine on to use the restroom and I wasn't the only one.

I will be going to Disney soon with my family. We would not be going if masks weren't required on indoor rides. So there is at least +7 attendance on those days because they have a mask policy. I have no idea if the masks are a net positive or negative for Disney's attendance and I don't really think anyone can know that.
I would think it’s a pretty clear signal you are losing business, if the vast majority of your customers who are using your product completely disagree with or begrudgingly tolerate your policies.

Most people who share your risk assessment of the virus don’t carry your strange view that being surrounded by crowds and unmasked “rule breakers” is perfectly safe and acceptable.

It’s almost as if people think it’s the policy itself that protects them, instead of the implementation of said policy.

Trauma

Masks were still required in May/early June and attendance was surging even before Disney lifted the mask mandate(by pandemic standards) because cases were dropping at the time. Once Delta started attendance cratered.

This has nothing to do with masking and everything to do with the level of COVID spread in the state of FL. All the data points to that.
Oh come on.

Surging from what ?

Zero?

To pretend that mask policy has no effect on attendance is beyond delusional.

Chi84

Premium Member
The fact that people comply with mask rules doesn't necessarily mean they agree the rules are reasonable or necessary. They comply because following the rules is the right thing to do. When WDW lifted mask mandates in May/June, everyone took off the masks. It's doubtful they all simultaneously changed their minds about the effectiveness of masks.

dreday3

The fact that people comply with mask rules doesn't necessarily mean they agree the rules are reasonable or necessary. They comply because following the rules is the right thing to do. When WDW lifted mask mandates in May/June, everyone took off the masks. It's doubtful they all simultaneously changed their minds about the effectiveness of masks.

It really is such an easy concept to grasp. I'm wearing a mask while there (where required) because I have to, not because I want to or do I even think it's necessary in some circumstances (I'm looking at you Everest... :D ).

Lilofan

Could be. But I'm not convinced. The people who tend to be extremely pro-mask also tend to be the people who are still uncomfortable in large crowds, particularly large crowds with no gatekeeping around vaccination status.
I believe that All Lives Matter , so that's why I wear a mask to protect myself and others around me.

CaptainAmerica

To pretend that mask policy has no effect on attendance is beyond delusional.
And it's not just Disney's mask policy. I've been to Disney twice because, while masks are annoying, they're not a big deal for us. But my son is almost two and we won't be going anywhere that requires masks after his birthday. The airlines are a much bigger problem than WDW itself.

Lilofan

And it's not just Disney's mask policy. I've been to Disney twice because, while masks are annoying, they're not a big deal for us. But my son is almost two and we won't be going anywhere that requires masks after his birthday. The airlines are a much bigger problem than WDW itself.
Flew several times, and many warnings been given out by flight crew on the intercom . If non compliance with proper mask wearing then will be subject to banned from airline and or arrested at final destination.

Purduevian

I would think it’s a pretty clear signal you are losing business, if the vast majority of your customers who are using your product completely disagree with or begrudgingly tolerate your policies.

Most people who share your risk assessment of the virus don’t carry your strange view that being surrounded by crowds and unmasked “rule breakers” is perfectly safe and acceptable.

It’s almost as if people think it’s the policy itself that protects them, instead of the implementation of said policy.

Just curious, where are you getting these "Vast Majority" and "Most People". Again you might be right that it is vast majority don't like the mask policy, but I just haven't seen any data on that. I am simply providing a counterargument here showing that at least 7 extra people will be in the parks for a few days because of this policy. I have no idea if they have lost way more than that.

I also don't think my risk assessment is that strange:
1. I am vaccinated so I don't feel the need to be masked around others while outside most of the time (per CDC guide lines)
2. I plan to wear my mask when things get crowded outside (fireworks would be an example) (per CDC guide lines)
3. I will wear my mask indoors because Disney is in a high transmission area (per CDC guide lines)
4. I wish everyone would wear a mask in the bathroom. However I recognize the significant difference in the 10 or so people in the restroom with potential to have Covid*, vs the 30+ that can be with me in a tight preshow or queue area filling in all available space.

Again I'm NOT saying that the majority of WDW guest agree with the mask policy and that it is not affecting their attendance. However, no one has shown me one way or the other if the mask policy affects attendance, but people keep trying to argue with their own personal feelings. Give me some data and I am happy to agree with you!

One source from last month: "Support for instituting, or reinstituting, state-based face mask and social distancing guidelines has increased in the past few months. Currently, 63% support these measures in their state, which is up from 52% in July. " https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_091521/

*as a side note, yes I do my best to space myself from people in restrooms especially if they are masksless, but that is a big difference to me that I can choose my path, spot in the restroom vs the lack of control I have in a quene/preshow of who is standing directly next to me.

Trauma

Just curious, where are you getting these "Vast Majority" and "Most People". Again you might be right that it is vast majority don't like the mask policy, but I just haven't seen any data on that. I am simply providing a counterargument here showing that at least 7 extra people will be in the parks for a few days because of this policy. I have no idea if they have lost way more than that.

I also don't think my risk assessment is that strange:
1. I am vaccinated so I don't feel the need to be masked around others while outside most of the time (per CDC guide lines)
2. I plan to wear my mask when things get crowded outside (fireworks would be an example) (per CDC guide lines)
3. I will wear my mask indoors because Disney is in a high transmission area (per CDC guide lines)
4. I wish everyone would wear a mask in the bathroom. However I recognize the significant difference in the 10 or so people in the restroom with potential to have Covid*, vs the 30+ that can be with me in a tight preshow or queue area filling in all available space.

Again I'm NOT saying that the majority of WDW guest agree with the mask policy and that it is not affecting their attendance. However, no one has shown me one way or the other if the mask policy affects attendance, but people keep trying to argue with their own personal feelings. Give me some data and I am happy to agree with you!

One source from last month: "Support for instituting, or reinstituting, state-based face mask and social distancing guidelines has increased in the past few months. Currently, 63% support these measures in their state, which is up from 52% in July. " https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_091521/

*as a side note, yes I do my best to space myself from people in restrooms especially if they are masksless, but that is a big difference to me that I can choose my path, spot in the restroom vs the lack of control I have in a quene/preshow of who is standing directly next to me.
It’s simple, I observe the action of others.

If the vast majority supported the policy they would follow it, don’t you agree?

Also who cares what polls say. Most people in this country are sadly scared to speak their truth for fear of the mob.

I don’t care what people say. I care what people do.

Chi84

Premium Member
However, no one has shown me one way or the other if the mask policy affects attendance, but people keep trying to argue with their own personal feelings. Give me some data
You can bet Disney knows. That’s why, when the CDC changed its guidelines in May/June, Disney followed them even though they knew full well there was no way to determine who was or was not vaccinated and even though a large number of its guests (children) were not yet able to be vaccinated.

Purduevian

It’s simple, I observe the action of others.

If the vast majority supported the policy they would follow it, don’t you agree?

Also who cares what polls say. Most people in this country are sadly scared to speak their truth for fear of the mob.

I don’t care what people say. I care what people do.
So there is nothing I could post or link that would change your mind that Disney is NOT loosing attendance over their mask policy? If so, I'm sorry I wasted both of our time and anyone else reading this.

Trauma

So there is nothing I could post or link that would change your mind that Disney is NOT loosing attendance over their mask policy? If so, I'm sorry I wasted both of our time and anyone else reading this.
You can post a poll of Disney guests who actively visit the parks.

If you have to use a poll at least that would be better.

Better yet just observe the reality in real time at the parks.

Go to a indoor space where no one is enforcing the rules and measure mask compliance.

If it is greater than 25% over a full day sample size then I’ll gift to you all my DVC points. That’s how sure I’m am it won’t be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom