News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Chipperson

I picked up dinner tonight and the restaurant had a sign on the door saying masks are required, so I wore mine. I walked inside and they had 2 employees behind the counter - neither of them had a mask. The best part was the employee getting annoyed at me because he couldn't understand what i said through my mask as if I was wearing it just to make his job more difficult.

Lil Copter Cap

Do you think it's disrespectful to not wear a mask if the employees are wearing them? Aren't the employees just as likely to assume you're unvaccinated as they are to assume you're being respectful? Or do you tell them you're vaccinated but that you are being respectful to them?
I did not say it was disrespectful. I simply said why I continue to wear mine. If employers are going to require it for employees, I find that their requests should align with what is being asked of guests.

I also worked retail at the height of the pandemic and know that I would personally appreciate the sentiment even now. Again, I speak for myself. Wearing a mask—even if not required any longer—shouldn’t upset anyone. If anything, I’m keeping my germs to myself a little longer. :)

Chi84

Premium Member
I did not say it was disrespectful. I simply said why I continue to wear mine. If employers are going to require it for employees, I find that their requests should align with what is being asked of guests.

I also worked retail at the height of the pandemic and know that I would personally appreciate the sentiment even now. Again, I speak for myself. Wearing a mask—even if not required any longer—shouldn’t upset anyone. If anything, I’m keeping my germs to myself a little longer. :)
I’m sure everyone appreciated mask-wearing at the height of the pandemic, when there were no highly effective vaccines. Things are different now, though, right? I certainly don’t care if people want to continue to wear masks, but I don’t see how they are a sign of respect if you’re vaccinated and don’t pose a risk to anyone.

tallica

Universal Studios Orlando has lifted its mask mandate for employees who are fully vaccinated, according to the theme park, WKMG reported.
Fully vaccinated team members will not have to wear face coverings while on stage, indoors, or outdoors. However, masks are still to be worn, regardless of vaccination status, in vehicles and spaces where social distancing can not be maintained, the parks said.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you think it's disrespectful to not wear a mask if the employees are wearing them? Aren't the employees just as likely to assume you're unvaccinated as they are to assume you're being respectful? Or do you tell them you're vaccinated but that you are being respectful to them?

the stance is more of an “all for one...one for all” approach.

I can appreciate that. The masks will go away...but it will take time. Some people have varying comfort levels with this whole thing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In some cases people just aren't paying close attention to the removal of mask requirements. They see others wearing them and think they still have to. A friend of mine was at Publix about a week after they removed the requirement and was behind somebody wearing two masks at the checkout line. Wanting to be nice, he asked the person if he was uncomfortable because he (my friend) wasn't wearing a mask and offered to put one on even though Publix doesn't require them anymore if you are vaccinated. The guy said, "they don't?" and proceeded to remove both masks.

Other cases are people (even vaccinated) who treat the mask like a security blanket and are reluctant to stop wearing them. To each their own. I'd imagine that when WDW drops the indoor requirement, over half of people will still wear them for a while.

I am still wearing a mask in a lot of stores since it's just easier then trying to figure out their policy. I went to my local Wawa and there was a big professionally printed sign on the outside door saying masks required for all customers, and then a small printed sign on the inner door saying vaccinated people don't need to wear a mask.

Last edited:

Ripken10

I am still wearing a mask in a lot of stores since it's just easier then trying to figure out their policy. I went to my local Wawa and there was a big professionally printed sign on the outside door saying masks required for all customers, and then a small printed sign on the inner door saying vaccinated people don't need to wear a mask.
Some stores have so many signs on the door now (many covid related), I find myself searching them trying to find if one says mask required that I give up and just put the mask on...only to walk inside and see half the people without mask on

JusticeDisney

I’m sure everyone appreciated mask-wearing at the height of the pandemic, when there were no highly effective vaccines. Things are different now, though, right? I certainly don’t care if people want to continue to wear masks, but I don’t see how they are a sign of respect if you’re vaccinated and don’t pose a risk to anyone.
Well therein lies your confusion. Being vaccinated most certainly cuts down your risk to others significantly, but it does not necessarily eliminate it altogether. Don’t get me wrong, I fully support vaccinated people not wearing masks (indeed, that’s the category I fall into), however it is incorrect to say that a vaccinated person does not pose any risk at all to others.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well therein lies your confusion. Being vaccinated most certainly cuts down your risk to others significantly, but it does not necessarily eliminate it altogether. Don’t get me wrong, I fully support vaccinated people not wearing masks (indeed, that’s the category I fall into), however it is incorrect to say that a vaccinated person does not pose any risk at all to others.
The CDC has taken the position that vaccinated people are protected from infection and do not need to wear masks. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but I’ll go with the experts on this one.

JusticeDisney

The CDC has taken the position that vaccinated people are protected from infection and do not need to wear masks. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but I’ll go with the experts on this one.
Well, your response has nothing to do with what I said. I never said vaccinated people aren’t protected. To get back on topic with what I did actually say, the CDC has said that it is unknown whether vaccinated people can still spread the virus to others. Therefore, since you want to follow the experts (as you just admitted), your prior statement that vaccinated people pose no risk to others is simply incorrect. That’s what I was pointing out to you.

Chi84

Premium Member
Just like last year when they said all adults should mask and do their part?
Yes. They were right to do so even though I personally thought some of their recommendations, like masks outdoors and on very young children, were overly cautious. I followed their guidelines then despite being told I had no business being uncomfortable wearing a mask. I’m not going to stop following the guidelines now. This is especially true since some people are now using masks not to control the spread of the virus, but to show perceived respect or express solidarity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom